• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell Special Edition DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:46 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Then why did the trailer give PM a female voice in the scene right after spoiler[the cyborg body was hit by a truck?]
Because it was just a trailer?
Does this DVD have anything added to it that the original VHS didn't? Additions like edited cuts re-inserted, or summat?
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Does this thing have the Brian Eno and/or original closing song?

I hear tell that it's the Eno track.

Edit: just checked the original DVD released in Australia. The unmerged Puppetmaster has a male voice at all times - speaking through the original pirated shell, to Motoko, and also through Motoko to Bateau. Obviously the final merged entity speaks with the female voice of the host body. There is only 1 trailer for GitS on the disc, in English only, and there is no female voice heard from the pirate shell (the male voiceover continues over the top of a shot of the shell speaking).
moonball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
But the question is - if you already have the orginal GitS DVD is it worth buying another copy of it?

I have the original, and first in the list of features on the back is "Digitally Remastered."

In the review, a point was made about digital remastering, but it seems as though that is not a new feature.

My guess is that the movie disk is the same as in the original DVD release, and that the Special Edition gives you the 'extras' disk. Which, for me, doesn't make this a must-have.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I checked my special edition (US released). The original (dub) GitS trailer has a womans voice, but in the dubbed movie, the same clip is a male voice, the voice of the puppet master. I wonder why they did that? Maybe when the trailer was made, the english voice actor for the PM hadn't been cast or wasn't available at the time. Or maybe they just wanted to throw people off, I really don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
I checked my special edition (US released). The original (dub) GitS trailer has a womans voice, but in the dubbed movie, the same clip is a male voice, the voice of the puppet master. I wonder why they did that? Maybe when the trailer was made, the english voice actor for the PM hadn't been cast or wasn't available at the time. Or maybe they just wanted to throw people off, I really don't know.
I would guess it was the former, rather than the latter.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:39 am Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
Maybe when the trailer was made, the english voice actor for the PM hadn't been cast

Hmmm that implies that they seriously considered changing the PM from JP male to EN female. Or that the trailer producer hadn't seen the original film Smile
napalm68

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
moonball wrote:
radicaledward wrote:
But the question is - if you already have the orginal GitS DVD is it worth buying another copy of it?

I have the original, and first in the list of features on the back is "Digitally Remastered."

In the review, a point was made about digital remastering, but it seems as though that is not a new feature.

My guess is that the movie disk is the same as in the original DVD release, and that the Special Edition gives you the 'extras' disk. Which, for me, doesn't make this a must-have.

Yeah, me too. The extras don't worry me, but a better transfer would. I have the recent R2 PAL "digitally remastered" one and the transfer isn't that great - some noticable digital artifacts - like digital noise on quick scene changeds from too low a bitrate at the time - other than the occasional one of those it is fine.

And no offence to the reviews on this site, they are great from an informational perspective (like if I'd like to buy something story wise), but they don't really do a technical review.
Rukusho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="napalm68']

And no offence to the reviews on this site, they are great from an informational perspective (like if I'd like to buy something story wise), but they don't really do a technical review.[/quote]

Yeah, I really liked it, but i was wondering. In the original copy, did everything have a purple tint? When I plugged my DVD into my computer, like everything was purplish. Is it just me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
jaguar_cult wrote:
The most hyped and overrated anime of all time.
Innocence blew the original away.

This.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
This.

Consider this a warning. It's honestly not a good idea to resurrect a four-year old thread for a one word reply, especially when it adds absolutely nothing of significance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2