• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tatakau Shisho Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I really like their sound, it's unique and unlike anything anyone else is doing. Personally I'm tired of chirpy girls singing about school and romance, I like their depressing, dreary themes.

Well, I'll agree that it's "unique and unlike anything anyone else is doing," to which I say "thank God for that." The high-pitched, rapid-lyric nasal drone of their music makes my brain hurt. Maybe its only their worst songs getting chosen for anime themes or something, but I'm somewhat loathe to believe that their other stuff constitutes crowning masterpieces.

I also think you're being really dismissive of anime OP/ED themes if you consider them all "chirpy girls singing about school and romance." I mean, returning to Phantom, the first opening is Kokia's lament about the endless cycle of rebirth due to our misdeeds. You don't get much darker than that. Or the first opening to the new Fullmetal Alchemist, about trying to reclaim things lost and how "this pain is welcome." I mean, gobs and gobs of anime openings have lyrics just as dark as any done by Ali Project, and they lack the chirpy laser-driven tunes that are what I truly despise about Ali Project.

I know, this is mostly totally off topic, but I dropped the series after one episode, so what else am I supposed to be talking about? Wink
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Man, I'm really bummed out reading this review and the accompanying thread. There's so many conflicting opinions, I'm not sure who to go with (since I see value in both, judging by the three episodes I've seen). Confused Although, disposable characters may be a deal breaker for me; got to have good characters...

Well, a theme for this series is how the dead affects the living. It extends well beyond Shiron. Other characters too have that effect. Carl should have gotten 2 arcs (9 episodes) under his belt before reviewing the title. It's really one big puzzle that has to be put together. You kind of don't see the hint as to what is fueling the "war" until the second arc ends.

Characters that you think are dropped may actually show up in later arcs due to that one theme I mentioned.

I like the title. It's one of the rare "thinking" titles this season. However, it is different so you might just want to watch it yourself and come to a decision.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I also think you're being really dismissive of anime OP/ED themes if you consider them all "chirpy girls singing about school and romance." Wink

Now, now, that's not what I said. I said I'm tired of that specific sound which is used far too often in anime, sometimes in shows that it just has no business being in. I never said I consider all anime themes to be that way. In fact I really enjoyed both the Bleach and FMA:B openings by YUI, I think she has a fantastic sound that's instantly recognizable, she'll be around for a long time. There are others I really like, too, but for me it's all about originality, I'm only dismissive towards the songs I feel like I've heard before all too often.

But I don't think it's fair to judge Ali Project on just the OPs and EDs that are selected from them, they are capable of a much broader range than their better known "warp speed" songs would lead you to believe. Seriously, go to Youtube and type in "Ali Project In The World" it's decidedly non-techno and very operatic and orchestral. I think "Chalk Ward" is accompanied by only a violin (or a cello?) and piano. "Martyr's Finger" is very Middle East inspired with techno base beat, but it's sung at a comfortable pace. It's these songs that are the reason why I enjoy AP, not the random mismatched anime openings they often end up in.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NDenizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, the way I see this anime is totally opposite - it brings all these impressive ideas and concepts together one after the other, so nothing remains standard or generic. And ultimately, it does all flow together very well, with arcs interlinking with eachother and memories and present day also connecting impressively. It's intelligent, creative, and yet it has no intention of taking itself too seriously.

If you want a trainwreck, you look at something like Code Geass that ran itself into the rails of every other generic mecha drama out there. Bantorra, however, is still in it's own world and doing what it wants.

It's meant to entertain and hand some cool ideas to you on the way, and I think it does it well. It's a fun and solid show that keeps things bobbing along, and probably one of the best shows of this season.

It could be better, but the flaws some people see are nice touches to my eyes.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Now, now, that's not what I said. I said I'm tired of that specific sound which is used far too often in anime, sometimes in shows that it just has no business being in. I never said I consider all anime themes to be that way.

I do agree with you on that, but if you look at your posts, it would be really easy to see what you said in that light.

Quote:
In fact I really enjoyed both the Bleach and FMA:B openings by YUI, I think she has a fantastic sound that's instantly recognizable, she'll be around for a long time. There are others I really like, too, but for me it's all about originality, I'm only dismissive towards the songs I feel like I've heard before all too often.

YUI is awesome, probably my favorite J-Pop singer since Do As Infinity broke up. See? We agree more than we disagree.

Quote:
But I don't think it's fair to judge Ali Project on just the OPs and EDs that are selected from them, they are capable of a much broader range than their better known "warp speed" songs would lead you to believe. Seriously, go to Youtube and type in "Ali Project In The World" it's decidedly non-techno and very operatic and orchestral. I think "Chalk Ward" is accompanied by only a violin (or a cello?) and piano. "Martyr's Finger" is very Middle East inspired with techno base beat, but it's sung at a comfortable pace. It's these songs that are the reason why I enjoy AP, not the random mismatched anime openings they often end up in.

Ah, okay. I'll check those out, and then probably amend my original comment to be "anime studios need to stop picking their worst songs for the OP/ED themes." I mean, you will admit, I hope, that most of these aren't exactly the best advertisement for the duo.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I mean, you will admit, I hope, that most of these aren't exactly the best advertisement for the duo.

Yes, I will admit that. Though, not because I don't like that sound, but because it gives the impression that it's the only sound they're capable of and cheapens their diversity, range, and scope. They look like a one-trick pony, but I think they could probably pull off any trick asked of them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2