• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Little Monster Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
I don't believe that Say, "I Love You" is deliberately misogynistic, but even so that is hardly an acceptable excuse. Some scenes - like Yamato and Mei at the diner in (I think) episode four - are really awkward; Yamato unintentionally comes across as treating Mei like a pet or small child. Then of course there's the fact that every girl bar Mei and Asami is either a complete cow or extremely shallow, or both.

But the show is still a good one that I look forward to watching every week. Even the horrible girl isn't as bad as first feared, possessing her own scars spoiler[(both literally and figuratively).]
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
My Little Monster is one of the best shows of the season. I love the quirky characters and lovely designs. I especially adore Oshima ("Class Rep"). Like the review points out, she's definitely one of the most unique "love rivals" out there.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
I mostly agree with this review. I, however, also disagree with the notion that episodes are cut off at arbitrary place. I also do not see the need to compare My Little Monster with Kimi ni Todoke just because they share the same director. I think all series should be judged on their own merits.

As far as my personal opinion goes, I like My Little Monster. It is entertaining, with characters easily to root for (for the most part) and I find Natsume absolutely adorable. I agree with RyanSaotome in that it has a very attractive art style.

My only concern is if 13 episodes (that is the length I have seen posted online) will fit the story. I am assuming more anime will be made if the BD/DVD's sell well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I, however, also disagree with the notion that episodes are cut off at arbitrary place.

I kind of get where Kimlinger is coming from with maybe two episodes, but others have been alright.

angelmcazares wrote:
I also do not see the need to compare My Little Monster with Kimi ni Todoke just because they share the same director.

I didn't even know that the guy who did Kimi ni Todoke was also doing this. Imagine my surprise when I read that in the review. The two shows share some broad similarities, but - except for the humour - they are handled rather differently. Kimi ni Todoke was slowly paced and focused on the side characters more and Sawako coming out of her shell. Whereas Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is faster paced and more dedicated to telling the story of Haru and Shizuku. The dynamics of the central relationship are also vastly different; the former has Shouta and Sawako tip-toeing round one another while the latter has Haru and Shizuku verbally slugging it out.

angelmcazares wrote:
I think all series should be judged on their own merits.

I don't see any harm in a little bit of relevant comparison (as I just did in the above paragraph). But when it comes time to judge a series it needs to be evaluated on its own. So I agree with you on this.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It seems like nowadays people are too reluctant to give shows that elusive A- rating in any category.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
It seems like nowadays people are too reluctant to give shows that elusive A- rating in any category.
Isn't that a good thing?
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Great review! Now if only someone would license the series for a DVD release...
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Ye, this is definitely an excellent series and my highlight of the Season so far. Every episode bought a smile on my face and the humor presented is well executed. I've also been following the manga of the series and enjoying both.

It was a great way to start off October tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:

I head that NIS might be interested in it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Quote:
− more character-based than plot-based;

Weird to see this as a negative, since thats one of the main reasons I'm liking it more than most shoujos. Character driven stuff is always far more interesting to me.

I was thinking the same thing. I understand that it could potentially be a negative to some people, but not universally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
phia_one wrote:

I head that NIS might be interested in it.

It's the kind of show I can imagine them being interested in. I hope not, though, because I doubt very much I'll want to rewatch it once its run on CR is done and I'm committed to buying all of NISA's Premium Editions. However, since I don't want those of you who are enjoying this more than I am to go without, I hope Sentai or Funi picks it up since I don't feel obligated to buy everything either company puts out.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
What a well-written and informative review - tells me exactly how Carl felt and why he liked it. I'll be checking this out now for sure, but big thumbs up for the writing here, most excellent!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
"...more character-based than plot-based..."

I'm going to pick on that too. This is like condemning an ecchi anime for having ecchi in it. It's kind of the point.

In an anime (or most any media, for that matter) that claims to target female audiences, the story MUST emphasize character and emotion, and sometimes prioritize it over the plot. Please improve your education regarding this before you review any more shoujo or josei titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2