• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds 3rd You're Under Arrest TV, Yozakura, Tayutama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

? Why should you get your money back? If you buy the latest Hollywood release on dvd, the store is supposed to give you your money back? You can walk out of a movie & get your money back, but you need to walk out before the movie ends.

That dose not always work even if you do and you can forget it if you buy a DVD or game, the industry wants it all their way, and for the most part has got it they got their inf copy rights they got their nit picking over distribution they managed to make media different than other retail and removed the right of return of bad products so why should I bother to pay for media when it dose everything it can do to do less for more.

The industry has made its bed and I have decided that we are better off if implodes and is replaced by something more efficient and affordable not only for the consumer but for those in business as well.

Quote:
I thought it was Power corrupts. It costs so damned much to get into ofc, more than any salary they earn, so it's power & kickbacks. We're well past the idea of citizen politicians.

Power dose corrupt but in a democracy(republic or otherwise) its more due to the lack of power the people have alot of power even still but refuse to use it thus those in power are able to do so mcuh more to gather power for them and theirs leaving the people to complain but little else. We are so far from the days of statesmen its sad...all we have are businessmen seeking more for them and a lil teeny tiny bit for their constitutions. Its simple the only way to make our current form of government work is remove lobbying and money from government.

Quote:

But why should this model have evolved?
Does it exist in any other form of entertainment?
And I see more & more people going for streaming on the official sites nowadays, dude.

So you are saying a stagnant and monopolistic business model dose not have to change to meet the times to stay in business?
Its like saying an authoritarian government dose not have to change just aim more guns at the populace....

it makes no sense.....

Sure the media industry is improving...but they are still a decade or 2 behind the rest of the world in ways to sell and drive interest in their products.
Quote:

I don't want cheap. I want a certain amount of quality for my money so I'm willing to pay a decent price. I understand the concept something that airs on tv has made a certain amount of its money & thus the dvds can sell cheaper bs something that was made as a pay-per-view or straight to dvd. I don't shop Walmart because my experience is things I buy there don't last as long as things bought elsewhere.

There is "cheap" and then there is spending as much as you can just cause its what everyone else dose.

The cheap I am referring to is a business model that keeps to cost and is able to hedge itself against popularity, not grab anything it can and sell it as mindlessly....

You balance price V cost you don;t change the dub much as its an all in one but that will always be were all your cost and price issues come from so you hedge against it with ad rev based streaming,direct ep sells and cheap sub dvds as well as bring in as much of the surrounding product(OST ,charatcer OST,ect) as you can and sell them anyway you can. But since media licensing wants alot of money up front its hard to do that, if things were more based on profit and less on assumed worth then things would be able to sell and profits would flow alot more than they are. But its going to be a long time before media licensing gets out of teh dark ages....

Quote:
And if a studio brings over a title I know had a snowball's chance in hell of being licensed, I am willing to pay a bit more.

Good for you you have money to burn, I do not and find fansubs to be the superior translation 8 times out of 10. The trouble with domestication is 3 fold the dubs ability to garner support from the sheeple, the subs ability to not piss off more hardcore anime fans and get them interested enough to buy(Shaman kings domestic release is a joke and then some....) and the ability of the over all production not to lose money.

Starting off with cheap subs is at least a way to hedge profit/lost and we see it in what chrunchroll is doing even if it has a long way to go yet. Company's themselves should get on the subing gig and offering 1-2$ a subed ep either online or via DVD if the qaulity is there I wont be far behind it.
=======================

While we are at this do mind if I ask you what you feel about copyright? IMO it should focus on profit if someone is distributing and is not making a profit (via unlicensed ad rev,donation or direct sale) then they can not be touched but if they are making money from it then they must submit to the media industry. This still makes 60-80% of today file shearing illicit. And fan groups will have to find a different way to survive since donations=profit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
Zippydsm wrote:
That dose not always work even if you do and you can forget it if you buy a DVD or game,

I take it you're under 30?
Believe it or not, we the people screwed up return policies--not Hollywood. Back in the 80's we had some excellent return policies-often didn't even need a receipt. Several stores put stock in customer satisfaction. I worked at Montgomery Ward then & we took back a lot of stuff that was obviously months old & well used. I knew a guy who bragged he was responsible for Lane Bryant dropping their policy which was wonderful & I honestly loved it. They wanted the customer to be satisfied so they took stuff back-no questions asked. What that guy did was take back clothes his wife had worn-gotten fair use out of-2, 3, 4 yrs after the clothes had been bought claiming he was not happy & wanted a refund of the full amount & got it.
Human nature killed return policies. Too many people would bring back a movie having watched it saying they didn't want it.

Zippydsm wrote:
the industry wants it all their way, and for the most part has got it they got their inf copy rights they got their nit picking over distribution they managed to make media different than other retail and removed the right of return of bad products so why should I bother to pay for media when it dose everything it can do to do less for more.

Whoa there.
What does "the industry" have to do with return policy?
Return policy is based on business pratice company by company. Defective product is always replaceable, even if it takes a trip to small claims court to fight with a business owner that doesn't recognise that fact.

Zippydsm wrote:
The industry has made its bed and I have decided that we are better off if implodes and is replaced by something more efficient and affordable not only for the consumer but for those in business as well.

We're not all into anarchy.
If I want a movie the day it's released, I'll probably be able to pick it up for around $15. If I wait a bit, I can probably get it for $10. If I wait more, I can probably get it for $5
You seem to think it should be $5 the first day.

Zippydsm wrote:
Power dose corrupt but in a democracy(republic or otherwise) its more due to the lack of power the people have alot of power even still but refuse to use it thus those in power are able to do so mcuh more to gather power for them and theirs leaving the people to complain but little else.

We get the government we deserve. How many people turn out to vote? Maybe half? So if a candidate wins with barely half the vote of half the voters, it's not really the voice of the people other than the people have spoken saying they can't be bothered to take the 15 minutes it takes to vote to cast that vote.

Zippydsm wrote:
So you are saying a stagnant and monopolistic business model dose not have to change to meet the times to stay in business?
Its like saying an authoritarian government dose not have to change just aim more guns at the populace....

An anime company making an honest return on the investment of time & money they put into a product is equal to a corrupt government?
Why does this model only apply to anime? Why should it be ok for someone to take their product from them, alter it(subtitles) & put it on the net for free?

Zippydsm wrote:
The cheap I am referring to is a business model that keeps to cost and is able to hedge itself against popularity, not grab anything it can and sell it as mindlessly....

You balance price V cost you don;t change the dub much as its an all in one but that will always be were all your cost and price issues come from so you hedge against it with ad rev based streaming,direct ep sells and cheap sub dvds as well as bring in as much of the surrounding product(OST ,charatcer OST,ect) as you can and sell them anyway you can. But since media licensing wants alot of money up front its hard to do that, if things were more based on profit and less on assumed worth then things would be able to sell and profits would flow alot more than they are. But its going to be a long time before media licensing gets out of teh dark ages....

This is a bit incoherant. I couldn't follow the language usage.
If I look for a deal on a movie that was huge box office, I'll probably be able to get a better deal than on a smaller title because the studio has estimated it will sell a certain number of copies. Since they figure they'll sell maybe half as many of an obscure but totally worthy title I might want, they'll ask more money.
Dub costs vary on whether you use union workers or not for one. The translation is based on the skill of the translator & then someone has to turn it into coherant english for the subs, and then the company selling it may feel the need to jazz it up. A title with a large cast is likely to cost a bit more to dub, don't you think?

[quote="Zippydsm"]Good for you you have money to burn, I do not and find fansubs to be the superior translation 8 times out of 10.

Excuse me? I'm a widow. I do not have money to burn, but I also understand fair value. Back in the '80's Safeway had a commercial-"You work an honest day. You want an honest deal" Yeah, I love a bargain as much as the next person, but I respect the fact the seller needs to make a fair profit.

Zippydsm wrote:
The trouble with domestication is 3 fold the dubs ability to garner support from the sheeple, the subs ability to not piss off more hardcore anime fans and get them interested enough to buy(Shaman kings domestic release is a joke and then some....) and the ability of the over all production not to lose money.

Where you at? We didn't get a Shaman King release here. That made a stab at releasing a couple dvds, but it fell buy the wayside with the YuGiOh dvds.
It's their bat & ball. If you don't like it, you don't buy it. That doesn't justify stealing it via fansubs.

Zippydsm wrote:
While we are at this do mind if I ask you what you feel about copyright? IMO it should focus on profit if someone is distributing and is not making a profit (via unlicensed ad rev,donation or direct sale) then they can not be touched but if they are making money from it then they must submit to the media industry. This still makes 60-80% of today file shearing illicit. And fan groups will have to find a different way to survive since donations=profit.

I view art as a tangible thing just like anything anyone makes. I see no difference between a fence & a story. Someone slaved to make both, but one can go to jail for stealing a fence while downloading a fansub is supposed to be ok?
No.
I have no problem whatsoever with the person who wrote that story retaining the right to his/her words forever. If that person built a house, that house could be deeded to his/her survivors. If the creator sells the house, the person who bought it has the right to do with it as the buyer sees fiut. Someone couldn't break a window & let people stay in the rooms against the owner's will,so why should it be ok for fansubbers to violate anime makers in a similar fashion?
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
uhg I hate dailup >< I am getting 500 internal error when I try and post the whole thing... breaking it up into 2 or 3 messages,sorry fo the inconvenience...

[quote="CCSYueh"]
Quote:
I take it you're under 30?
Believe it or not, we the people screwed up return policies--not Hollywood. Back in the 80's we had some excellent return policies-often didn't even need a receipt. Several stores put stock in customer satisfaction. I worked at Montgomery Ward then & we took back a lot of stuff that was obviously months old & well used. I knew a guy who bragged he was responsible for Lane Bryant dropping their policy which was wonderful & I honestly loved it. They wanted the customer to be satisfied so they took stuff back-no questions asked. What that guy did was take back clothes his wife had worn-gotten fair use out of-2, 3, 4 yrs after the clothes had been bought claiming he was not happy & wanted a refund of the full amount & got it.
Human nature killed return policies. Too many people would bring back a movie having watched it saying they didn't want it.

35ish actually ,this reminds me of "causation dose not equal correlation" where people decry violent media is harming people.
Perhaps the problem is not the return process but the fact they took back just about anything. The 14-30day returns that must be compelte and not to scuffed up during the early to mid 90s were perfect the fact the industry could not handle it and deiced to to cut the loss and further their bottom line upon the public dose not legitimize the move. The more you restrict returns,ect the more people you push away.

Quote:

Whoa there.
What does "the industry" have to do with return policy?
Return policy is based on business pratice company by company. Defective product is always replaceable, even if it takes a trip to small claims court to fight with a business owner that doesn't recognise that fact.

The industry would be the Copy right owners since CP creators are treated like cows who are fed to sheeple....

Defective product<Abhorred product, the problem with media not everyone is going to like it or stand it if games where under 20$ and films under 10 and music under 5 I would not worry so much over every little thing I spend. Tho looking at how things are evolving in 10 + years with a more wireless world renting media constantly sounds like a seemingly sound reality.

Quote:

We're not all into anarchy.
If I want a movie the day it's released, I'll probably be able to pick it up for around $15. If I wait a bit, I can probably get it for $10. If I wait more, I can probably get it for $5
You seem to think it should be $5 the first day.

I over play my love of anarchy for a lack of the ability to eliquate my disdain for what is before me...(and I think I can write to boot LOL)

Why not? we have the tech and infrastructure to do this they can have day one DVDs, tho I think 10$ dvds 5$ downloads would be smarter as more would but the DVDs then after 6 or so months you get to release a unedited DVD then after another 6 months a final directors cut. The less time you leave people waiting the more chances people will pour in to legitimate sources to buy stuff legally, I mean come on the "industry" through its infinite wisdom has made theater business model difficult to keep up without rising rates to keep the hollywood execs in cocaine....

My point is the more you delay legal distribution the more you open yourself(if you were a business) for "unwanted" and true illegal distribution. Modern media is all about time and hitting the market at when distraction to your product is at critical max.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We get the government we deserve. How many people turn out to vote? Maybe half? So if a candidate wins with barely half the vote of half the voters, it's not really the voice of the people other than the people have spoken saying they can't be bothered to take the 15 minutes it takes to vote to cast that vote.

So all the authoritarian states and dictatorships are made legitimate because the people are not fighting hard enough? *snorts* Ack shades of truth shades of truth...sorry sorry... we got what we got because we as a hole can not do better, this sums up humanity quite well.

Quote:
An anime company making an honest return on the investment of time & money they put into a product is equal to a corrupt government?
Why does this model only apply to anime? Why should it be ok for someone to take their product from them, alter it(subtitles) & put it on the net for free?

Depends on how large the company is Razz
but really no I might not have stated clearly enough that I am noming on 2 or 3 different rants.

I am sure I'll be getting into this below but I will make this one quick copy right ,IMO, is a business X business issue, if you are not making money off it you are not a business.

Quote:

This is a bit incoherant. I couldn't follow the language usage.
If I look for a deal on a movie that was huge box office, I'll probably be able to get a better deal than on a smaller title because the studio has estimated it will sell a certain number of copies. Since they figure they'll sell maybe half as many of an obscure but totally worthy title I might want, they'll ask more money.
Dub costs vary on whether you use union workers or not for one. The translation is based on the skill of the translator & then someone has to turn it into coherant english for the subs, and then the company selling it may feel the need to jazz it up. A title with a large cast is likely to cost a bit more to dub, don't you think?

Incoherence is my friend and the bane upon which I bring suffering to others! I am intellectually incoherent to many trains of thought and not enough booze .....er knowledge to keep them all running smoothly. Razz Learning disabilities FTW!!

I have 2 or 3 points floating around in that sewerage oh and thank you for finding the time to try and read it alot of people give up befor I really annoy them with my trains of thought Razz

Point one is price, I don't see much fluctuation in price on dubs about every 10-2X eps can be rounded down to 2-4$ an ep. Standardized pricing would be nice and not to hard to do as you have more larger players in the anime filed like funimation than smaller groups.

Offering more venues(subscription/ad based streaming,direct streaming and direct download) to get the eps out is my other thought in that, and we see it bit by bit its slowly comming together but I wonder if anime will last as it is now(high production cost) when things will become easier to sale(easier to sale means more market/more places saleing it).

And the last rant in that was about the extras OSTs,posters,pictures anythign and everything it the process was smoother and based more on whats made vrs the worth of sub parts(paying fees up front instead of waiting until a profit is made) would help keep things greased.

Quote:

Excuse me? I'm a widow. I do not have money to burn, but I also understand fair value. Back in the '80's Safeway had a commercial-"You work an honest day. You want an honest deal" Yeah, I love a bargain as much as the next person, but I respect the fact the seller needs to make a fair profit.

If I am lucky I might have 300 to spend on media a year, the world is beyond me and I am lucky enough to have any discretionary money at all over the years of being disappointed by the game industry from dumbed down and poorly thought through products and begin just disenfranchised from modern media altogether the vast majority of my media consumption is what I can get from the kings land, an apple for the starved soul sustains more than a apple in the hand...tho I can not say it dose much for the teeth, scratch hat it kills the teeth, don't download kiddies protect them choppers Razz.

Quote:

Where you at? We didn't get a Shaman King release here. That made a stab at releasing a couple dvds, but it fell buy the wayside with the YuGiOh dvds.
It's their bat & ball. If you don't like it, you don't buy it. That doesn't justify stealing it via fansubs.

Odd I been looking to get the Funimation released Uncut shaman king but the subtitleing issues(they used the majority of the dub script on the uncut sub)really keep me from spending money on it
They did do the whole 5 disc boxset I know I saw it and it was not a china sub.... wait 5 eps max X 5 is 25...I guess they only did do half of it or almost half..... bah good thign I never pulled the trigger on that one I would have been soooo pissed Razz

YuGiOh never had a chance it was to long
Quote:

I view art as a tangible thing just like anything anyone makes. I see no difference between a fence & a story. Someone slaved to make both, but one can go to jail for stealing a fence while downloading a fansub is supposed to be ok?
No.
I have no problem whatsoever with the person who wrote that story retaining the right to his/her words forever. If that person built a house, that house could be deeded to his/her survivors. If the creator sells the house, the person who bought it has the right to do with it as the buyer sees fiut. Someone couldn't break a window & let people stay in the rooms against the owner's will,so why should it be ok for fansubbers to violate anime makers in a similar fashion?

The problem is its not just art its information its knowledge its the means to keep the soul from decaying into a state of discordance and ignorance. You must understand how those in power are shaping CP and IP and your very rights surrounding consumption if not how you consume altogether.

But with that said in part it should be finite and that finite part should be built and polished around profit. Because no one is going to be able to sustain sharing to much information as bandwidth is money but they as a individual they will be able to flex their right to be a fan to talk about, make fan stuff and just be part of the modern world of information without harming the ever changing multi trillion dollar world wide world of media to much.

PS:
Thank you for taking the time to talk to this strange drool speaking sleep walker!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
We are getting way way off topic here. Let's try and keep this discussion limited to the titles listed and the announcement, instead of turning this in to a broad political or economic discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
We are getting way way off topic here. Let's try and keep this discussion limited to the titles listed and the announcement, instead of turning this in to a broad political or economic discussion.

The fuzz is on us man run!!!
J/K Razz

I got a question every time I log in to reply to post it says "no post specified" and I have to go back a page or 2 reload then do it again with my loged in and it works fine 0-o
=============
CCSYueh
If you wish to continue this discussion I will be happy to in a new thread, tho I doubt there is a need since I am verbally/mentally challenged er.... challenging....mmmmm right!

Razz
Raider4000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Bah sub only sucks. Never bought a single sub only, my massive collection is dub for a reason so I can watch and listen to something! I speak English so that's what I want to hear plain and simple. And there's a reason why sub only titles sit on shelves for months/years never being sold, the average person isn't going to purchase something with a language they can't understand. I'll watch it in Japanese with subs if the dub actually completely sucks, but that's about it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
Raider4000 wrote:
Bah sub only sucks. Never bought a single sub only, my massive collection is dub for a reason so I can watch and listen to something! I speak English so that's what I want to hear plain and simple. And there's a reason why sub only titles sit on shelves for months/years never being sold, the average person isn't going to purchase something with a language they can't understand. I'll watch it in Japanese with subs if the dub actually completely sucks, but that's about it.

Your average person isn't buying anime regardless.
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Raider4000 wrote:

Your average person isn't buying anime regardless.

Bingo we haz a winner!
The US industry needs to realize this and cater to fans more, without the added cost of dubbing, since that is were the cost is make dubbing something only for stuff run on TV or something that has the time and money to do a proper dub. These quick dubs with loose translations is where all the profits are going.....
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Bingo we haz a winner!
The US industry needs to realize this and cater to fans more, without the added cost of dubbing, since that is were the cost is make dubbing something only for stuff run on TV or something that has the time and money to do a proper dub. These quick dubs with loose translations is where all the profits are going.....

If that does ever happen then the anime industry would become more niche than it already is.
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
[i]Bingo we haz a winner!
The US industry needs to realize this and cater to fans more, without the added cost of dubbing, since that is were the cost is make dubbing something only for stuff run on TV or something that has the time and money to do a proper dub. These quick dubs with loose translations is where all the profits are going....

If that does ever happen then the anime industry would become more niche than it already is.[/quote]

Ya but at least they could afford to bring over more shows, bacily they have to build the fan base and interest correctly and not waste so much time and profit on treating it like a US medium that caters to US whims(look at how poorly US comics do when they target one single demographic). Anime is a niche in the US because they treat it like cartoons and comics in the US.....
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Zippydsm wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
[i]Bingo we haz a winner!
The US industry needs to realize this and cater to fans more, without the added cost of dubbing, since that is were the cost is make dubbing something only for stuff run on TV or something that has the time and money to do a proper dub. These quick dubs with loose translations is where all the profits are going....

If that does ever happen then the anime industry would become more niche than it already is.

Quote:
Ya but at least they could afford to bring over more shows, bacily they have to build the fan base and interest correctly and not waste so much time and profit on treating it like a US medium that caters to US whims(look at how poorly US comics do when they target one single demographic). Anime is a niche in the US because they treat it like cartoons and comics in the US.....

When do they treat anime as cartoons?
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Hannish Lightning"][quote="Zippydsm"]
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Quote:

Most of the dubs on TV are treated as cartoons, or a medium meant for kids not kids,teens and adults. Even the ones that are more targeted at teens and adults are dubed with a mindset to dumb it down so kids can understand it.

What I am getting at the way they dub things is all wrong they are trying to force the show on the demographic instead of doing ti better so that people will flock to it.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zippydsm"][quote="Hannish Lightning"]
Zippydsm wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Quote:

Most of the dubs on TV are treated as cartoons, or a medium meant for kids not kids,teens and adults. Even the ones that are more targeted at teens and adults are dubed with a mindset to dumb it down so kids can understand it.

What I am getting at the way they dub things is all wrong they are trying to force the show on the demographic instead of doing ti better so that people will flock to it.

I've never seen an anime treated as a cartoon. Do you mean stuff like pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh? That's the only dubbed anime that's sort of treated like a cartoon I can think of.
Raider4000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I should rephrase average person since anime is a genre. The average anime buyer aka majority of us won't bother with sub only. The problem with the industry is the economy tanking and the pack of idiots downloading none stop without purchasing even 1 percent of the shows they download. Cartoon Network is fail now due to their recent changes over the years moving towards live action and comedy, good job for TBS and riding on Seth Green. It was much better when anime ruled the night, hell even Toonami was excellent back in the day, if it wasn't for toonami the anime industry wouldn't be were it is today in the states. Anyways like I said in this country we don't communicate in Japanese, the majority anime buyer want's a dub and that's why subs only never sell. The only people who will have the slightest interest in sub only would be the hardcore otaku, which isn't much. You're Under Arrest season 1 was great, good memories. The show in its entirety (season 2/3) is just another show that has fallen victim to a butchered distribution/licensing attempt in the Region 1 area as either a horrible dub or a sub only. And we probably never will get to fully enjoy these shows. Sad As you can see I'm super sad Sad I love You're Under Arrest Smile

Last edited by Raider4000 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7