• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Spice and Wolf DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...I'd be surprised if she isn't a regular in starring roles in the future.

Here's to hoping. It's odd, but I "discovered" her when I couldn't figure out who was doing the voicing. It was new to me, so a little digging and voila... #1 fan born.

Quote:
...but this review was already running long.

Are reviews limited to a set amount of characters?

I chuckled when I re-read the review and saw the label. I couldn't help but notice how in-depth the review went to separate the series from others but then gets slapped with a generic term.

Not that it's a bad thing, of course. The irony was just funny and I had to mention it. I enjoy your reviews, despite them being "short".
Wink
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
To Love-Ru (one of my next titles up for review)

You have my most sincere and heartfelt sympathy.
And this is coming from someone with a pretty high pain threshold when it comes to anime of that sort. Sad
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Key wrote:

And this is coming from someone with a pretty high pain threshold when it comes to anime of that sort. Sad

I've actually heard great things about To Love-Ru ... and now that I see the pun (To Love (To Rabu) and Trouble - har har) I'm actually amused and more interested. ^^
Karisu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but Brina took a completely different take on Holo, one I did not particularly like. She was more haughty and pompous as opposed to Ami Koshimizu playful/coy and sometimes lonely/sad/melancholic tone I so loved in the original voice work.

Makes her feel like a completely different character. I'm not sure if some of that blame can be put on the dub's director or if it all falls on Brina's hands, but either way, it resulted in me finding her performance to not be all that good and rather flat with her constant 'grand' tone. Ami's performance was much more nuanced.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
Key wrote:

I've actually heard great things about To Love-Ru ... and now that I see the pun (To Love (To Rabu) and Trouble - har har) I'm actually amused and more interested. ^^

It has its moments, but I think that it's one of those manga series which translates poorly to an anime - primarily because the gags get stretched even more, both in length and in scope. In the manga, the chapters are short enough that the gags don't quite overstay their welcome. In the anime, they tend to try and move in and live with you, so to speak. So, I want to like it, but far too often it just gets old fast. Still, like all things, some will enjoy and some won't.

In any case, this is a review for Spice and Wolf, which I find to be one of the best anime in recent years (and it was a good review too). Plenty of discussions on To Love-Ru will undoubtedly be had when its review gets posted. Personally, I expect that the review will put it in the mediocre range which Zac and Justin are always complaining about how difficult it is to review because it's not good enough to say much good about or bad enough to totally trash on. But we'll just have to wait and see.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
I'm sorry, but Brina took a completely different take on Holo, one I did not particularly like. She was more haughty and pompous as opposed to Ami Koshimizu playful/coy and sometimes lonely/sad/melancholic tone I so loved in the original voice work.

Makes her feel like a completely different character. I'm not sure if some of that blame can be put on the dub's director or if it all falls on Brina's hands, but either way, it resulted in me finding her performance to not be all that good and rather flat with her constant 'grand' tone. Ami's performance was much more nuanced.

Personal tastes do differ don't they. I actually much preferred Brina's tone and delivery as Holo, it just made more sense to me. A very old and wise wolf goddess who travels with a VERY young by comparison human, I would expect a little bit of attitude in the voice as a show of experience and pride, as well as to show she should be taken seriously despite how frail she looks in human form.

It also gives more emotional impact to scenes when Holo expresses her loneliness as it's much more noticeable that she has let her guard down. Maybe that wasn't the original intent but it works better for me, while I just couldn't "get into" Ami's performance as it just came off as far too submissive and weak in my opinion. But hey, the beauty of a bilingual release is that you can the choose the one you like best.
Umino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I must be the only person out there that was bored with this series.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Umino wrote:

I'd think not, but many people who are likely to find the subject matter uninteresting are able to avoid the show based on the description, I think.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Umino wrote:

I'd think not, but many people who are likely to find the subject matter uninteresting are able to avoid the show based on the description, I think.

That and there's a tendency for the folks who comment on the internet to be a bit opinionated about whatever it is that they're talking about. If they don't care, they're a lot less likely to say something. So, the most likely comments are those saying that they really liked it and those saying that they really hated it. The "meh" crowded isn't likely to say much.

Of course, I'd say that with Spice and Wolf, the description is such that people are more likely to not watch (thinking that it would have been boring) when they would have liked it then they are to watch it and then think that it's boring. But I could be wrong about that. It's just that the description really doesn't make it sound very interesting, so I expect that that scares off a fair amount of folks. But I don't know how you'd ever describe it such that it would really get across what it is and why it's good. That's difficult to do at the best of times, but Spice and Wolf is so different that it's that much harder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5