• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Home Alone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've never liked the Evangelion dub. Shinji just sounds too old to me. Probably because I watched this in Japanese first, I could never get used to Misato's English voice.

I was 14 once in a past life, and I thought Shinji's voice was just about right for a teenage boy. And I understand the original had a lot of issues, but of all voices to have a problem with, Misato? We definitely agree to disagree there, and this coming from a fan of Kotono Mitsuishi!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
A snow leopard in the Caribbean? And it died before the first episode? Can anyone guess what it must have died from? The clue is in the name of its species. Rolling Eyes I don't think so.
As for the EVA rebuild, you know it's all going to end in tears again. Wink
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Quote:
I've never liked the Evangelion dub. Shinji just sounds too old to me. Probably because I watched this in Japanese first, I could never get used to Misato's English voice.

I was 14 once in a past life, and I thought Shinji's voice was just about right for a teenage boy. And I understand the original had a lot of issues, but of all voices to have a problem with, Misato? We definitely agree to disagree there, and this coming from a fan of Kotono Mitsuishi!

Oh, so agreed. Allison Keith's Misato is my primary reason for occasionally hitting the 'audio' button back to the English setting. I'm actually torn as to who I liked better in the role - Allison Keith, or Kotono Mitsuishi, which is nuts, because Kotono Mitsuishi is one of my favourite VAs, and I generally don't like dubs.
Shinji's dub voice wasn't too bad when he was talking. There were quite a few times where I thought his voice was kind of cute, and fit him quite nicely. His screams however...Megumi Ogata was much better at screaming.
coyote1284

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
Evangelion 1.0 effectively "rebuilds" the groundwork for the proceeding films. There would be no context for new viewers if they started with the second movie. 1.0 is not to me taken alone, nor is it to be shoe-horned into the frame of the original work.

The new Evangelion is like a pitcher who has been out of the game for a couple seasons after an injury, but when he comes back he's throwing only fast balls, but they're somehow faster than before. Just when you think you got the timing down and hit a foul, the next ball falls low and outside. As you walk away from the plate you think, "He must be getting tired. I'll get a base next time." Next time you're at bat, the pitcher is throwing you crazy curve balls. The pitcher threw some curve balls in the past, but they were wild and uncontrolled, but these seem to have "purpose" behind them. The pitcher is more mature now and is not throwing curve balls just for the sake of throwing curve balls, these are more controlled, they go exactly where the pitcher wants. It's more unsettling because you can see where they're going, but you can't quite hit them.

You must forget the original to effectively understand the Rebuild. That is never more apparent in the last scene of 1.0, the preview of 2.0 at the end of 1.0 credits, and 2.0 itself. This is the new sh...tuff.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
I finally got this from Netflix and watched it last night. Maybe my impression of the original dub was skewed by the fact I saw it dubbed first, but I never thought it was as awful as so many seem to think. The movie was solid - script accuracy was better than many Funi dubs, and the replacement cast seemed to fit well. The only significantly different dub voices so far seem to have been Toji and Kensuke, but the different voices were fine by me. I am waiting on the Blu-Ray, and am now very anxious to see the next movie!

As far as the original TV series, I have watched the Platinum edition in their entirety in both languages, and I can enjoy the series in either language.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I finally got this from Netflix and watched it last night. Maybe my impression of the original dub was skewed by the fact I saw it dubbed first, but I never thought it was as awful as so many seem to think. The movie was solid - script accuracy was better than many Funi dubs, and the replacement cast seemed to fit well. The only significantly different dub voices so far seem to have been Toji and Kensuke, but the different voices were fine by me. I am waiting on the Blu-Ray, and am now very anxious to see the next movie!

As far as the original TV series, I have watched the Platinum edition in their entirety in both languages, and I can enjoy the series in either language.

Yeah, I love/loathe the series depending on what part I'm watching in both languages. I guess I never saw what was so abhorrent about the original dub, either...it's definitely not the best, there are some very awkward hiccups throughout it, but by about the mid-point, I thought it had gotten much better and was actually very good. Only exception to this was Kaworu's VA. ...I don't know what was wrong with him. That was not good. But then again, all of ep. 24 is an embarrassing and horribly executed mess, so hey, how much damage can one iffy english actor do?

The reason I like listening to shows like this in dub in particular (although I always like listening in dub) is because I think it helps me to strip away the BS about whether a series is really good. When you hear a series in sub, you hear only the very best of what you imagine in your head. Even after I learned more Japanese and learned how to pick out different acting styles and stereotypes, Japanese is still going to sound more idealized to me because it's foreign, and if the person's vocal timbre is rich and interesting (Jouji Nakata, OMG,) the acting could be meh and the writing could be stupid and I think I'd never know...much. I hear a powerful voice and I digest an entire line as a feeling instead of maybe processing it as dialogue that followed another line that may or may not be natural. Again, I try to avoid this, but it is more difficult. Everything's more impressive in sub.

Now take the same scene with a good dub, (the bad ones are discounted, and they're very easy to spot and recoil from,) and the magic of the language barrier is gone. You're hearing the lines as they were meant to be heard, with their good or bad timing, whether that be for comedy or drama. If the actors are fitting, and 90% of the time now, they are, you can tell if that character you thought was so charming and moe at first is just annoying and repetitive, or if their big confession was just melodramatic schlock. Maybe you could kinda tell it was at first, but were enchanted by the emotion of the seiyuu and once it's put in context, it's just VERY obvious that this is corny and forced.

So that's very helpful, say, in the context of EVA when you're dealing with all these rants and diatribes from Shinji and others. I found them annoying in Japanese, but then once I listen in English and pick out the details, I'm actually more hacked off about the themes the series is promoting and Shinji becomes unbearable enough that I want to shoot him through the balls. That's not Spike Spencer's acting, it's the writing...although I will admit he's more shrill and whiny than the seiyuu, but I didn't think it was a poor fit for the character in the least considering what he's going through.

Oh yeah! The reason I posted to begin with! I thought it was hilarious when Funimation picked up EVA 1.01 because I knew a lot of the original ADV voices would be replaced. (Not as many as actually DID get replaced, though! I didn't expect that many!) But seeing as Toji and Kensuke's VAs sorta fell off the face of the planet and they were minor characters, I figured they'd cast someone else, so I jokingly suggested they would make it easy on themselves and make Justin Cook the bully and Greg Ayres the nerd. Wow. They DID. Nothing screams "these characters are completely pointless" quite so well as being able to cast stereotypes. (Not that they aren't really great actors, but they are famous for those tropes.)
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree about Hanasakeru Seishonen.

The series gets much better as it gets further on. The story begins to revolve around political crises in a mythical Southeast Asian country called Raginei, and Kajika is connected to this country in a deep way (won't spoil it - but it's a good plot twist). Kajika's relationships with her three (actually four) suitors also evolve and develop as she matures throughout the story. You have to be patient, but this show is really worth it.

Sometimes seeing the first four episodes of a series and judging it from that is enough. Other times, that's not the case. Hanasakeru Seishonen is one of the ones that pulls you in slowly.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:

Kensuke's voice for me was weird. Everytime he spoke, I was kind of jolted, because it was so far from the original dub voice. But at the same time, I have to admit, I really liked his new voice.
But the Funi dub for the movie was hands down, way better than the one for the TV series. My only complaint was that Shinji kept referring to Gendou as 'Dad' which seemed too familiar, considering their relationship, but that's such a small complaint. Rei's new voice was close to the old one, Ritsuko's took a bit of getting used to, and Allison Keith, well, she was just awesome. I was slightly worried because she sounded somewhat bored on the Director's Cut episodes, but she was great in the new movie. Can't wait to hear Tiffany Grant again as Asuka.
JesuOtaku, I think you nailed one of the reasons why I can't usually watch dubs - a lot of the dialogue sounds really dorky when it's actually spoken in English. But I will readily admit that the main reason why I can stand listening to the Eva dub is that it was how I first watched the show eleven years ago, and I've developed a fondness for it. Having listened to the Funi dub made me realize that the ADV dub was not as good as I remembered. But then again, the Eva dub seemed to improve a lot by the middle of the series.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the original VA (Tristan MacAvery) that played Gendo. Every time he said "Correct." it was like a whiplash across the psyche. I thought his voice sounded much harsher than that of the current VA (John Swasey).

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I dislike the Swasey as Gendo, only that I really wish they'd been able to get MacAvery. But from what I understand, he has become Unavailable, so there's no use crying of spilt milk, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4