• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto to Run Uncut on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
As much as I'm not very fond of Naruto, it's a start. Hopefully in the future they get better deals....Believe it.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel about this, but if Toonami gets more long-running Shonens, and does not expand, the block will get stale fast.

InuYasha is going to take a year and a half to air, Naruto, at once a week, more than 4 years. Bleach has around two years left.

Also I wonder what the ratings will be like. This could end up being another NGE case. People request it a lot, it gets a good timeslot and reasonable promotion, it bombs hard because everyone had the DVD's and saw it so many times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
The block is called Adult Swim.

Nothing about this show is adult. Hence, I must call foul. Not to mention, I believe it will turn off way more viewers than it attracts.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Nothing about this show is adult. Hence, I must call foul. Not to mention, I believe it will turn off way more viewers than it attracts.

Yes, because blood, nudity, and profanity are just such kid friendly things.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
One Piece gets the shaft again. Apparently being the biggest shonen series since DBZ matters nothing after 4Kids ruined its rep. Funimation has been doing a great job with it, but all people think is "ya yo, ya yo."

Which is ironic, considering that in Japan, the One Piece manga sells 5x better than Naruto, according to this very site at the end of last year.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Bleach does pretty well on the block ratings-wise, right? (Seriously I have no idea)

If so, then I'm guessing that Naruto will probably do alright too, even if doesn't have the "hey guys new episodes!" thing going for it.

I only wished they aired the block a little earlier, (maybe after venture brothers?) that way it'd get a teeny bit more exposure. The early stuff always gets the best ratings :(

If this helps Toonami, more power to 'em, even if it seems like it'll be years before it'll get as good as that April Fools airing.

Last edited by Mizuki-Takashima on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

But they're not signs of adult content either. You wouldn't have anyone in Japan calling Naruto quality adult television.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Why would someone willingly subject themselves to Naruto at the crazy times Toonami is on?

Actually, why would someone willingly subject themselves to Naruto at all? When goddamn /a/ bans you from being discussed...
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Twisted Evil Now I have to stay up an extra half hour for Tenchi. Couldn't they put Naruto at 1AM?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

You realize Bleach, Inuyasha, and Fullmetal Alchemist are shonen? They're certainly not adult shows.
Mccool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

But they're not signs of adult content either. You wouldn't have anyone in Japan calling Naruto quality adult television.

This isn't Japan so your whole comment doesn't matter.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
Naruto when uncut is TV 14, so what does that say? Also really why does it even matter?

[as] before played Kekkaishi, a kids' show. They're also currently playing Sym Bionic Titan and Thundercats (2011), which are kids' shows as well. You don't need to take the "adult" part of the name so seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
I just want to throttle VIz right about now. Tiger and Bunny is THERE. JUST THERE! It is the next Bebop and all they need to do is get it on AS.

And yet, here we are, looking at four years of Naruto on Cable and Tiger and Bunny rotting away on a channel locked away in the third place console (as much as I love my PS3, priories, people).

This is all an elaborate stunt by WS isn't it? We;re going to get teabagged with Eureka Seven: Astrel Ocean next, arn't we?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

I watched it all a while back and I don't recall any nudity whatsoever in Naruto, nor anything on AS. Viz would not rate it TV-14 if it had nudity either. And yes, for the purposes of America, blood and profanity are "kid friendly", which is to say, something that is acceptable on youtube without being flagged.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
Now the Naruto dub-haters can stop bitching about how Naruto is censored in the US. Although, they could have just bought the DVDs to watch it uncut YEARS AGO!

Also, it's pathetic to whine about an anime show for being censored on TV is if it's not the same show anymore because anime or not EVERYTHING IS CENSORED!!

Last edited by TopGunman on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8