• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Stirs Controversy in China

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulghod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
Even American schools disallow death threats and it's no surprise that a Chinese school district does the same thing. I don't think any educator (or any human being for that matter) feels safe if their students wants them dead.

That's the basis of this whole issue. I don't think that these are death threats though. think it's just one of those stupid mortality games people play like all those things in some earlier post like Bloody Mary. They just don't like the people, and probably don't really want to kill them, or pull it off. it's just shouting in the dark.
of course, if there is an assault on a faculty member by a student from this, then of course ban the books. but that threat isn't really around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some Shenyang schools have banned the manga and related stationary, the newspaper called Death Note, "Poison, creating wicked hearts." Others however, including one major Chinese newspaper, feel that the ban is an over-reaction and is inappropriate. Some have suggested that overreactions such as these are what stifle creativity in China.

Yeah, you show that paper. How dare they allow that paper in the school. I say ban the paper, that'll get kids to stop. (writes death notes in organizer)
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
But I do see most people here are trying to defend Death note's ban just because they're manga/anime fans. Just like videogame fans trying to defend videogame violence.

I just want to point out that, though many gamers may be retarded idiots/idiot-fanboys who can't make coherant sentences on the internet, the majority of gamers are good people, as evidenced by the success of such charities as Child's Play (at Penny Arcade). It's just a few people with mental problems who shouldn't have been playing video games in the first place if they're that unstable that ruin the image for the rest of us. And let's face it: every group of people has a few idiots who really shouldn't be there. Writing these Death Notes is similar in nature to playing violent video games: it may by violent and morbid, but in the end, it's just all make-believe. (At least, it is until one person takes it too far, in which case they should not have been involved to begin with...)

I'm sure there is. I'm just saying that everytime the news of videogame violence comes up,, every magazine will defend to no end. The opinion express is very bias. I do agree that game violence don't cause everyone to go out and kill people, but it does bring upon aggression. And sometimes aggression can lead to violence if the person is not mentally responsible.

On the other hand, writing death note seem like a stupid idiotic idea. Even if it's done in a manga and that it looks cool, you think that these kids have better things to do. And just makes me fear that one day someone plays GTA and go out and run over a bunch of people because they're mentally unstable.

That's why we need some sort of test to see if the crazy people are mentally unstable, since the ESRB ratings aren't cutting it. If you walk into the store, there should be a machine that looks into your eyes to see how much they twitch. If they twitch too much, sorry, you're not allowed to buy that M-rated Uber Violent Killing Spree, but how about an alternative, like Piglet's Big Game? Wink

Still, writing death notes in imitation of the manga is a different circumstance then running people over in imitation of GTA, and if I had to choose which one to be worried about, I'd pick the GTA crowd. But then again, those games don't reach China, do they? So I guess they have to worry about something... Rolling Eyes
titanoman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Whether or not you agree with the method chosen to deal with this situation, you can probably agree that this is something that doesn't belong in school. If these kids really want to write these notes then they can easily do it outside of the classroom. I'm in the middle of my student teaching to be licensed by this summer, and I can tell you I wouldn't let my students sit and write these in my classroom. (Especially if it was my name they were writing down!) But that's because I am responsible for them while they are in the school. Once they are out of the school, I don't see this as being quite so big a deal. The truth is, it's very hard to tell what someone is capable of doing, so these kinds of things have to be taken very seriously by schools.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Djablesse wrote:
I think the school district placed the ban with good intentions. Kids writing " death notes," is pretty morbid, even if it is a successful manga. We might not all agree with the way they chose to handle the problem, but I choose to think that they truly had the children's best interests at heart.

I agree. While I'm of the opinion that the Death Notes are all in boredom and good fun, it's still a death note, and an expression of a desire for someone to die.

Sure, kids will always draw pictures of teachers or students or celebrities and draw them dying in a variety of situations, but it's understandable for a school district to frown on that.

I grew up in Colorado and was in high school around the time that the Columbine shootings took place. Shortly afterward, a few junior high kids from a school in my town got expelled for having a picture of a teacher being pushed down a flight of stairs, and a few stray guns around the border. Just a death note, right? But the city cracked down on it, the school district made death notes a suspendable offense.

Hell, school districts have banned Pokemon cards before. Banning death notes is certainly nothing uncommon. It's not so much a matter of intolerance on behalf of the Chinese government... it's just a school district wanting to make their students and teachers feel safe. (Heck, students have killed other students before... what makes them sure that a student wouldn't axe someone down after writing a death note describing it?)
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
The only thing I worry about this is the safety of those kids. Not from the notes, but what would happen in the Chinese government banned it, and they resisted?

I seriously don't think the Chinese government will crack down on grade school students over a comic books. Sure, the kids will complain but I'm more worried about their parents spanking them for causing trouble than the government raring its head over this issue. This is not Tiananmen Square we're talking about, there's nothing political (at least not that I can see unless you want to strain China/Japan relations). As the article said, some newspapers say Death Notes is bad while others say it's no big deal. Just like in the U.S. there are people who are against violence in video games and music and others who say they are over reacting; the samething goes for else where on the globe.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Death Notes are not supposed to be "cool." They're SUPPOSED to be "absolute power and corruption;" the main character is a "bad guy" for killing criminals.

In the Death Note pilot, a middle schooler gives up the Death Note and a police officer calls it evil. I don't think this is supposed to encourage middle schoolers to think of killing their teachers.

In short, the manga doesn't really have anything bad about it--it's mostly just philosophy that might be too deep for, say, a seventh grader. I think these kids, rather, are misinterpreting it--if a manga protagonist is using a Death Note to "cleanse the world of evil" he must be doing the right thing, right? I'm not calling them stupid, but I'll admit that I've agreed with some of Raitou's ideas at times, though I scold myself for doing so. Manufacturing Death Notes leaves a LOT of room for misinterpretation.

Don't compare the Death Note to cops and robbers or toy swords; it's completely different. The Death Note is psychological and philosophical, not physical. Personally, I think DN, despite the fact that it has no sex or violence, should have run in Young Jump because some kids would misinterpret it.

In short, hate to say it, but expect a death to come out of it. Don't underestimate kids; some have died over things as trivial as Pokemon.

...and if you encourage Viz to get this title, I will be forced to kill you. Tokyopop at the very worst, but better yet leave it unlicensed ^^.

::edit:: If this intrigues you at all, join the LJ Death Note community! But please contribute thought into it rather than just fanworks; some of the most interesting topics are about the morality/philosophy aspects and comparing it to literature (Dostoyevsky is a favorite).
vivinefertari

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
This response is kinda late I guess...
BUT how could they call Death Note poison?
The Death Note is like a weapon!That's what Near called it!
And to make replica Death Notes,isn't that like making toy swords,toy shurikens,and other toy weapons China is so famous for producing?
Maybe we should ban toy weapons in China too!After all,there's just a little chance that those toy weapons might breed homicidal maniacs in China,isn't there?
Huntsman

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
I would have to disagree with vivinefertari. Manga like Death Note and Berserk shouldn't be read by anyone under the age of 16. Yet when I go to book stores here in the USA I find these mangas accessible to anyone with out even a plastic rap around them to keep out anyone from looking at them. I've also seen ten year olds reading these mangas. I don't think one thing could change the kid in to a killer but along with playing games like Grand Theft Auto and watching to much violent tv can have a bad effect on kids. I know there can't be much done in the United States with all these freedom of expression advocates out there who would fight it or sue for millions of dollars. There are many things I would disagree with how the leaders of China run the country, but this isn't one of them. I am glad they are trying to protect their children at a young age. Now when their old enough I would have to say 17 or older than that's different. They won't be as easily influenced by what they see and read. I commend China for what they are trying to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3