• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Confirms New Anime to Launch on February 14

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
I've got to DVR FLCL, I've heard so much about that show, I've gotta check it out!
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
sakuramusicstar wrote:

Gintama isn't licensed let alone dubbed so there's no way of it actually being on Adult Swim now even though I wish it could be.

Well we'll have to stop wishing now that Gintama has been licensed by the sub only co Sentai Fimworks/Section 23.

After that,it's preety sure it's NOT gonna happen and it's a shame cause it fits into AS targeted demography along with Bleach since it's s shouen jump series. Best bet that it's probably FMA Brotherhood.

though i hope that it might be Rin cause they need another decent TVMA series now that blood plus & death note is no longer there but i have my doubts about that cause of the timeslot.

still not sure if gitama is a sub only release, I had either read an article, or heard a pod cast, might of been podcast, that section 23 films was working on 2 separate English dubs, with sentai films, but would not say what shows, but with a long series like gintama, it would be in their interest to add an English dub
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
still not sure if gitama is a sub only release, I had either read an article, or heard a pod cast, might of been podcast, that section 23 films was working on 2 separate English dubs, with sentai films, but would not say what shows, but with a long series like gintama, it would be in their interest to add an English dub

I'll agree with this. The only reason companies pick up these super-long titles is in hopes that they can one day get them on TV and the best way to make them accessible is by getting a dub on there. I can't think off the top of my head any series this long that was licensed and not given a TV broadcast. Naruto (twice), Bleach, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, One Piece, Dragonball/DBZ among a few others. It's a short list, but all found their way to TV at some point. Even the former ADV was never ambitious enough to snag a title this long, even for the years they were king of the hill. It's really hard to believe that Sentai wouldn't dub Gintama and have some sort of plan line to get it on TV.

i won't say that means it'll come to Adult Swim, it could be headed to Disney X D right behind Naruto for all we know, but if it doesn't get a dub and doesn't get on TV it'll be the first of its kind that I can remember.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
Brakus wrote:
Having more anime become mainstream IS A GOOD THING. I would love it to be Soul Eater, especially since it dovetails nicely with the Bleach blast from 12:30 to 2:30.
Since when did a mediocre third-rate shounen series about wacky demons eating souls become anything that could possibly be considered "mainstream" in this country?

Which show are you referring to, Soul Eater or Bleach?
Bleach is a mediocre top shelf shounen series, as opposed to Soul Eater's mediocre third-rate status. There is a difference.

Like the difference between The Jay Leno Show and Lopez Tonight.

Quote:

though i hope that it might be Rin cause they need another decent TVMA series now that blood plus & death note is no longer there but i have my doubts about that cause of the timeslot.

Huh? Only the finale of Death Note was rated TV-MA (the series was otherwise rated at varying levels of TV-14), and Blood+ was also mostly TV-14 with a few MA-rated episodes. Blood+ was also hardly what could be called "decent."
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm going FMA: Brotherhood, Inuyasha and Darker than Black

Isn't Gintama automatically disqualified for being sub-only?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm going FMA: Brotherhood, Inuyasha and Darker than Black

Isn't Gintama automatically disqualified for being sub-only?

They usually buy these series before they are dubbed. So while it wouldn't air sub only, the TV deal would pay for the show to be dubbed, or at least defray the cost quite substantially.
H8Gear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I doubt the validity of that....
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Somehow, I doubt the validity of that....
Laughing
Yeah it's an obvious fake.

But I do wish someone would pick it up Wink
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Don't hate on Shugo Chara just because it's bad.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks Funimation has Dragon Ball Kai in their back pocket, and that's the new show. I don't know how many episodes are released in Japan, but is it odd for US to air something shortly behind Japan? I think Kai is a shoe in for one of their three slots.

Shugo Chara being liscensed would be cool...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
If Funimation were smart, and they are, they wouldn't announce that they have Dragonball Kai until their DragonBox run has finished. Announcing they have Kai now would hurt the sales for the DragonBoxes.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
H8Gear wrote:

Hey, get a clue: The official english title of Shugo Chara is:

"My Guardian Characters" (See official banner on CR page: http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Shugo_Chara )

If you're gonna spoof something, do it right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11