• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Packaging Questions

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
the release date for Black Butler is coming up, meaning people will be soon seeing Funimation's new releases up close and personally.
I have this on preorder via RightStuf so I'll post pics whenever it arrives if no one else beats me to it. I'm really curious what the "extra" will be. Part of me hopes for a figure/plushie of some sort but that seems a bit exorbitant nowadays. I just hope it's not a bandana. I don't know what to do with those.

Well on Amazon.com there is a picture of what it should look like but the picture does not tell us much.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Butler-Season-Part-Limited/dp/B00477VLXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292633036&sr=1-1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
the release date for Black Butler is coming up, meaning people will be soon seeing Funimation's new releases up close and personally.
I have this on preorder via RightStuf so I'll post pics whenever it arrives if no one else beats me to it. I'm really curious what the "extra" will be. Part of me hopes for a figure/plushie of some sort but that seems a bit exorbitant nowadays. I just hope it's not a bandana. I don't know what to do with those.
Wear it? Anime hyper
Makes me regret not picking up the earlier releases of the Hetalia sets for the bandanas - I would've so wear them as like hairbands or something to work.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Zeguna wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the dvds in the CPM Black Jack box sets are just the singles or if they differ in packaging?

The CPM box sets are cardboard boxes containing the singles. The first has volumes 1-3 (6 episodes), the second has volumes 4-7 (4 episodes). Hope that helps.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Pantha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Black Butler pictures:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButler1.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButler2.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButler3.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButler5.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButler6.jpg

No premium item (I couldn't care less about that), but it's a real art box. In the olden days, such a box would hold a 13-episode series. But the discs are in thinpack cases so the box would hold the entire series. Pretty neat.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Pantha. Can you take a picture of the spine, too? I don't know what it is, but I have this thing about knowing what the spine looks like. Also, wasn't there a really nice spacer box?

I am curious now, though, about one cour shows since they'll be REALLY thin if they use thinpacks for those. It'd probably be better for them to use keepcases for those so that the sizes are consistent. I'm also wondering how they'll handle spacer boxes (that are bound to also be used to hold items) for shows that are one cour, since I hate looseness in my boxes *cough*Witchblade*cough*, and removing spacers are a must since I like displaying them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pantha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Thanks, Pantha. Can you take a picture of the spine, too? I don't know what it is, but I have this thing about knowing what the spine looks like. Also, wasn't there a really nice spacer box

Yeah, the spacer box is nice. In fact, I thought it was the premium item at first (I thought something was inside). As requested,

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButlerspine-1.jpg -spine. You can't tell from the pic, but the words next to Black Butler says Season One

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButlerspaceholder2.jpg - spacer box. Oops, I think this was upside down.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButlerspaceholder.jpg - spacer box. Hmm, I should've taken this with the box horizontal, instead of vertical.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/Pantha2182/BlackButler8.jpg - spacer box inside box

The King of Harts wrote:
I am curious now, though, about one cour shows since they'll be REALLY thin if they use thinpacks for those. It'd probably be better for them to use keepcases for those so that the sizes are consistent.

Yeah, you're right. This is the only premium set I'm buying from Funimation, but my brother is getting Ga Rei Zero. Maybe they did use regular size keepcases for that one. If they do use thinpak cases, then it's going to look like those 2-part sets they've been using (Ouran High School Host Club, Romeo x Juliet, et al) but with chipboard. I don't like the idea of that.

Pantha wrote:
In the olden days, such a box would hold a 13-episode series.

The Black Butler box is big enough to hold two regular sized keepcases.
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
My packaging question has to do with the Kara no Kyoukai set so I don't know if it is answerable, just hoping maybe someone has read or heard something I haven't. So I've seen the pics on here and TRSI and Bandai and I know what it comes with, but I'm wondering about the actual box. It looks like a large black vinyl or cardboard box with embossed gold outline around the artwork on the front and the title above, with maybe a ribbon that ties it closed? I've tried to zoom in and everything else but I just can't tell what its like. It also looks like it is thick enough to have a piece connected to the cover and back piece that the BDs and book lay in once you open it, kind of like a rectangular box with one long side missing, or if you are looking down on the opened case, like 4 walls that surround the bds and book and when closed meet with either the cover or a matching set of sides (if that makes any sense, it's hard to put into words what I'm visualizing.) Hopefully that piece they lay in will be cloth or covered cardboard and not plastic. What I hope it is NOT like is one of the old Disney VHS tapes (if anyone remembers what they were like) where they had the cover and back pieces that extended out a bit, and then it was like a (white in the Disney cases) clam-shell plastic piece that the actual tape fit it. So has anyone heard or seen a more detailed picture other than what is over at TRSI, or is the info just unavailable at this time? I'm ordering it anyway so I guess it's not a huge deal, but with something like this (my largest single collection acquisition ever) I'm really looking forward to and am trying to find out everything about it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
My packaging question has to do with the Kara no Kyoukai set so I don't know if it is answerable, just hoping maybe someone has read or heard something I haven't. So I've seen the pics on here and TRSI and Bandai and I know what it comes with, but I'm wondering about the actual box. It looks like a large black vinyl or cardboard box with embossed gold outline around the artwork on the front and the title above, with maybe a ribbon that ties it closed? I've tried to zoom in and everything else but I just can't tell what its like. It also looks like it is thick enough to have a piece connected to the cover and back piece that the BDs and book lay in once you open it, kind of like a rectangular box with one long side missing, or if you are looking down on the opened case, like 4 walls that surround the bds and book and when closed meet with either the cover or a matching set of sides (if that makes any sense, it's hard to put into words what I'm visualizing.) Hopefully that piece they lay in will be cloth or covered cardboard and not plastic. What I hope it is NOT like is one of the old Disney VHS tapes (if anyone remembers what they were like) where they had the cover and back pieces that extended out a bit, and then it was like a (white in the Disney cases) clam-shell plastic piece that the actual tape fit it. So has anyone heard or seen a more detailed picture other than what is over at TRSI, or is the info just unavailable at this time? I'm ordering it anyway so I guess it's not a huge deal, but with something like this (my largest single collection acquisition ever) I'm really looking forward to and am trying to find out everything about it.

Keep an eye on AoD. Chris Beveridge might get an early look at the finalized packaging.

Aniplex also puts finalized pictures on their Facebook page. They posted pictures of DRRR!! last night.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Keep an eye on AoD. Chris Beveridge might get an early look at the finalized packaging.

Aniplex also puts finalized pictures on their Facebook page. They posted pictures of DRRR!! last night.
I gotta admit, I currently have no interest in DRRR!! (it's on my to-watch list, though), but I like how they're packaging it. It makes it look like the DVD is part of the case, instead of being an paper sleeve with DVD cases inside or whatnot.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see DRRR!! (I do plan to watch it soon) but I do like that packaging.

EDIT: Not thinking when I wrote that.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. This is the only premium set I'm buying from Funimation, but my brother is getting Ga Rei Zero. Maybe they did use regular size keepcases for that one.

I have the Sacred Blacksmith LE on preorder, and they should be shipping out any day now, so I'll (or someone else) report in with the size.

I do have one more question. Can you comfortably fit a Funimation thinpack in there -along with the two thin cases that come with LE box- with the outer leave still on? I'm curious because if you can't, what are you supposed to with the sleeve you get when part 2 arrives?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I gotta admit, I currently have no interest in DRRR!! (it's on my to-watch list, though), but I like how they're packaging it. It makes it look like the DVD is part of the case, instead of being an paper sleeve with DVD cases inside or whatnot.

I as well am a fan of what Aniplex is doing with DRRR!! The packaging is very Japanese inspired. I think we can all appreciate when a company does that.

FUNi also seems to be taking a Japanese oriented approach to their limited edition releases with R2 inspired artwork and "first pressings". I look forward to my preorders and the return of chipboard. I'll admit that stockboard packaging has made me pass on a lot of the titles FUNi released over the last few years.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
[Re: Black Butler season 1 part 1 L.E. box]:
No premium item (I couldn't care less about that), but it's a real art box.
Yeah, I got mine on the 4th also and I glanced at it and noticed that there was no tangible extra-- maybe it's supposed to be the stuff on the discs themselves? I haven't popped mine in to look around on them yet (see below) but I saw that it includes some commentary. That would be a nice extra, assuming it's from the Japanese side of things (staff or seiyuu) and not just the dub cast commentary--which I'm sure to some would be considered a nice extra but not for me. Either way, the box looks absolutely lovely and I look forward to seeing it on my shelf in a few weeks.

I say "in a few weeks" because I have to send mine back to exchange it and therefore have to wait for RightStuf to get more of the L.E. in stock. You know those small, clear globs of adhesive they use to hold the glossy sheets (containing the plot description, etc.) onto the back of the artboxes? The ones you're supposed to be able to remove cleanly, to reveal the rest of that gorgeous box art? Well, the adhesive on mine was so stuck tight that it ripped the paper off the artbox rather than let go. Anime cry So an exchange* it is, and I really hope my copy was the exception rather than the norm and I can remove it without incident next time. I wonder if anyone else ran into this problem?

*P.S. I'd also like to say, this was my first time exchanging/returning something to RightStuf and their customer service was as excellent as I expected it to be.

Last edited by poonk on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
can anyone provide pictures of the "Dual! Parallel trouble Adventure" boxset (rel. date - september 30, 2003) especially the artbox? Is it bailey box or the sturdy high-quality one? thanks....sorry i asked it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 28