• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Liam King

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The whole Reborn thing. Yes for some reason it's insanely popular over here in Japan. It's one of those changed while it was a manga things. At the start when it was first released it was intended as a generic shounen slapstick manga, however in order to maintain or increase popularity over time it gradually morphed into a shounen action manga(and became half way decent because of it). It's a lot like Negima going from a harem comedy to a shounen action style.

Gateway Drugs- Yes when you get down to it there haven't been that many brilliant gateway animes in recent times and I'd pretty much always go with the Cowboy Bepop, Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note options.

However if I had to introduce someone to anime using recent anime, there's Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Hellsing Ultimate, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, even Dennou Coil depending on the person. Although actually Eden of the East stands out as a recent anime with a good, not too otaku centric original story. The one drawback to that is that the second film needs to come out first and the whole thing needs to be dubbed.
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
A couple thoughts I'm having here...

Reduction in fansub downloaders - While I do think things like crunchyroll and the US companies streaming video have stopped a lot of people from downloading anime, do you think it may also have to do with the quality of anime being produced? I think a lot of people just don't want to watch everything that's coming out now. I know when I looked at the most recent season, nothing stuck out to me as something that I should check out right now. Sure every show will always have its fans but not everything has mass appeal.

Gateway anime - I really can't think of anything from the last 2 years or so to reccommend to a new fan. I really like Baccano but I wouldn't give it to someone who is not familiar with anime. I don't think there is anything wrong though in reccomending older titles to new fans. Sure some are harder to find then others, but why not focus on what's the best overall rather than what's new? I still loan out Cowboy Bebop to everyone I know just because I think it's a great series and you don't have to be an anime fan to watch it.

Like everyone else though, I too am still waiting for that next "big thing" that will explode like so many series did the first half of the decade.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm 34 and watch anime. I'm a dying breed when comes to watching anime.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is why I prefer manga over anime.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow Liam could have been an English teacher? That's awesome! He and I could have been in the same line of work! Very Happy

It was nice to hear this podcast, I really liked it guys Smile
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This show was a lot of fun. First: don't replace the theme song! Every time I hear it I envision you guys on some tropical island.

The range question was ironic because if I had to pick voice actors who show range in their work it would be Liam O'Brien (and Steven Jay Blum, of course). Liam sounds totally different in all his roles--from the polished effeminate but also insane Cavalcanti to husky altruistic Tenma to Lloyd. Oh, Lloyd. I partly got my sister to watch all of Code Geass for the Lloyd segments because she loved his ridiculousness.

Speaking of Code Geass, gateway drug anime from the last five years...you guys are right, it's hard to find blockbusters that appeal to everyone, but Geass might be one of them. NANA or ParaKiss are good for the ladies, while Monster is the first show I've been able to get my father to watch. There's also Eureka 7, which seems pretty accessible to people open to fantasy. And it remains to be seen how Soul Eater does if that is indeed the new AS show.

Anyway, kudos to Liam, he was a really funny, down-to-earth guest.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I love it when a voice actor is also a fan. I'm not going to hold it against the ones who aren't, but it's always nice to hear that they enjoying being in it and watching it. It's like when pro football players talk about how much they love playing Madden.

I like the industry guests you guys have and everything, but I like the VA interviews better and it'd be cool if you guys had a few more in the upcoming shows.

Gateway Anime: I'm weird in that the two shows that got me hooked on anime weren't what one would call a gateway show. Instead, they were Sorcerer Hunters and Shuffle, the type shows everyone says don't make good introduction shows. I then immediately jumped right into more "otaku" shows like Kanon, Haruhi, Azumanga, Ef, and two Makoto Shinkai films in Voices and Place Promised. I didn't know any better because I didn't have anyone to hold my hand along the way, but here I am, 2 years later, 238 shows later, and still deep in the fandom. I said all that to say that it's a little unfair to label a show a non-gateway show because any show can get anyone hooked, it's depends on the show and the person.

EDIT: What was the...um...segway(?) from? I feel like I've heard it before, but I can't place it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

EDIT: What was the...um...segway(?) from? I feel like I've heard it before, but I can't place it.

In terms of the segue, I believe the breakdown says: "21:04 Break time! Enjoy some wonderful voice acting and brilliant dialogue from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence!"
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

In terms of the segue, I believe the breakdown says: "21:04 Break time! Enjoy some wonderful voice acting and brilliant dialogue from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence!"

I suppose I should start reading the breakdown then. Silly me Embarassed And thanks for showing how to spell segue correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
chrisb wrote:

As for awesome gateway anime, I'd go with Utena.

While I agree that Utena is a good show, how exactly do you get a copy for your friends? The only way to find this show is painstakingly searching through used bins, or paying online for what might end up being a bootleg. It is hard to find, even fansubs. So how does this make it a good "gateway" show?
It seems very impractical to suggest a hard-to-find show like Utena, but I see anime fans suggesting this all the time to people who are just getting into, or curious about anime. Why? All it does ultimately is discourage those people when they can't find the show...

Amazon Marketplace is your friend when it comes to Utena Wink, I did have to pay freaking 60 bucks for the final DVD though... it's actually quite easy to find from my experience , you just have to tell your friends that google shopping search or Amazon is a good way to find the show. Most of the time my friends just bum anime DVDs off me if they're interested in it anyway. And there are no bootlegs on Amazon, only certain sites like "fox-anime" which steal your money anyway and you never get the product.

Fansubs are also quite easy to find too, but the series remastered is available for about 200-300 dollars... which I need to save up for.

A good show to turn people off from anime? Arjuna, seriously I love the show but people I've shown it to downright hate it.

Last edited by chrisb on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The best anime to introduce newbies in the last 5 years is hands down Black Lagoon, for basically all the same reasons as Cowboy Bebop. There's nothing particularly Japanese about it for most of the episodes (although the last arc is entirely Yakuza centered). It's an completely action packed nihilistic shoot-'em-up. For a series centered around gratuitous violence, it's actually pretty intelligent going so far as to wax on about Sartre philosophy, ethics, and the banality of evil.

I introduced many non-anime fans to this show with great success. All the references to Hollywood blockbusters help place the characters in an easier to relate to position. Anyone who loves John Woo movies with crazy bar shootouts or who likes depressing pessimist poetry like Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club will like this show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Space Butler XIII wrote:
So...

Are we ever going to find out who won the New Theme Song contest that was announced two weeks ago? Personally, I just want to know if either of my entries won. (one of the entries is the song "Angry Scientist" by my band Bleet, the other is a solo piece credited to Jamie Robinson, a.k.a. just me and my bass guitars; neither song is copyrighted, so they're both fair game for this usage)

I got more emails from people telling me to not change the theme song than I did actual entries.

I'm still kinda torn on what to do. I did get your entries though, so thanks for that. Notably all of the entries I did get were from folks like you with songs their bands have performed before; no original work was submitted. Which is fine, but I'm not really interested in turning the theme song into an advertisement for someone's band rather than an actual theme song for our show.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:

Amazon Marketplace is your friend when it comes to Utena Wink, I did have to pay freaking 60 bucks for the final DVD though... it's actually quite easy to find from my experience , you just have to tell your friends that google shopping search or Amazon is a good way to find the show. Most of the time my friends just bum anime DVDs off me if they're interested in it anyway. And there are no bootlegs on Amazon, only certain sites like "fox-anime" which steal your money anyway and you never get the product.

Fansubs are also quite easy to find too, but the series remastered is available for about 200-300 dollars... which I need to save up for.

A good show to turn people off from anime? Arjuna, seriously I love the show but people I've shown it to downright hate it.

Nice to hear that Amazon keeps an eye out for bootlegs with its resellers.

-Still, I usually "gift" anime series to my friends to introduce them to the media, and a $25.00 to $30.00 complete boxset in a thinpak is affordable to buy and ship. Plus the fact that I want to trick my friends into thinking that collecting this stuff is actually affordable. Laughing Utena is way too expensive, notably due to your mention of the $60 final volume. For myself, paying a price like that is o.k. (I lost nearly all of my anime collection two years ago when a neighboring apartment caught fire and spread into mine. So I know first hand how expensive and frustrating it is finding all of those out-of-print titles to replace what was lost.) Fansubs are just not an option to suggest to my group of newbies, so I can't go that route.

Baccano!! and Mushi-Shi are my two favorites right now. Since most of my newbies are book readers, they are used to hanging with the story until it picks up. Many books take 50 to 100 pages to get to the meat of the story, and a lot of them are written in a non-linear way, so Baccano!! is not a problem for my crowd. In fact, that kind of story telling is a selling point.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think it's possible that Soul Eater may be that next "addiction" entry-level anime, if it airs on Adult Swim, and if Funimation drives it hard enough.

Liam O'Brien is a pretty decent voice actor. Like him as Tenma in Monster. It was nice to hear from a VA with a family of their own, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The theme song always reminds me of Hawaii for some reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6