• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Commentaries on Handley's Sentencing for Obscene Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
do any of you more legal minded people know how this half cocked law will effect manga like berserk or even code geass (kallens underage boobs) chris handley was arrested for owning "obscene"manga and thats got me worried that every new manga or currently running on will be sanitized for "our protection"
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
do any of you more legal minded people know how this half cocked law will effect manga like berserk or even code geass (kallens underage boobs) chris handley was arrested for owning "obscene"manga and thats got me worried that every new manga or currently running on will be sanitized for "our protection"

Read the thread. This issue has been addressed.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Sophisticat wrote:

Thought begets action. We control mentality to restrain certain actions as much as possible. Thinking what you want is perfectly legal, but no one wants you to think you can put certain things to action without consequences.

Thought does beget action. Thoughtlessness can also beget action. At least you admit that thought and action are different things.

As far as "controlling mentality" goes: who is this "we" you are talking about? Do you mean society as a whole? I certainly don't include myself in your "we": *I* think people *should* explore and expand their mentality. I encourage people to think outside (and inside) of conventional lines of thought. In fact, let's call this what it is: imagination. I definitely want people to use their imagination.

But, just because you imagine something, it doesn't mean you become unaware of reality: any rational mind knows that actions have consequences. Even if someone does something as distasteful as masturbating while fantasizing having sex with actual young children, it doesn't mean that they are not unaware that there would consequences if they did that in real life.

Finally, I notice you are putting emphasis on the word "illegal". If breathing was made illegal, then everyone living would be a criminal. You can make whatever laws you want, but such laws do not necessarily have any moral or ethical value in them. There isn't any intrinsic ethical value in a law that says that the left lane of a highway should only be used to pass other cars, yet if you stay in the left lane, you're breaking the law: you're committing an illegal act.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Sophisticat wrote:

Thought begets action. We control mentality to restrain certain actions as much as possible. Thinking what you want is perfectly legal, but no one wants you to think you can put certain things to action without consequences.

Finally, I notice you are putting emphasis on the word "illegal". If breathing was made illegal, then everyone living would be a criminal. You can make whatever laws you want, but such laws do not necessarily have any moral or ethical value in them. There isn't any intrinsic ethical value in a law that says that the left lane of a highway should only be used to pass other cars, yet if you stay in the left lane, you're breaking the law: you're committing an illegal act.

Huh... I'm not sure exactly your point regarding the driving example. There may be no intrinsic ethical value specifically regarding the left lane, but there is a practical value in having laws regarding traffic. And I certainly believe that driving recklessly, putting others in danger, is not a particularly moral thing to do. It's a rather different situation then what we are talking about.

But I agree with you that laws don't always have any intrinsic ethical value. Quite the opposite in the case of some laws.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist,

I was just trying to provide an example of how whether or not something is illegal has no real bearing on whether or not something is moral or ethical.

If there was a law that said that possessing hentai of any sort was illegal, that has no real bearing on the *morality* of possessing (or enjoying) hentai.

In other words, I think it is a mistake to label something as "bad" because it is illegal. Breaking the law is *not* intrinsically bad, and in some cases is very good indeed. The Crown of England, for instance, thought the British colonists in America were being bad because they revolted and wrote up this silly document saying they didn't have to obey anymore, and were in fact no longer part of the Empire. The colonists broke a lot of British laws and were considered criminals. But, of course, from our point of view they were heroes: what they did was "good".

So, if people are going to say that what Handley did was wrong, then IMO just saying "he broke the law" isn't going to cut it. He was wrong only in the legal sense of the word. Show me how he was wrong in a moral sense.

That is what I was trying to get across.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
hitokiriizo wrote:

Read the thread. This issue has been addressed.

oh thanks Embarassed i was actually about to write answerman about it but i doubt he'd respond
mjc5436

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
this is getting out of hand. its like i have to becareful what i order over the internet. i too have a collection of manga some of which might fall under the category that put Chris in prison for, i would name some but for my protection i plead the 5th. other than manga i also have a mass a library of dvd's including hentai titles. i hope that dvd's wont be the next target.
Flagbearer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Where is the ACLU? I thought they'd be all over a case like this. It seems like a civil liberty's issue to me.
tyciol

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I think it`s great how the various commentaries by these important people more informed about the issues are collected here is very useful.

When we look at vaguaries like -appear as minor- clearly we can see how far that extends, even to Sailor Moon yuris.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9