• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists BDs for Guyver, Rin, Black Cat, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Completely agree.
However the likes of Eden of the East and Casshern Sins will surely be native HD.
As for the later comment, it REALLY annoys me. How can they claim stuff is "uncut and unedited" when they remove the original OP/ED and title cards?
Fair enough if they do them for potential TV broadcasts, but with the DVD/Blu-rays, we aren't ALL interested in the dub and don't need things edited to be spoon fed.

So, really, what do you mean? They don't have the OP/ED? They change the songs to English? What do you mean by "title card"? You mean when they show the title of the episode?
theshillito

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

I think he means keeping the credits themselves in kanji, or at least provide an alternate angle to view them if you do translate them.

With my Negima (original series) DVDs, they have two angles for the OP and ED credits. One as would have been seen in the original Japanese releases, and one with translated credits and the English logo. If they're gonna mess with the credits, this is how they should have them. It's not like it takes significantly more work to do this, it's just being lazy.

EDIT: Thinking about it, seeing as I can't read Japanese, it doesn't really matter that much. I don't see what the point is. That being said...

SUPER-SPEED-IMAGE-CAPTURE-GO!!!!

Title card comparison:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8571/japanesetitlecard.png
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/3258/englishtitlecard.png

Credits comparison (slightly NSFW, but only swimsuits):
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7293/japanesecredits.png
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7462/englishcredits.png

Just to clarify what I think the guy meant about them. I can't say it bothers me that much, but ah well.

(on a side note, the spoiler functionality on this forum sucks. It's text only spoiler hiding, not image hiding. But that's an argument for another time)

Last edited by theshillito on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I am very excited for those Casshern Sins Blu-rays. The style of the show will look fantastic in such great quality. I didn't like Eden of the East as much as a lot of others seemed to, but the show was still good enough that I will probably look into the release.

Any news yet on whether Funimation will be able to release Eden with the original opening from Oasis?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
You've got to be kidding me. People are complaining because they don't leave the credits in Japanese? Let me ask you something then: can you READ them? If no, why do you care? If yes, then you understand Japanese, so why are you buying it? This is one of the lamest things to complain about. They should just use the clean OP/ED anyway. I'd much rather see the image.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You've got to be kidding me. People are complaining because they don't leave the credits in Japanese? Let me ask you something then: can you READ them? If no, why do you care? If yes, then you understand Japanese, so why are you buying it? This is one of the lamest things to complain about. They should just use the clean OP/ED anyway. I'd much rather see the image.

Some people get pretty vocal over that type of stuff. They rather have something RightStuf does which is kanji credits first and then some generic English scrolling credits after it.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
As someone who watches anime translated, using r1 releases...

The kanji missing is an idiotic thing to bitch about.

I mean, it's not like having credits in English allows the CRAZYYYY ability for people to get the credit for their work or something....

oh wait...

...maybe people think they are learning kanji from it?
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
There is alot more listed in the little pamphlet then what is listed here.

Assuming everything in it is a Blu-ray release which i think it is since it says it's the Blu-Ray edition of the anime source.

xxxHolic is listed but with no date which excites me a bit.
Mushishi complete series(so it's not the movie) which will probably look incredible on Blu-ray.
The xxxHolic and Tsubasa movies.

All pretty good stuff.

Last edited by Reibooi on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You've got to be kidding me. People are complaining because they don't leave the credits in Japanese? Let me ask you something then: can you READ them? If no, why do you care?

They care because they want to see it how it was originally shown on TV.

Quote:
If yes, then you understand Japanese, so why are you buying it?

Shouldn't the people who can read it care the most? Are you suggesting they buy the Japanese release that costs several times more money?
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably pick up Eden of the East, Evangelion 1.11, and FMP! whenever they're out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Looking forward to Eden and Casshern in Blu-ray! I probably might double dip for some of the other shows, even if they are upscaled. I don't mind the upscaling. Since my eyesight isn't perfect, I cant count pixels. Razz
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
out of curiosity, is there someplace you can go that will list if a bluray is an upscale or hd native? does funi's site list it anywhere?

personally, i wouldn't bother paying the extra for a bluray of an upscaled show, but i would be tempted to double dip if it comes from an hd master.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

They care because they want to see it how it was originally shown on TV.

Shouldn't the people who can read it care the most? Are you suggesting they buy the Japanese release that costs several times more money?

1st: Why? They are NOT watching it on TV, they are watching it on DVD/Bluray. Also, on the same topic, they are NOT watching it in Japan, so maybe they should stop pretending that they are.

2nd: Why are you reading the credits? Actually...I don't care, if you guys want to read the credits, that is your problem. But, what's the difference if you read it English or Japanese? And yes, that IS what I'm suggesting, if they want the Japanese credits so bad, for whatever stupid reason.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't aware FUNi got the rights to the first season of FMP. Neat stuff.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how people whine about FUNi removing kanji as if they're the only company who does that. Rolling Eyes
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I would bet that the folks doing the asinine complaining about the credits are using it as a justification to continue stealing fansubs and never buying anime Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6