• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Incarnate's Simmons Addresses Alleged Bleach Copying

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

you guys don't seem to understand just how common this is. there are many comic artists that have created very lucrative careers from doing this (Rob Liefeld, Greg Land, Bob Kane...). Mangas are even more notorious. it's no secret that the industry was built off of tracing Tezuka and Otomo's works.

That it's happens doesn't mean it's accepted. For instance, Yuki Suetsugu had several of her series cancelled and had to leave the industry after plagiarism was discovered in several of her works.
ac195

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
God, I really wish we had a statement from Kubo...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Wow...if he expected that to get the controversy to die down, he really doesn't understand internet fandom.

GWOtaku wrote:
This admission is rather hilarious in light of his fanatical defense on facebook. Crazy stuff.

That was clearly not the real Nick Simmons on Facebook.

Would the real Nick Simmons please stand up? Please stand up? Please stand up?

*Sorry, that was the first thing that went through my head. Anime smile + sweatdrop
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
I saw some of the initial stuff for Skullduggery, and I must say, it makes the Bleach plagiarism even worse. The kid's got drawing skill. He knows how to draw. (I don't know if he knows how to tell a story though.) Why, then, is he squandering his potential by leeching off of some other established person? He has the ability to make something new and original. Has he no faith in his own talents?

If he had kept Incarnate with this art style, which I assume IS his own, he wouldn't have gotten into this sort of legal trouble. Instead, he went out of his way to copy one of the presently most well-known manga.

Granted, Skullduggery seems to have characters who resemble Chad and Shinji, so I guess he planned to copy off of Bleach from the get-go.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
The wording is rather suspect. He doesn't really admit to anything, and doesn't apologize for what he did, but for how others felt. Instead of "I'm sorry I plagiarized," he's saying "I'm sorry you think I plagiarized." He's apologizing without really apologizing.

i.e. What your told to say by a lawyer to not incriminate yourself any further than it already is and look even more stupider and conceited in the process. Guarantee 100% that at least a Lawyer or some PR person crafted up that statement/edited the original apology from Nick.

He should've at least shut his pie hole for a little while longer and allow Radical to deal with the matter. Him making these comments is akin to throwing gasoline on an already raging fire.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
v1cious wrote:

you guys don't seem to understand just how common this is. there are many comic artists that have created very lucrative careers from doing this (Rob Liefeld, Greg Land, Bob Kane...). Mangas are even more notorious. it's no secret that the industry was built off of tracing Tezuka and Otomo's works.

That it's happens doesn't mean it's accepted. For instance, Yuki Suetsugu had several of her series cancelled and had to leave the industry after plagiarism was discovered in several of her works.

Actually she came back in 2007, and won an award in 2009, so she was gone for2 years, but both of the stories she was working on at the time where cancelled.
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I think part of it may be that folks actively want to believe that he's that big of a tool.

well, based on this statement he really is a tool. Seriously, this:

"My inspirations reflect the fact that certain fundamental imagery is common to all Manga. This is the nature of the medium."

is pure and undiluted bullshit. Kubo's characters qualify as "fundamental imagery" and are present in every manga? What the hell? (Even the characters themselves looked fundamentally different some seven-eight years ago when Kubo had a different art style.)

v1cious wrote:

Just because it's common doesn't mean it should be accepted. Besides, copying poses and stuff is not the same thing as copying another mangaka's art style along with his characters. It may happen all the time in comics, but Marvel/DC tends to strive for a homogenized look (as far as I know/noticed, anyway) so it's less striking. Back in the old days manga had a similarly homogenized look (precisely because everyone was trying to draw like Tezuka) so it wasn't noticeable. But manga art styles have been a lot more diverse for a long time now (even within a single magazine, look at various Shounen Jump manga), so an artist stealing another's art style and character designs is very obvious and jarring.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Granted, Skullduggery seems to have characters who resemble Chad and Shinji, so I guess he planned to copy off of Bleach from the get-go.
I guess he kinda does look like Chad. Though to me he looked a bit more like Nick's dad Gene. Which is interesting because Nick's lookalike shoots him in the head.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Gene $immons is just gonna buy Kubo's soul and then order a hit on WSJ HQ if they say anything more about this...seriously it's best for them to not acknowledge this. KISS'd go all Amurikuuuuh "F&^# Yeah!" on 'em. And Viz? Hidemi Fukuhara'd better go on vacation for a couple months, them Israeli's don't mess around.......LoL I can't do it this is cheese, I keed I keed.

...But seriously, $immons could buy Kubo's soul..
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Someone has pointed out that it appears as if Incarnate is using an image from the Skinwalkers movie poster (Lions Gate).

http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html?thread=11352155#t11352155

Their comparison pic. http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4389/incarnateskinwalkers.jpg

I can't verify that this was actually in the comic but someone who 'said' they have says it is in there.

This may just be his acquiring rights to the image but with all of this, it's got to be looked into closely.
nynextew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I looked through most of the pages, don't know if this was posted but: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/02/gene_simmons_kid_nick_is_a_comic_creator_a_doucheb.php
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Someone has pointed out that it appears as if Incarnate is using an image from the Skinwalkers movie poster (Lions Gate).

http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html?thread=11352155#t11352155

Their comparison pic. http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4389/incarnateskinwalkers.jpg

I can't verify that this was actually in the comic but someone who 'said' they have says it is in there.

This may just be his acquiring rights to the image but with all of this, it's got to be looked into closely.

If that was used for real, then wow. They went all the way on copying stuff. I can't read most of the text on that image, but it seems awful angsty.

Why so angsty, Nick Simmons?
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
But you know something, this might just make these books collectors items. If Incarnate ceases publication, a "celebrity" creator, nice (if traced) art, this stuff might make them a pot of gold in the secondary market (This will happen too with the Tea Party issue of Captain America as reprintings and collections will change the lettering of the "offending" sign. I used to work in a comic book store so I think that could happen).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Elexin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:

Euch, the Skinwalkers thing is here too?
The Skinwalkers page wasn't in the actual Incarnate comic.
It was just being used as a credit page; it had been added to the file containing scans of the comic by the people who scanned and uploaded it to identify themselves (The Unresurrected).
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess nobody's going to take Nick seriously as a comic artist anymore. I wouldn't. Nor would I think any comic publishing company in this day and age of lawsuits would trust him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6