• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does ANN have any plans for an interview with Chris Handley?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The Chris Handley case is still a big thing in our circles, and while its pretty clear that unfortunately, he'll be going to prison for next to nothing, I want to know if ANN have any plans to visit or interview Chris at all.

I think this would be great for ANN and the anime/manga community too. As far as I'm aware, there have been no interviews with him, giving his side of the story, how he got into manga and anime, and more importantly what this crap means for comics in general, depending on what he can talk about.

It would be nice get his view, and perhaps give him some support. He might need it, as I'm sure prison is no picnic.

What does the ANN crew think about this idea?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
You know, that's a good idea. Though the fact that Handley made a plea bargain could possibly preclude him from giving interviews. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know.

But anyway, if it is possible I would love ANN to interview him.
JrdBnta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
What questions would they ask the guy that would make for a good interview? The only ones that immediately come to mind are all about the lengthy trial, and he might not be allowed to, or want to, talk about due to the plea bargain.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
Glad you like the idea, ANN crew. It's clear the larger news organisations have no interest in this case, or getting his take on things.

Things in the anime/manga industry, are pretty dead at the moment with next to little news and all, so I think an interview with Chris would prove interesting. Let's face it, Chris is tantamount to the creative industries Hurricane. Strange, but kinda true, especially if even Neil Gaiman comes to bat for him in articles and such.

There's plenty of stuff that we could ask him:

How did he get into anime and manga?

How's he adjusting to life in prison?

Has what's happened to him, also inspired him in anyway? Its well known that with a lot of down time in prison, some people resort to writing etc.

What kind of material does he like, artists, writers, etc? Most of this was never let out. I guess once he's sent down officially in January (the Gears of Law grind ever slowly), he might be able to talk more freely.

Perhaps ANN should throw the net out, to get some questions and support for him, to let him know, we think what's going on is garbage and he's still in our minds. A simple thing like mail can do wonders for prisoners. Sure, I guess you'd have to check with any legal stuff before hand, or contact CBDL or his lawyer, but it would be worth it for everyone. Who knows, maybe take Neil Gaiman with you.

Does anyone else have any questions for him?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm, as far as I know, the list of titles that landed him in hot water have never been released. I would ask him not what those titles were, but if he would be ashamed if they were divulged to the public.

I mean, is he ashamed of the sort of Manga and whatnot he was reading, or is he unrepentant? That's what I would like to know. Not because I want to judge him, but because I want to understand him.

If it were me I would have fought it. At least, that's what I'd like to believe. I would have demanded to be put in front of a jury and have my lawyer ask them if I deserve to be jailed - unconstitutionally, I might add - for a "crime" which had no victim.

But Handley made a plea bargain, meaning the titles didn't have to be made public. Meaning he thought he was going to lose if it went to court (and America being America, I could see why). But I do want to know what went on in his head when he made that decision, and if he regrets getting into the Lolicon fandom.

Lolicon may be a disagreeable fandom to me, but the guy shouldn't be going to prison. Especially by his own act.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
Indeed, loli/shotacon I also disagree with, but each to their own, and any fan will run their own gauntlet, to get their fix of whatever.

I would like to know more about him, and yes hope to understand him too.

Guess we need to learn from his mistakes, so this crazy stuff doesn't happen again.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Handley's plea arrangement does not explicitly bar him from talking about it (I have a copy), however....

Material related to the case was published on a fairly well known blog, and then removed for "legal reasons." Either the blogger was informed that he did not have the right to publish the material (confidential correspondences) or he was informed that publishing it would hurt Handley's chances of a reasonable sentence.

Very possibly the latter since it is very dangerous for the accused to talk about a case after the plea-bargain and before the sentencing (which is in January).

Since summer then there hasn't been a single murmur from anyone involved in the case.

I'll ask around and see if we can get any updates, but I'm skeptical and I refuse to be pushy in regards to anything Handley and his family feel they do not want to (or shouldn't) talk about, and I refuse to publish anything that could negatively affect Handley's sentence.

-t

(Clarification: For ANN to publish quotes from independant experts, and/or to publish editorials on this matter shouldn't have ay negative effect. For us to publish a quote from anyone involved in the case or related to Handley (him, his lawyer, his family, his friends) could have significant negative repercussions for Handley. See SPJ Codeof Ethics - minimize harm.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
tempest, that is a good attitude to take; lord knows he has enough on his plate without the media intruding.

But after he is sentenced, what then? Will you at least ask for an interview with either Handley, his family or his lawyer?

I feel for the guy, I really do. Even if I don't like his purchasing habits (although we don't know what exactly he bought), he still doesn't deserve to go to jail. An interview with Handley giving his side of the story could well be beneficial to his cause. Oh, it wouldn't get him out of jail any faster, but it might bolster his support among the worldwide Anime community.

Also, I wonder if ANN couldn't attach a fund-raising drive to any interview, to help out his family (even with a plea bargain it must have been expensive). Of course, you'd have to do it in a way so that it doesn't look like you are paying the family for the interview.

Lastly, I would hope that ANN attempts to secure an interview with industry commentators/insiders or others who have been closely following the case, to discuss ramifications and what-not. The Comic Book League Defense Fund would be a great organisation to interview, if you could manage it.

Eh, just my thoughts.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
speaking of handley does anyone know how this case and the "protect act" will effect manga and anime? i'm a fan of the seinen genre and certain manga worry me (berserk for the gutts and rapes or even code geass with kallen (boob shots) being a teenager after all and underage) and i'd hate to see them stop being released due to some half cocked law
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
speaking of handley does anyone know how this case and the "protect act" will effect manga and anime? i'm a fan of the seinen genre and certain manga worry me (berserk for the gutts and rapes or even code geass with kallen (boob shots) being a teenager after all and underage) and i'd hate to see them stop being released due to some half cocked law

As of right now, you should rest easy. As long you watching anything that has been published, you should be okay. The only things that have primarily targeted have been explicit cp. Merely showing nudity i.e. Code Geass is a-okay at this point, and there's no way they would hammer down on something so mainstream that its even broadcasted on TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1