• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yozakura Quartet Gets New Anime Adaptation This October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Translation: The first anime sucked and I didn't like it, so we're doing it over again with a better production and more of the way I wanted it.

Well, that's my interpretation, anyway. Even if it's not to that extreme, I can't blame him for wanting an adaptation of his work to be closer to the source and done better. If he wants a do-over and more involvement, then he is well within his rights to do so. I'm definitely looking forward to how it all shapes up.

This is definitely how I like to interpret it. YQ is a great manga and I was sorely disappointed when the first adaptation turned out so mediocre; it deserved quality the first time around, so hopefully this second chance will produce a genuinely good show.

Having said that, I'm also surprised by this announcement; I didn't think the manga was popular enough to warrant a reboot, let alone in such short order. I guess more people shared my opinion than I realized.

Emerje wrote:
Not just potential as an anime, but also its merchandise potential (which the original anime was rather light on considering the large female cast).

Yeah, this too. Razz
kill-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Was a decent series but was it really popular enough to deserve a remake, especially with the short time period between the original series airing?

I'm not too surprised given how Durarara!! seems to so popular at the moment. (Yozakura Quartet is by the same artist.)

Same here.
I think that's the only reason why they're doing this remake.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think that this is great news. But I do have to agree that it's a bit odd that this particular property is the one getting a remake. There are plenty of other series that deserve remakes and haven't had them. Maybe it's because they just plain adapted it way too early.

My guess would be that the manga's popularity in Japan is probably high enough that they thought that it would be worth another go at it. It may not be a huge hit, but it could still be popular enough to make it at least look profitable to make a new series.

Regardless, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I think that this announcement is definitely great news.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:
LKK wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Was a decent series but was it really popular enough to deserve a remake, especially with the short time period between the original series airing?

I'm not too surprised given how Durarara!! seems to so popular at the moment. (Yozakura Quartet is by the same artist.)

Same here.
I think that's the only reason why they're doing this remake.

Well that would be a ridiculous move on the producers part if true. Yasuda only did illustrations for the novels, likely based on Narita's descriptions and guidance. That would just mean Yasuda can draw, not that he's creative. To give YQ a second shot it would have to be based on Yasuda's own merits, not on art work done for someone else.

Of course, that doesn't mean they wont promote it as being from the character designer for Durarara!!.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Well that would be a ridiculous move on the producers part if true. Yasuda only did illustrations for the novels, likely based on Narita's descriptions and guidance. That would just mean Yasuda can draw, not that he's creative. To give YQ a second shot it would have to be based on Yasuda's own merits, not on art work done for someone else.

Of course, that doesn't mean they wont promote it as being from the character designer for Durarara!!.

And that's perhaps one of the major reasons for doing a remake, besides the first not turning out well. On the outset, it may sound shallow and a cheap way of garnering attention, but on the other hand, it makes perfect sense from a marketing and momentum standpoint to use DRRR!!'s success to propel renewed interest in YQ (which it and its creator was directly referenced in).

The remake was said to have been planned since last summer, before DRRR!! even started to roll, but knowing Tatsunoko, they have never shied away from a good marketing/merchandising opportunity, hence the announcement now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
artemisia128

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* if this gets a reset, then why can't fruits basket get one?
AngelsThesis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
i believe there's an error on the article,

why would a seiyuu be working on the storyboard?

isnt it suppose to be Kobayashi Hiroshi (or Hiro), not Kobayashi Yu?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
AngelsThesis wrote:
i believe there's an error on the article,

why would a seiyuu be working on the storyboard?

isnt it suppose to be Kobayashi Hiroshi (or Hiro), not Kobayashi Yu?

That information may actually be right, its just that there are two people in the industry sharing that name. There is Yu Kobayashi the seiyuu, as you mentioned, and then there is an animator also named Yu Kobayashi. An error report makes mention of this distinction, too. Of course, I doubt anyone would be mistakening the seiyuu's "style" of drawing for anything seen in any anime production, even the really bizarre ones... Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
See also animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=871160#871160

There are two Kobayashi Yū animators (or plausibly just the one who's had their name spelt incorrectly a couple of times)

Squinting at the source image for this article, it looks like 小林 優.

There was some of the seiyuu's "artwork" at the back of the Negipa! fanbooks so.. yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AngelsThesis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
actually its 寛 (Hiroshi) not 優 (Yu)

so i assume its this dude =)
person#24059

edit:
bigger ver. (sorry no idea how to make it smaller)
source: http://www.suzuhito.com/y01.JPG
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Doesn't look to be that simple either unfortunately :/

"Hiroshi Kobayashi" is also composed of at least couple of people, neither of whom are the one working on Yozakura Quartet:
The animation director for FMA: Brotherhood is 小林祐 (who also has credits mixed in under Yu Kobayashi),
the colour designer for WHR is 小林敬 (who has credits mixed in with Kei Kobayashi)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AngelsThesis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
but right now its to be the closest thing,

Yu Kobayashi is just out of the question at this rate
Heiji-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2