• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Captain Harlock's New CG Pilot Images, Staff Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randalt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm certainly looking forward to this. Unfortunately, my Japanese skills are very limited, and I can't trust Google or Yahoo translate.
"Rock Harbor" = Harlock. Smile
Still, it seems Harlock left the Union Army 100 years before. He raids supply convoys and is hunted. And there's an assassination plot.
Will Harlock fight a new enemy? Mazones? Illumidas? Machine People?
toru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
I saw the pilot film of Harlock. It was awesome.
I hope that this project will be realized in 2012.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
toru wrote:
I saw the pilot film of Harlock. It was awesome.
I hope that this project will be realized in 2012. http://blog.hobbystock.jp/report/images/tp0352/122.jpg

I think I wet myself.

I hope for God's sake that this is good. I will hold someone up by gunpoint to get this licensed.

Still looks awesome

(Does anyone else think his redesign looks like a final fantasy rip-off?)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
You can't really tell for sure from that grainy photo. But my ultimate fear as that this will look like a glorified Video Game Cut-scene. Like Resident Evil: Degeneration, or Final Fantasy IIV: Advent Children

I really hope these pilot footages get streamed sometime soon.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Stood in line to see this 5 times on Saturday!
Came away VERY impressed although with a few caveats:

-They got the CG model of Harlock PERFECT. 100% PERFECT. This alone is quite an achievement.
-Kei Yuki looks like she stepped out of a Tecmo game - looks a little plasticky.
-The space suits for the Arcadias pirate crew look like a cross between Capcoms Lost Planet and the Big Daddy from Bioshock - very odd.
-The Arcadia looks TERRIFIC.... except for some big forward-curving prongs that have been added to the ship (from the back - thing...hmmm some of the ships in the US Sci-fi show Andromeda). I'm hoping they get broken off at some point.
-At this point the entire trailer is in ENGLISH!!! What on earth? Mostly narration but the voice that is obviously Harlocks sounds like a cheap dub - wheres Kouichi Yamadera?!?!?
-A much darker and angrier take on Harlock - He smashes through several enemies at a time with his sword in the trailer (hence the hair spinning in the above screenshot). I hope the rest of the show can keep up a similarly dark feel.

Overall the quality was far beyond tv or OVA. If this is their goal, Id say its gotta be a theatrical release.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
ARGGGGGG Why isn't it steaming yet.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
Stood in line to see this 5 times on Saturday!
Came away VERY impressed although with a few caveats:

-They got the CG model of Harlock PERFECT. 100% PERFECT. This alone is quite an achievement.
-Kei Yuki looks like she stepped out of a Tecmo game - looks a little plasticky.
-The space suits for the Arcadias pirate crew look like a cross between Capcoms Lost Planet and the Big Daddy from Bioshock - very odd.
-The Arcadia looks TERRIFIC.... except for some big forward-curving prongs that have been added to the ship (from the back - thing...hmmm some of the ships in the US Sci-fi show Andromeda). I'm hoping they get broken off at some point.
-At this point the entire trailer is in ENGLISH!!! What on earth? Mostly narration but the voice that is obviously Harlocks sounds like a cheap dub - wheres Kouichi Yamadera?!?!?
-A much darker and angrier take on Harlock - He smashes through several enemies at a time with his sword in the trailer (hence the hair spinning in the above screenshot). I hope the rest of the show can keep up a similarly dark feel.

Overall the quality was far beyond tv or OVA. If this is their goal, Id say its gotta be a theatrical release.

I saw some really awesome images over here =>

http://www.fantasticexclusive.com/fforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4159

People on that forum speak of dark matter ship with large pointy organic sword. Is this true?

Oh god. I wish to rip out your eyes just to see it ... not really but PLEASE! (But Kei Yuki's shiny costume scares me.)

Please! Tell us more!

"A much darker and angrier take on Harlock - He smashes through several enemies at a time with his sword in the trailer"

Oh! Must. See. I always loved that Endless was a mature take on Harlock, hopefully this is too. But not so much anger but what he will take to survive.

(EVIL ANGRY HARLOCK MUST BE EXPRESSED!)
Randalt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Those pictures on Fantastic Forum are interesting. I can't say I care for using "dark matter" in the Arcadia but I guess it's an exotic do-anything-the-plot-requires substance. The biomechanical form is fine. Tochiro is in there somewhere...Cool
Kei Yuki looks good from that one still pic. Wonderful scratchy, worn textures in Harlock's mantle and pressure suit. Her and Harlock's clothing have synthetic, vinyl elements, with metallic bits too from what I can see. It will be fun to see how cosplayers replicate these!
I saw the Gaiking trailer. That looks so sweet... someone leak the Harlock trailer now please!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2