• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-03-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Hey, can we do this: Let's ban the word Moe. Nobody knows what it means and what hell does it matter anyways?

Here's a tip for ya: stop trying to come up with a label for it and just watch the damn show and see if it's entertaining? If you like it, yay! If you don't, boo! Whether it's "moe" or not should be the last thing you care about.

I hate how anime fans have to label every goddamn thing they watch. Ew, that's moe/loli/punk/mech/fanservice/blah blah blah. Why is everyone so narrow-minded?!
Sadly the world is not so black and white cause there's all this grey about, and the older you get, the more grey you find. Wink
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Hey, can we do this: Let's ban the word Moe. Nobody knows what it means and what hell does it matter anyways?

Yeah, we could just replace the word Moe with Smurf! I like Smurf anime just cause, well... they're so Smurf! Laughing

Okay, now I'm Smurfing my Smurf. Younger Smurfs probably don't underSmurf what I'm Smurfing. I probably shouldn't Smurf the interSmurf at such a late Smurf! Mr. Green
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I've actually done this myself. As a rule I don't use the term Moe anymore. It's become too broad and unclear and just creates confusion. I find the term 'otaku-oriented' anime is a nice substitute. It neatly encompasses all pandering, formulaic, ecchi, or excessively cutesey anime.
Bonsai89

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I still don't quite know what Moe really means...

Moe, I think, is what I automatically think of when I think of Japan. Like, is Hello Kitty a sort of moe character? Cutesy, circular-drawn characters that just look adorable.

(Please keep in mind that from what I've looked up 'moe' has to do with boys and girls drawn to look cute, and non-threatening, in no sexual way - so if I'm seriously incorrect in my assumptions, bear with me)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3