• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf Novel 2 Has Original Cover, Photo Jacket

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
silver_deeds wrote:
The appeal changes

Yes, and the general reaction would seem to prove this.
The_Q

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Youkai Warrior wrote:

I don't read Spice & Wolf, but I agree, the cover for the 2nd volume is much better than the first. However, I don't know why retailers are complaining about the original cover of the light novels. I see that as disrepesct to the author. "Oh I'm sorry, we can't use your original cover because it's too manga-ish. We want something more realistic and western." Rolling Eyes Well, at least they're going to add the original covers. I'm glad people spoke out.

I follow a number of blogs by people in the YA publishing industry (authors, agents, ect) and it seems that novels with illustration covers don't sell as well, hence why most US YA novels go for photos. I don't know if still holds water but that seems a likely reason for the cover changes.

It does.

Light Novels with a anime inspired cover never sells here. Ebery single novel that has had said cover type in the past has failed. Shana, Zaregoto, Seven Seas entire line, ever one of them has died.

In fact, for those who paid attention during Yen's original announcement of the cover change, bookstores don't even stock novels that have such covers.
lkmjr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness. The cover on volume 1 is horrible. I had to make a makeshift cover out of notebook paper so I could take it into school.

So, why was the first cover so distasteful? What sort of "wider demographic" were they aiming for with that? I don't think most fantasy bookworms would look at that and think "hmm, seems like and interesting, thought-provoking read."
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Original cover for 2nd Volume and "new" cover as dust-jacket, this I approve.

I would buy this, only if Yen Press would do re-print for the 1st Volume because I can't bring myself to buy it (looks at the horrible art, ugghh!). Crying or Very sad
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
I would buy this, only if Yen Press would do re-print for the 1st Volume because I can't bring myself to buy it (looks at the horrible art, ugghh!). Crying or Very sad

Dark Absol: From the article:
Quote:
after an outpouring of reader feedback, the publisher decided to also offer the dust jacket to online retailers, who would then sell the first novel volume with the jacket at no additional charge.

I ordered from Rightstuf after seeing that yesterday, and they said (in reply to my order comment) that they "have plenty of the limited edition dust jackets available". $6.99.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

Dark Absol: From the article:
Quote:
after an outpouring of reader feedback, the publisher decided to also offer the dust jacket to online retailers, who would then sell the first novel volume with the jacket at no additional charge.

I ordered from Rightstuf after seeing that yesterday, and they said (in reply to my order comment) that they "have plenty of the limited edition dust jackets available". $6.99.

I meant to have the cover as original (the same one as the japanese ones), not the dust-jacket.

Even if the buyers got the dust jacket, it still won't please them for the fact that the cover has the "new" art on the first volume.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm OK with it, myself. I mean, the dust cover covers the cover. I've never even seen beneath the dust jacket of half my books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3