• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: NANA DVD Box Set 3+4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGonspy

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Hm, so essentially, for an anime to be "mature", it has to unfold like a glorified soap opera?

I am huge supporter of anime and manga that tries to break out of the typical trappings of more mainstream stuff (things like "The Tatami Galaxy", "Honey and Clover", "House of Five Leaves", and pretty much anything by Naoki Urasawa within the past decade), but "Nana" has always seemed like an overrated excuse of emotional exploitation to me. The main themes echo those found in daytime soaps such as "General Hospital" and "Days of Our Lives"; everybody breaks down and cries about their meaningless problems, as well as actively engage in relationships that are obviously harmful to their mental health.

The only reason this show and the original manga are popular, in my opinion, is the fact that Ai Yazawa used two of the most popular Japanese female archetypes at the time and wove in teenage angst to pander to her mostly teen-girl audience. The characters all demonstrate the emotional maturity of thirteen year-old children, and make the whole gang in "Dragon Ball Z" look like responsible adults.

There are better examples of mature anime out there, and the fact that this is as popular as it is irks me as somebody cares about anime. I know many may disagree, but this one show which I am glad to see go.

Wow, I'm rather blown away. I don't think I've seen someone so completely misunderstand a series in a while.

There's quite a bit of subtext and maturity within NANA, and it's a little sad to see that you haven't noticed that it uses the trappings of soap operas to subvert its genre. There's also a powerful statement about society and women that drives the story forward. It sounds like you're confusing the clichéd tropes with the more complex themes.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it almost feels like we were watching completely different shows.
amarielah

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The main themes echo those found in daytime soaps such as "General Hospital" and "Days of Our Lives"; everybody breaks down and cries about their meaningless problems, as well as actively engage in relationships that are obviously harmful to their mental health.

As somebody who actually used to follow several soaps as a kid, I have to disagree. Soap Operas involve unbelievable twists and melodrama that just isn't realistic. Everybody's out to shoot somebody else, or has an evil relative, or has some long-lost child.

NANA is believable, if nothing else, and actually develops its characters. Their decisions make sense because they're consistent with characterization that is thoroughly explored. What's on display isn't ZOMG WHAT A TWIST, but rather the emotions and reactions of everyone involved.

For example, if NANA really were a Soap Opera, Takumi would have turned out to be a member of the Yakuza and would have blackmailed Hachi into marrying him--or something along those lines.

It also avoids the Soap treatment by focusing too heavily on two characters. When was the last time you heard of a Soap that didn't have an enormous ensemble cast?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
JGonspy wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Hm, so essentially, for an anime to be "mature", it has to unfold like a glorified soap opera?

I am huge supporter of anime and manga that tries to break out of the typical trappings of more mainstream stuff (things like "The Tatami Galaxy", "Honey and Clover", "House of Five Leaves", and pretty much anything by Naoki Urasawa within the past decade), but "Nana" has always seemed like an overrated excuse of emotional exploitation to me. The main themes echo those found in daytime soaps such as "General Hospital" and "Days of Our Lives"; everybody breaks down and cries about their meaningless problems, as well as actively engage in relationships that are obviously harmful to their mental health.

The only reason this show and the original manga are popular, in my opinion, is the fact that Ai Yazawa used two of the most popular Japanese female archetypes at the time and wove in teenage angst to pander to her mostly teen-girl audience. The characters all demonstrate the emotional maturity of thirteen year-old children, and make the whole gang in "Dragon Ball Z" look like responsible adults.

There are better examples of mature anime out there, and the fact that this is as popular as it is irks me as somebody cares about anime. I know many may disagree, but this one show which I am glad to see go.

Wow, I'm rather blown away. I don't think I've seen someone so completely misunderstand a series in a while.

There's quite a bit of subtext and maturity within NANA, and it's a little sad to see that you haven't noticed that it uses the trappings of soap operas to subvert its genre. There's also a powerful statement about society and women that drives the story forward. It sounds like you're confusing the clichéd tropes with the more complex themes.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it almost feels like we were watching completely different shows.

Ditto. I found Nana so intriguing mainly because it was one of the first manga I picked up that that featured girls my age (college age) adjusting to living on their own, in the big city. Yeah, the premise is a bit cliche', but I have yet to find another manga that features a punk rock chick and a shop-a-holic mod-addict like you're insinuating. I also don't really see the immaturity you're talking about outside of Hachiko's character.

The fact that you're criticizing it for the drama and over-the-top emotional problems with an Ouran avatar amuses me to no end.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
MarthaC wrote:
Well, thanks to the thread, I now know that there isn't an ending to the Nana anime and I just don't have the interest to catch up on the story in the manga. I've been watching the first few episodes on the free Funimation on Comcast. So is it worth it to watch it anyway? What is the opinion out there? Confused

Oh hells yeah you should watch it! Even as someone who found the ending frustrating, it's still astonishingly good. The production values are stellar, the story is wonderful, especially the relationship between Nana and Hachi. I'm dying for a second season, not telling you that you should skip it! By all means, check it out!!

@jenthehen
Who cares if they love each other? Seriously, it doesn't matter how in love you feel, some people should not be together. That's what I loved about Paradise Kiss; spoiler[they break up at the end, and it's a happy ending]. Besides, love isn't just an emotion, it's an action. spoiler[Takumi] may "love" Hachi, but he does not treat her in a loving fashion; he treats her like crap. If Hachi wasn't blinded by the whole "but I love him" thing, she'd realize this. And I hope she comes to her senses later.

@Apollo-kun
Actually, no, they act a lot like young women who are only 20. They're still in the process of becoming mature adults, that's part of the appeal, you want to see what will happen to them. And how on earth you could compare San Goku positively to Nana and Hachi is just beyond me.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
JGonspy wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Ditto. I found Nana so intriguing mainly because it was one of the first manga I picked up that that featured girls my age (college age) adjusting to living on their own, in the big city. Yeah, the premise is a bit cliche', but I have yet to find another manga that features a punk rock chick and a shop-a-holic mod-addict like you're insinuating. I also don't really see the immaturity you're talking about outside of Hachiko's character.

The fact that you're criticizing it for the drama and over-the-top emotional problems with an Ouran avatar amuses me to no end.

Okay, so seeing these reactions prompted me to actually marathon the show for the past seven or eight hours and... well, after actually delving into it a little more, I can openly say I was wrong, in certain respects. I'm beginning to see exactly why people like it, and while I feel that there are many more mature shows out there, I'm starting to actually enjoy my time with the series. Thanks for your non-trolling reactions that made me reconsider my opinion. I can officially say that I've become a fan ^^.

As an interesting aside, after watching a lot of the episodes on Hulu, I promptly ordered the DVDs of them just to own hard copies. Talk about a change of heart, huh...
JGonspy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
JGonspy wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Okay, so seeing these reactions prompted me to actually marathon the show for the past seven or eight hours and... well, after actually delving into it a little more, I can openly say I was wrong, in certain respects. I'm beginning to see exactly why people like it, and while I feel that there are many more mature shows out there, I'm starting to actually enjoy my time with the series. Thanks for your non-trolling reactions that made me reconsider my opinion. I can officially say that I've become a fan ^^.

As an interesting aside, after watching a lot of the episodes on Hulu, I promptly ordered the DVDs of them just to own hard copies. Talk about a change of heart, huh...

I feel like we need a group hug right about now.

I'm glad we could help convince you to give NANA another shot! The whole maturity thing seems like something that could make for a great discussion (there are bits about NANA I think even most fans miss) but for now it's great to hear you've come around. It takes some guts to admit you were wrong, so you've got my respect for doing that too.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
While I like Nana a lot*, Apollo-kun does make some valid points. Every character comes with their own Serious Baggage that, as the narrative goes along, gradually overtakes any sort of dynamics with tone that you used to have -- things are rather miserable, any reprieve is so as to make sure the characters never fall too low, etc. When every character has this very angst-y situation, the story becomes less about borrowing superficialities from soap operas and more entrenched in their trappings. It undercuts the interesting melodrama and character nuances that are there, and becomes an exercise to see how miserable we can make everyone. It's a big reason why I prefer Paradise Kiss to Nana, where Yazawa doesn't unneccessarily wallow in sensationalism.

*Haven't seen the anime, but have read the manga.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
@Appollo-Kun: Glad you're on board as a fan now! Read the manga, twice the story (as in continuation and backstory on many of the characters, especially Takumi), none of the actual music, but totally worth it!

On the Hachi discussion, first I want to commend the reviewer on not spoiling anything. That must have been hard.

About Hachi: spoiler[First, I blamed her for getting pregnant in the first place. She sleeps around and expects the guys to provide all the protection based on their whims? The manga-ka makes a big deal about Nana O. taking birth control pills, and I wondered why Hachi didn't. Then I read that *birth control pills weren't completely legal in Japan until 1999*. Seriously! One would have to wonder if they are easily available and affordable in that situation....and wonder why Japan's birthrate is so low, but that's neither here nor there...

Anyway, my next thought was "She should go back home to her parents and go back to school until she can make it as a single mom." Of course, socially she'd be dead and shamed by society for a while...which Hachi couldn't stand.

At this point, I feel her decision was almost mature, considering her age, personality, culture and situation. To her credit, she never really believes that Takumi will be faithful and she swears to herself that she'll take that "punishment" as long as she's legally his wife (and therefore his #1 woman in a way). She takes a "I made my bed and I'll sleep in it attitude" that is both realistic and depressing for others to see (not to mention for her to live).]
captaincrunch

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
For all the Hachi haters (including myself) Isn't the fact that you/I have such visceral emotional response to her actions and the progression of the series overall what makes it so good?

I can't think of many anime that can make me hate something so much yet still made me want to watch the next episode, and then the next, and the the next...

You'd think what she did to everyone was pretty messed up, but I think they all ended up better off without her, Nana and Nobu especially.

BTW, the one character I didn't like was that girl Mai... at least Hachi had a personality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3