• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-05-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
AFAIK Animax Asia's dubs are done in Hong Kong and the Philippines. I think Odex was the only one doing dubs in Singapore. In any case, yeah the dubs are done very quickly and cheaply.

Animax was airing a lot of promos with the K-On! seiyuu, but the subtitled airing was only at midnight.

I also heard that they did Shakguan no Shana season 2,as well as Rosario Vampire after a guy e-mailed me the videos that were hosted on veoh. in fact there's a lot of the animax dubs online and in my view their ok. Sure their cheap,but it's still watchable.

Quote:
"the fansub kiddies are just leeches and scoundrels and don't know the true worth and value of things"

I agree with the CO and this quote 100% percent.

Fansubers and their streaming sites are definately leechers , and they hurt the US side a lot. Probably why Bang Zoom's ECO is threatening to no longer produce dubs. It's the same for people who rip dub eps from the dvds too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here is a cartoon approximation of what happened after I clicked on his link.

Well, it isn't to everyone's tastes. Fortunately, the after-effects of accidental exposure are relatively short-lived in most cases, providing those in the legal profession choose not to act upon their dislike of it.

Razzuel wrote:
Actually, there have been quite a few shows that have gone from streaming on Crunchyroll to a DVD release.

One of the main factors that restricts my usage of Crunchyroll —save legal red tape— is the fact that the list of available titles I'd be able to purchase on DVD after enjoying is still somewhat slim. I opted to cease my viewing of White Album and So Ra No Wo To owing to a suspicion that no DVD release for such titles was likely. Though one could say I look a gift horse in the mouth, what CR offers does not rest well with a shelf-oriented mentality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rabrek

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:
And here's a shocker - the Japanese don't print the color pages in color in the tanks either. You only get color pages if you buy the original magazine.

The Japanese tanks don't print the chapter color pages, but there are 1-2 color pages (2-4 page sides) at the front of all of the tanks on my shelves. I've read many a complaint about US publishers skipping those glossy color pages in their releases, and I assumed these were what the original poster was referring to. Can't say for sure, but it was certainly the first thing that came to mind for me.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:

Second: All North American manga releases are printed LARGER than the original Japanese tankobons. And here's a shocker - the Japanese don't print the color pages in color in the tanks either. You only get color pages if you buy the original magazine. Any lackluster covers you've run across are almost always the original covers, and the paper quality is about the same.

Tankoubon themselves are still an undersize format, they are reduced to that. And not everything is released as tankoubon, some are released as wide-ban .

Apologies about my above rant sounding ignorant, it was more to do with not reducing them to normal TPB size, you'd have to make them thinner or taller neither or which would be an improvement.
The comment on colour pages was indeed more to do with the insert at the start of many volumes, not the other incedental colour pages from the serialisation.
Either way I dislike the bind on most english releases, especially for double pages. I'd also rather they kept them on reasonable paper that is at least white.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:

... And here's a shocker - the Japanese don't print the color pages in color in the tanks either. You only get color pages if you buy the original magazine.

I probabably shouldn't interject myself into this discussion, but this isn't strictly true. I have in front of me six volumes of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. and all of them have at least a few interior color pages. For example volume #3 has 24 color pages. So color pages are printed at least sometimes.

None of the rest of my very small Japanese manga collection have interior color pages,with the exception of the title pages for Ah, My Goddess, and two facing fold-out pictures of Lina Inverse in Slayers. But nothing in Doraemon, or Yotsuba&!. I haven't seen the original magazines for any of these, so don't know whether they are removing ( or adding ) color for the tankobons.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
One of the main factors that restricts my usage of Crunchyroll —save legal red tape— is the fact that the list of available titles I'd be able to purchase on DVD after enjoying is still somewhat slim. I opted to cease my viewing of White Album and So Ra No Wo To owing to a suspicion that no DVD release for such titles was likely. Though one could say I look a gift horse in the mouth, what CR offers does not rest well with a shelf-oriented mentality.

So what you are saying is that you watch a streaming series primarily to decide what is worth acquiring for your shelves, rather than, as some might do, watch it to enjoy the show?

I'd be happy if you asked whether that was in issue with anyone else in a Poll entry in the Crunchyroll Feedback section. I had a list of other reasons why I'd like to see CR try to help get some series over the hurdle into DVD distribution, but I've never thought of that one.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
So what you are saying is that you watch a streaming series primarily to decide what is worth acquiring for your shelves, rather than, as some might do, watch it to enjoy the show?

I'd be happy if you asked whether that was in issue with anyone else in a Poll entry in the Crunchyroll Feedback section. I had a list of other reasons why I'd like to see CR try to help get some series over the hurdle into DVD distribution, but I've never thought of that one.

I generally only stream series that I'm thinking about buying. I watch an episode or 2 and read some information about it and some reviews. What's wrong with that?

Maybe I'll watch more complete series streaming once I catch up on what's already out on DVD here. There's just so much good stuff out there so it doesn't matter to me whether I'm watching an anime streaming online the same time people in Japan are getting their fix on television.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
I generally only stream series that I'm thinking about buying. I watch an episode or 2 and read some information about it and some reviews. What's wrong with that?

Nothing at all, I just never heard of that before and wanted to see how common it was.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I think I exhibit similar behavior.

Partly it's a side-effect of, if, before I finish watching a series, I've already decided I like it so much that I go pre-order the whole thing on BD, then at that point it becomes less significant whether I keep watching the stream or just watch the rest when the BDs arrive.

The other thing is that the quality on BDs is so much higher than on streams that I much prefer to watch shows that way. But they're expensive so I'd rather not blind buy everything. (Talking about Japanese market BD's mostly, since there aren't many foreign BD releases yet. At North American prices it's easy to blind buy stuff, heh.) So I do often go to Crunchyroll or wherever with the mindset of "OK, let's see what BDs I want to buy this season!" rather than "OK, let's watch some anime!"
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
For scanlations, I only read four regularly online (Loveless, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Kodomo no Jikan), and for the first three, I always buy the tankouban when they're released, and for the latter, I read it online because I have no other way of doing so.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
spartydragon wrote:
And here's a shocker - the Japanese don't print the color pages in color in the tanks either. You only get color pages if you buy the original magazine.

The Japanese tanks don't print the chapter color pages, but there are 1-2 color pages (2-4 page sides) at the front of all of the tanks on my shelves. I've read many a complaint about US publishers skipping those glossy color pages in their releases, and I assumed these were what the original poster was referring to. Can't say for sure, but it was certainly the first thing that came to mind for me.

My Epic Comics of Akira has all colors! My colours are better than thou, ha! Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Yeah I think I exhibit similar behavior.

Partly it's a side-effect of, if, before I finish watching a series, I've already decided I like it so much that I go pre-order the whole thing on BD, then at that point it becomes less significant whether I keep watching the stream or just watch the rest when the BDs arrive.

The other thing is that the quality on BDs is so much higher than on streams that I much prefer to watch shows that way. But they're expensive so I'd rather not blind buy everything. (Talking about Japanese market BD's mostly, since there aren't many foreign BD releases yet. At North American prices it's easy to blind buy stuff, heh.) So I do often go to Crunchyroll or wherever with the mindset of "OK, let's see what BDs I want to buy this season!" rather than "OK, let's watch some anime!"

Thanks for that. It makes more sense for Blu-Rays than for DVD's, since the CR streams (at least, the anime member streams) tend to be available in higher quality than DVD video.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
PHOTOSHOPPED!!! OMG. Japanese releases are always the best quality everrr!!! If they turn yellow, that means they're even better. It's like alchemy!!!

But really, just kidding.

I'm sorry, but I just have to ask one question.

WHAT...is the POINT...of acting like this?

What's the POINT of all the contempt and the "burn the pirate/infidel" attitude? Does it help anything? At all? Even remotely? NO. If you have a good point, it'll stand fine on its own without contempt. And no, "YOU are what's killing the industry and starving these people's children!" doesn't count. Nor does "You are bad and you should feel bad!" or "I am a TRUE FAN and you are not!" Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that direct condemnation and reprimanding in general are worthless in this case. (Asking politely might not be.)

Of course, I doubt it'll matter what we say even if we do all decide to focus on practicality. Not much we could likely think of that the people who do this for a living couldn't. So all even that would enable would be allowing us to brag about having predicted their strategies or to feel superior about having thought of The Solution That Would Obviously Work when the companies aren't doing it.

So I guess we should just focus on trying to understand matters as best as we can. Conversation, debate...but no point in fighting.

One thing, though. If anybody wants to talk about comparing translation quality, let's get down to brass tacks. Pick a series. Pick lines. Better yet, pick a whole chapter/episode and transcribe both translations you want to compare. (And "inaccuracy" is only a valid criticism as it pertains to the information communicated. Rag on Negima volume 1 all you want. Razz)
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just have to ask one question.

WHAT...is the POINT...of acting like this?

What's the POINT of all the contempt and the "burn the pirate/infidel" attitude? Does it help anything? At all? Even remotely? NO. If you have a good point, it'll stand fine on its own without contempt. And no, "YOU are what's killing the industry and starving these people's children!" doesn't count. Nor does "You are bad and you should feel bad!" or "I am a TRUE FAN and you are not!" Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that direct condemnation and reprimanding in general are worthless in this case. (Asking politely might not be.)

I will not even try to defend myself by saying that that part of my post wasn't stupid. However, what you quoted has nothing to do with condemning those who read scans. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Perhaps you mean to say I don't need everything Japan has

Or perhaps he meant your not entitled to everything Japan has. you need a reason not to? How about you didn't pay for it and it's just plain wrong and your a douchbag for thinking you have some reason you should be allowed to just download it anyway.

I know you're just oh so indignant over this whole piracy thing but there's no reason you can't still maintain enough composure to avoid resorting to petty insults. If you can't even handle having a civil discussion then you can just take your little fit elsewhere.

If however, you are able to mellow out then I will offer my response. First though, I should clarify:

I certainly agree that it is wrong to take something anyway from someone else. In taking it away from them, I've caused them to suffer a loss. Unless I've done something (like paying for it) to entitle me to it then it's unfair for me to gain at their expense. However, I don't think you can claim that I am taking anything away in all cases of piracy. At best, a potential sale is taken away and even then, only in some cases. For instance, if I pirate a show and then purchase it immediately upon it's R1 release, what have I taken away? If I pirate a show from 1982 that was never released in R1, what have I taken away? Maybe in some circumstances I take something away from others but at least some other times I clearly don't.

That being the case, you're really only left with the idea you're presenting here: That it is inherently wrong to have something unless you have earned it or done something to entitle you to it. To this I can simply ask once again: Why? If I can have something I want without it causing problems for others then why should I not have it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5