• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Old's Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadRat

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
I'd like to thank Mike Toole for the new column. When I watch anime I don't just want to see it, I want to understand it. Part of understanding anime is knowing its origins and watching it evolve over the years. For example, from Princess Knight (Ribon no Kishi) to Rose of Versailles (Berusaiyu no Bara) to Revolutionary Girl: Utena (Shōjo Kakumei Utena). Sometimes the path is not so direct. For example, Lupin III plus Space Captain Harlock plus American jazz musician Sun Ra's Space is the Place album gives us Cowboy Bebop.

I hate to do this but I want to point out a long standing anime that got missed in the article. Gegege no Kitaro started off in black and white in the first week of 1968 and there has been a new series every decade since. I've always wanted to see it and so many more of the anime mentioned in the article; but most of it has never been shown in the US and there are no official subtitled versions. Even fansubbers only want to work on what is currently showing in Japan.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
what about Noiseman Sound Insect?

I can see I'm gonna enjoy this new thing.
AkiraKaneda

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
Fantastic article. When those of us who've been around a while learn reams of info from a single column, that's pretty amazing. Looking forward to reading more of your stuff soon, Mike!
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the positive vibes, gang. I want to reply to some of your remarks but I've got a long, long day of work ahead of me so it'll have to wait until tonight. Keep the feedback coming!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
MadRat wrote:
Even fansubbers only want to work on what is currently showing in Japan.

That's not entirely true. There's lots of classics that are fansubbed (probably one of the few legit excuses for fansubs to still exist.) Of the shows in this column, there are subs for at least one episode each of:

- Cyborg 009
- Gegege no Kitaro 1968 version (which wasn't in the column, but you mentioned it)
- Mahoutsukai Sally
- Rainbow Sentai Robin
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
I was born in 1958 and remember watching Astro Boy on TV in the 60s. Japanese television programs were quite popular in Australia in those days - the live action series The Samurai was a favourite among my friends at primary school. Sadly, my parents wouldn't let me watch it.

I also watched Kimba the White Lion - in b&w as colour didn't arrive on Australian television until the mid 70s. Gigantor was also around at that time.

When I rediscovered anime about four years I ago I had no trouble adjusting to its conventions - probably because they had been instilled into me by Osamu Tezuka at an early age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
Great article. It makes me sad that so much of this stuff (like amazing 3) is missing.
Reminds me of a film class I took where most of the students thought Akira was the first anime. Laughing
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
It's likely that most of this stuff made it to air because broadcasters were looking for stuff to show kids. Saturday Morning, that is the TV time dedicated to children, started in the 1950s with mostly live-action shows. The cartoons came in during the 60s but there was a shortage of material so broadcasters had to look overseas. However, the NA animation studios were established well enough by the 70s so that they were no longer needed.

In a sense, the first wave of anime failed. There's about a decade where there wasn't any new anime on NA TV. But then Star Wars came along and created a demand for sci-fi. Since NA cartoonists weren't making any of it, the broadcasters turned to anime and shows like Star Blazers (deliberately renamed to cash in on the Star Wars popularity). That's really what started the current anime fandom.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
Good to see you here Mike.

For the past few years i have been using a line (I cribbed from the folks at AWO) at conventions and speaking engagements.

"It's not old school if it's in color!"
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
MadRat wrote:
Even fansubbers only want to work on what is currently showing in Japan.

But there are at least a few fansubs of ole b&w animes. No complete series, but at least a few episodes. The shows are
Cyborg 009
Gegege no Kitarou
Rainbow Sentai Robin
Mahoutsukai Sally

Cyborg 009 is just batshit crazy. I wonder, I thought the tv series wasn't that popular, being cancelled after 26 episodes and all. Plus, reportedly Ishinomori was really upset about turning one of the Cyborgs (Three?) into an annoying kid. Turning the black Cyborg turqouise in the 80's remake wasn't that much better though.

And there is one really curious thing about Mahoutsukai Sally: The b&w episodes have much better animation than the color ones. At least the one that I have seen.

Anyway, great column! I've been digging through the vault of "pre-otaku" anime myself for a while now. Nice to see I'm not the only one fascinated by these old shows! Smile
It's really fascinating that from the very beginning a lot anime where much more inventive and interesting with their visuals, than most of their western counterparts.

And, OMG, I never thought I'd see "Sennin Buraku" mentioned *anywhere* in the western internet! It seems to be one of the rarest shows in the history of anime.

As for Yasuji Mori, recently someone posted two late 50's shorts from him on YouTube, Koneko no Rakugaki and Koneko no Studio. Very charming stuff.

Sorry for the confusing post. It's just a collection of thoughts I had when reading the column, and I just had to get them out of my system! Anime smallmouth;
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
If I follow Mike Toole's philosophy that anything old school is stuff that was before I was born, the phew, everything in the 80s is still old school for me lol.
I think this column is going to be really cool. I am really looking forward to reading about what he has to say, especially if he starts out with something as awesome as some of the oldest of the old school anime. Anime fans should definitely take an interest in some of this stuff, especially Tezuka's works. Without these people wouldn't have the good (and horrid) anime of today. Hopefully I will get around to watching some of those B&W anime, they definitely seem pretty cool and the very very least, have some historic value in terms of paving the way for the development of anime as we know it today.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
First Erin Finnegan, then Jason Thompson, and now Mike Toole! Team Otaku USA is TAKING OVER THIS PLACE.

The logo for the column is an excellent effort. No doubt it was made by someone with graphic design talent and a knack for Photoshop. I possess neither of these traits, but I still think this is a more apropos image for capturing the true spirit of what I classify in my mind as The Mike Toole Show:

Please save this image and re-post it in all Mike Toole-related discussions from this point forward.

Note: for a second, I thought to myself "you know, I could just fix the red eyes if I'm already adding this text bubble." Then my brain instantly replied back "NO THE EYES STAY, YOU GO!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Can't say I've ever had the opportunity to consistently follow Mike's work, aside from checking out his appearances in a couple of podcasts and liking what I heard, but this column was a very interesting read about an undeservedly obscure yet fascinating subject.

I'm not familiar with any of the original black and white series mentioned, considering that the oldest anime I've seen so far is apparently the 1972 Gekko Kamen (not to be confused with Kekko Kamen, for those wondering, which was a later parody), but their historical importance is clearly paramount and it's definitely made me curious about finding out more.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well my knowledge of pre 70's anime is severely lacking, just the that samurai short that is considered the 1st surviving anime, the propaganda movies of WWII Astro Boy, Gigantor, Space Ace, Sally the Witch... so hopefully this will teach those young whipper snappers that old school is not just anything from before the 00, hat there was craft and blood and tears and talent involved in their creation (like Osamu Tezuka, Shotaro Ishinomori, Mitsuteru Yokoyama Go Nagai, Tadao Nagahama, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Ryosuke Takahashi, Osamu Dezaki among others) and not everything has to be the homogeneous pastiche that anime has become lately, and hopefully this season will open the way for new creative anime (also, the Japanese making lots of babies would help...)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

I'm not familiar with any of the original black and white series mentioned, considering that the oldest anime I've seen so far is apparently the 1972 Gekko Kamen (not to be confused with Kekko Kamen, for those wondering, which was a later parody), but their historical importance is clearly paramount and it's definitely made me curious about finding out more.

That was until a few years back transmitted on local TV in its Spanish Dub, "Capitan Centella".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5