• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Heroman Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
When I decided to sample the first couple episodes, I was fully prepared for it to be another cliched superhero series that I've seen before and just move on to other series. It's definitely old-fashioned in almost every way, like something from the 1990's. What I wasn't prepared for was how unbelievably charming this series turned out to be, and how likeable each of the characters were (including Lina, even if she does fulfill the stereotypical damsel-in-distress role). Joey is almost like the perfect example of an average-Joe (coincidental naming?), well-meaning young teenager that I could genuinely root for, and not because this show is telling me I have to. I was helplessly hooked from the get-go, and so far it really is everything this reviewer says it is and I continue looking forward to watching more.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for reminding me to continue this one. I watched the first episode and meant to, but life got in the way.

Even if it's a kids show, I find it fun. It's corny and sometimes predictable and cliché, but I don't find it hindering my enjoyment. Plus some of that animation is wonderful!

I'd love if Nickelodeon could grab it for their line-up. Kids could easily get into it...And maybe the dub could give Joey a *bit* of a more masculine voice....
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

And maybe the dub could give Joey a *bit* of a more masculine voice....

THIS! GOD, THIS!

Everytime I watch this, I think Spike Spencer or Bosch could be doing this voice and make it sound better. Please, if this gets dubbed, get a GUY to do the voice. I love this show but the girly voice with the girly body is confusing me!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I love this show but the girly voice with the girly body is confusing me!

If that confuses you then you just might lose yourself if you watch baka to test. Hideyoshi is too much.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for anime and manga license.

And while we're at it, someone needs to make an Ultimo anime.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

And maybe the dub could give Joey a *bit* of a more masculine voice....

THIS! GOD, THIS!

Everytime I watch this, I think Spike Spencer or Bosch could be doing this voice and make it sound better. Please, if this gets dubbed, get a GUY to do the voice. I love this show but the girly voice with the girly body is confusing me!

Joey doesn't sound any more girly then Naruto, Gon, or Allen Walker in Japanese. Joeys problem is his looks.
Joey getting too much of a masculine voice would be odd considering his looks and age.
I think a voice somewhere between Ash(Pokemon) and Tai(Digimon) would be pretty good for Joey.
albanian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
As someone who watched the Steve Holland version of Flash Gordon first time round (but not Buster Crabbe!), all I can say is that Heroman measures up to pretty well all the standards (and cliches) one would expect and hope for. Nostalgia value is high - and I wouldn't want to miss any of it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
I love this show but the girly voice with the girly body is confusing me!

If that confuses you then you just might lose yourself if you watch baka to test. Hideyoshi is too much.

(hypnotized) What are you talking about Hideyoshi is a girl....a girl...a girl...a girl

(Hideyoshi is a gender in of itself. S/he cannot be compared to the other traps Cool)
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Joey doesn't sound any more girly then Naruto, Gon, or Allen Walker in Japanese. Joeys problem is his looks.
Joey getting too much of a masculine voice would be odd considering his looks and age.
I think a voice somewhere between Ash(Pokemon) and Tai(Digimon) would be pretty good for Joey.

No, I...I think he sounds girlier than Naruto.

When I said Spencer and Bosch, I meant them using their Shinji/Renton voices respectively. Especially Spencer. I really think his voice would fit the character better
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

ArsenicSteel wrote:

No, I...I think he sounds girlier than Naruto.

When I said Spencer and Bosch, I meant them using their Shinji/Renton voices respectively. Especially Spencer. I really think his voice would fit the character better

Yeah, I think Joey is much more "girly" sounding than Naruto. I've never heard a 12 year old, even someone who hasn't gone through puberty, sound that high pitched. Even the kid with the highest pitched voice in the grade sounded like a guy. If anything, he had this whiny tinge to his voice.

Joey doesn't have to be Mr. Testosterone. Just make him sound like an ordinary 12 year old, which he was intended to be. An ordinary kid in a strange circumstance. Can't Lina's voice even be deeper than his at some points? I think Tai's voice would be good. In fact, Digimon's English dub, in terms of casting, was pretty decent from what I remember.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I think Tai's voice would be good. In fact, Digimon's English dub, in terms of casting, was pretty decent from what I remember.

Digimon, for the time it came out, had (and still has) fantastic casting to me. The dub hasn't exactly held up but the voices themselves were just about perfect.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To anyone who thinks that children's shows are by nature simplistic, dumb and ill-written and thus deserve to be held to a lower standard than older-skewing series, one word: Heroman.
Mind you, this ain't rocket science, but Heroman is proof positive that a kid's show—and one aimed at boys no less—can be intelligently written, involving, and pretty seriously kick-butt.

If you replace Heroman with "Denno Coil" or "Beast Player Erin" this makes for a convincing statement. But in the case of Heroman I watched like 4 episodes, didn't even know it was a children's show and still thought it felt terribly childish and flat, boring in general + ridiculous at times.

Heroman's design makes me think of the michelin man >.<
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
It goes without saying, but if America doesn't seize this opportunity to see how anime can be such great entertainment, then... yeah...

I, myself, haven't started watching it yet.

one post I 100% agree completely.

Also I'll wait until it comes to the US , which in my view they should have did a semi release to prevent piracy.

Hopefully It'll get a TV boradcast. And hopefully it'll be a CN broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
To anyone who thinks that children's shows are by nature simplistic, dumb and ill-written and thus deserve to be held to a lower standard than older-skewing series, two words: Digimon Tamers.

But I suppose this is the sort of thing people need to be reminded of every now and then.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Yeah, I think Joey is much more "girly" sounding than Naruto. I've never heard a 12 year old, even someone who hasn't gone through puberty, sound that high pitched. Even the kid with the highest pitched voice in the grade sounded like a guy. If anything, he had this whiny tinge to his voice.

Joey doesn't have to be Mr. Testosterone. Just make him sound like an ordinary 12 year old, which he was intended to be. An ordinary kid in a strange circumstance. Can't Lina's voice even be deeper than his at some points?

This has been my one real complaint about the series so far, and I agree with the comment about Lina's voice sometimes sounding deeper. I also agree that Spike Spencer would probably be a good fit here.

But the real question about any potential future dub (and I'd be shocked if this one doesn't get dubbed and released in the States) is: will Stan Lee be voicing his lookalike? That guy (who, by my count, has now appeared in at least five episodes) just does not sound right in Japanese. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
But the real question about any potential future dub (and I'd be shocked if this one doesn't get dubbed and released in the States) is: will Stan Lee be voicing his lookalike?

This is essentially what I was about to ask. INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.

Dennou Coil is a good example of a show for kids that's also for grown-ups. Hell, it has merchandising opportunity written all over it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3