• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches 2 BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
The reason it sells in Japan is because it has the mainstream appeal to capture the average otaku's attention on top of the fanservice for the neckbeards.

Do you have proof of this?

Quote:
The guys at Funimation, obviously ignorant to the actual content in the show, disregard this appeal and aim straight for the neckbeard audience. It still sells but at the risk of losing any potential of appealing to anyone but weirdos and open minded induviduals such as myself and anyone else who gave it a shot despite the ignorant 'criticism' the show gets.

Let's be real here: the fan service aspect of this show is not only inescapable but also in-your-face. I could easily see people being turned off by some of the shots in the first episode of the first series, and that content is present throughout the franchise. Not emphasizing that point would be irresponsible on the part of both reviewers and advertisers. Granted, the series do have other merits, but let's face it: this is not a cross-over title. It's made specifically for otaku, and any other audience it picks up is incidental.

Quote:
So why is it not accepted by the mainstream in the west? Because Funimation that's why.

See above comment about being made specifically for otaku.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
I think he was going by it having more mainstream appeal in Japan since it had a successful theater movie that made quite a bit of money, along with video games and other media.. when you start getting to that kinda stuff, you've branched out beyond just the otaku crowd and have started to reach the mainstream fanbase as well. Nobody would deny something like K-On is mainly an otaku anime, but its also has much crossover appeal as well, similar to Strike Witches.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/12/09-1/amazon-japan-reveals-2012s-top-anime-comic

1. "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" vol. 5 (Blu-ray)
2. "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" vol. 4 (Blu-ray)
3. "K-ON! The Movie" First Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
4. "Fate/Zero" Blu-ray Disc Box I
5. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 1 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
6. "Bakemonogatari" Blu-ray Disc Box
7. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 2 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
8. "Strike Witches the Movie" Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
9. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 5 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
10. "Nisemonogatari" vol. 4 Perfect Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

The movie was also one of the top 10 selling anime BDs on Amazon this year... otaku specific stuff never gets that big of sales numbers. You need to appeal to many different types of crowds to sell that well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
If you think Strike Witches has any kind of mainstream appeal, you need to list your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and imagine sitting down to watch it with them. I'm sure I can't be the only one who comes up a strike on every single one of them. And that includes my older cousin who lives in Japan.

Perhaps we are underestimating just how many otaku there are out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
If you think Strike Witches has any kind of mainstream appeal, you need to list your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and imagine sitting down to watch it with them. I'm sure I can't be the only one who comes up a strike on every single one of them. And that includes my older cousin who lives in Japan.

Can you see them watching Sword Art Online? Yet that has tons of mainstream appeal. We're just talking about anime that is popular outside of just otaku, which it has done. You don't have successful theater movies like Strike Witches did unless you have found a fanbase outside of the otaku niche.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Let's assume 100,000 otaku, rarely ever committed to buying the same shows. Something like Horizon and GuP, which are undoubtedly nerdy shows in nature, only reach 20k per volume, and I can't imagine "every single otaku" wants a piece of them.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Let's assume 100,000 otaku, rarely ever committed to buying the same shows. Something like Horizon and GuP, which are undoubtedly nerdy shows in nature, only reach 20k per volume, and I can't imagine "every single otaku" wants a piece of them.

Yeah, 2ch generally views 20k a volume as the "Max" an otaku specific anime can do... there just aren't enough otaku to sell much more than that unless you're appealing to a more wide demographic. Generally anything that sells over that I put in the category of crossover appeal.

All the stuff that sold over 20k this year off the top of my head:

Fate/Zero
Nisemonogatari
Gundam Unicorn
K-On Movie
Strike Witches Movie
Kuroko no Basket
Sword Art Online
Horizon 2 (just barely, which is around the cut off)

I think its safe to say other than Horizon, those are all the kinda anime that go beyond just what otaku like. I think people mix up "Mainstream" as thinking it also means its what older or "Mature" people would also like, but that has nothing to do with it. It means that people who might typically enjoy blockbuster action movies but not late night anime could like it. Or maybe kids could like it. Or just anyone outside of the main market for late night anime.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Partly, but this discussion is focusing on one element of the franchise: disks.

I wish people would stop this, because disks are just a small fraction of the bigger pie that's out there: merchandise.

Alter's figures of the girls, when put up for pre-orders, are one of the fastest to close-out the offer of any franchise I've ever witnessed. It's so popular, it's one of the few figures lucky enough to see a re-release.

The internet has played a very large part in opening franchises which were once restricted to a network airing and box art. With the chance to see for themselves what they're getting into, the growth of anime has been on the increase since distributors finally realized there's no stopping illicit streaming.

Success can no longer be marginalized to Oricon's sales, or what some website deems as "20k", because it's nonsense.

To validate the true success of a series, everything needs to be compiled, including movie tickets.

I also believe this is one of FUNi's best sellers, even if several fans in the Western market berate it for what it has.

Strike Witches suffers from the "too many chefs" conundrum, where it tries to appeal to so many people at once, it ends up being its own worst enemy.

I love this franchise, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why it's controversial, leading to a loss in sales because of it.

I can't wait for season 3. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I think what we're always set out to determine is what is the financial number needed to procure anime sequels. This is why people even devised that Manabi Line in the first place. Merchandise sales are nice, but they don't directly reflect the desire to watch the show like disc sales do. There are more variables involved, but I guess each show has its unique profit margin based on everything.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Merchandise sales are nice, but they don't directly reflect the desire to watch the show like disc sales do.

I can't agree to this. Even with my own experience, there have been several figures which lead me to the series. Demonbane is one example. I've had a figure of Al-Azif long before I ever had a chance to see the series. Too bad the figure's better than the series.
Very Happy

Quote:
There are more variables involved, but I guess each show has its unique profit margin based on everything.

Yep. It's one of the reasons why the committee model was adapted to produce anime. It makes sense: throw everything into a pot to get it started, then split the earnings over time.

Merchandise isn't like the show. Take Lucky Star, for example. The show itself isn't really talked about anymore but merchandise for it continues to this day.

The "rolling investment" idea is pretty strong, takes fewer risks (given how much of it is based on popular manga/games/VN), and can absorb losses much easier than the old way of producing anime.

Unfortunately, not all markets will be able to take advantage of this opportunity if they're not part of the committee. They're on their own, and this includes R1, which only has disks.

I'm not painting a doom and gloom scenario here, but it's why one shouldn't measure success on the sales of disks unless that market's sole reason for existing is based on them.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Unfortunately, not all markets will be able to take advantage of this opportunity if they're not part of the committee. They're on their own, and this includes R1, which only has disks.
Erica Friedman posted in her review of the first volume of the Madoka manga that she felt the release of localized versions would be better if it were coordinated better. Maybe it is high time we started seeing licensing committees grabbing all the rights at once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6