• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The shows fun has been guessing the fairy-tale references. Other than that its been a paint by numbers series. I've had fun watching it but its not going to be something I'd revisit down the road. I may be stretching on this, but I was hoping for something like an Empire Strikes Back episode. Something where the hero's fall deeper into difficulty. Then the final episode can end with a huge well deserved victory. Now I'm not sure what they will do other than some vanilla ep with a silly wrap up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
well your standard rescue the damsel episode, but I guess Ookami-san tried to chuck in their flare. I recognised a simular feeling and animation to one of Railgun's ending, although not nearlly as awesome, the battle against "wolf in sheep's clothing" kind of reminded me of how they did the accellerator in Index. Highlights really are with the white haired guy and the turtle girl, aswell as the hare was kind of nice too. I do kind of feel that something is not quite translated right with what alice's relationship with her cousin, I presume something with her adding "kun".

Anyway one episode to go, I am a fan of silly episodes being last possiblly paroding itself, though I am not quite sure how they can do that in this series.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm still delightfully pleased with the series. For me, it hasn't been all about the fairy tale stuff. I actually haven't paid that much attention to the fairy tale references at all. Sure, when something new is introduced it crosses my mind, but it's not a gigantic part of the show for me.

This is one of the few genuinely redeeming male characters I've seen in a while. I originally thought he was going to be some kind of passive, weak character the whole time. To my surprise, his character developed nicely. Although, I wish there had been more character development for Ookamisan and some of her fellow Otogi Bank Colleagues.

I feel like, by ending it at 12 episodes, they're trying to push for a second season. Unfortunately, I don't think the popularity is there. But I hope it gets one.

I don't think it's possible for them to have a nice conclusion to the story within one episode. It feels like they already ended it with episode 11.

Here's to hoping for a great ending, but I'm not holding my breath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ok just finished eps 11/12

The story really did seem to end at 11, I mean the whole thing with ep 12 was kind of unneeded I think.

Though you could take it as Ryōshi's transformation from weak "I can't be looked at" to him being able to stand by Ookami and help her fight along with helping others with out a fear of being looked upon. Which was somewhat clearly shown in the second half of ep 12.

Over all it could have ended at 11 seeing as it was a good stopping point, ep 12 was unneeded but it just backed up things we already knew.

I have to say this series was better then I thought it was going to be. I hope it gets a second season, because I for one enjoyed it. Here's hoping Funimation does a good job dubbing the series as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
I am a bit less critical of the final episode, it was not really for story purposes, the main big story finished at 11, but 12 was about what the show is really about. And that is it is about Ryouko and Ryoushi, they wanted to show that it is not like it is like say it was about episode 3 or so. We see Ryoushi is more confident, good to see a male protaganist with a strong sense of makeing a decision, and Ryouko is opening up more, she is not really as afraid of being hurt.

Also we got to see spoiler[a girl trying seduce Ryoushi with the most overdone anime cliche I have see since the father daughter bonding episode of Seto no Hanayome or earlier ep of Kanokon. All the more funny that he was actually fairly familiar with who she was already.] And it was kind of sweet at the end, of course a little too much tsundere "I don't hate him", not too desirable, but it does alright.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I ended up buying the BD set on a lark so I got around to watching it and ended up with an i-paid-for-this? experience.

It isn't really bad, but I can't really figure out its reason for existing. And why this title would make the business case for an English dub.

Speaking of which, this has my all-time vote for the mis-use/waste of a great VA, in this case Luci Christian as the narrator. She does what she was told to by the director I'm sure, but the problem is the director is an idiot. I guarantee you won't recognize her. Her job is to sound intentionally cheesy, but it just doesn't work.

Anyone else watching?
V1046-R

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about this show, and on the fence about buying this Blu Ray...your comments are putting me more on the "not going to buy" side of the fence.

Lately I feel I'm in a rut seeing the same stuff over & over again with whatever shows I choose to watch or buy. Waiting for something fresh to get me excited again.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
[previous comments deleted due to merger]

in my recent rants about the worst villains in anime I almost brought this one up. Hate that guy, and the way she turned from such a strong character to a damsel in distress when he showed up really hurt the shows estimation in my eyes.

But much of it was cool. neat characters, nice Japanese takes on western fairy tales. I liked the couple.

But, whether or not you like Luci Christian's voice, the question I have about the dub is, does she talk over the other characters lines? That was the really annoying thing about the Japanese performance. Although it was made worse because you had to read concurrently running subtitle lines and figure out if you were reading the narrator's lines or the characters, if any of it was important and whether or not you were missing anything going on on-screen.

Yeah, it could use a dub.

[EDIT: Merged. -TK]

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
APPLE 01 DOJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched two episodes so far but I'm absolutely loving it.

To answer the above, yes the dub narrates over other characters lines which personally I think adds to the humor of the show.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
that seems odd... could have sworn I talked about this one.

Sorry about that -- I should have done a full search instead of just looking through the most recent 5 pages.

Quote:
and the way she turned from such a strong character to a damsel in distress when he showed up really hurt the shows estimation in my eyes.

The problem with it is how quick it was. It felt like they were taking shortcuts.

Quote:
But, whether or not you like Luci Christian's voice, the question I have about the dub is, does she talk over the other characters lines?

Yes she does at times and if that was done for comedic effect it doesn't work very well IMHO. Annoying and not funny. Even more bizarre is that the narrator interacts with the characters at times.

As for Luci, I love her work elsewhere but here she turns her voice to a age-50 foolish matronly scold. It is actually quite a piece of work an a testament to her talent, but it is wasted this way.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
There's a second season being made?! Shocked

I thought the DVD sales kinda bombed...ah well, I'm happy it's getting more attention considering I kinda liked it. Not too thrilled about the shitty ending though.

It feels like the japanese does not know the concept of retribution...or eye for an eye...or paying a villain back for his deeds.

One of my rare pet peeves with anime.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Nobody said anything about a 2nd season and none has been announced.

I was sort of taken aback by the complaining about the narration when this first aired. I felt that the talking over the characters was fine as it was mostly during those drab exchanges where characters just stand there explaining things to eachother that so many anime are plagued with. Or maybe it was trying to read the different subs and getting confused as to which was which? As for the "50-ish matronly" comment; that's pretty much what the narrator was supposed to be, definitely so in the Japanese audio. Like an older woman reading a story to young children. I remember abunai made a strong case for it somewhere in the show's talkback thread linked to earlier. I guess it's sort of a love-it or hate-it kind of thing (though both love and hate would probably be too bold of words to use here). I've only seen the 1st 2 episodes dubbed, but I thought it was funnier than I remembered.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
I definetly look forward to getting the DVD when Madman gets it out here, it is a personal favourite, though I am a bit worried as I too had a problem with narrator the first time.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:

Nobody said anything about a 2nd season and none has been announced.

Ah bugger all....

I assumed there was a sequel or something is happening to the series since people are talking about it again for some reason after all the time it ended so long ago...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
@ Gon gon
It just came out on disk in the US, that is why the new discussion.

@ Dusky Predator
Does Madman usually get the English dub? I found the English narrator much less irritating than the Japanese one. This is the first series I have watched dubbed for a year or so due to that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8