• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon: Highschool of the Dead License to Be Revealed at AX

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
There's no doubt about it, Highschool of the Dead will be a hit in America, so whoever gets in it's all golden
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
As silly as I know this sounds, I've had the voice actors thought up in my head well in advance for years:

Rei Miyamoto: Luci Christian
Saeko Busujima: Christine Auten

The rest were all just voice-overs from other ADVision anime. They've been interchangeable. I'd still like to be surprised with this announcement. Maybe get some new actors instead. Or jsut get subs. Who knows? Geneon apparently.

But, hell, having Marina Inoue is a win all over, license or not.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
slickwolfie wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Its either Funimation or Sentai. Hopefully we can get a simulcast too. But if so then I'd prefer Funi because Sentai's video players has some problems.

Actually, both of their players have their problems. I don't watch a lot of anime on Funi's player, but I've had plenty of problems with it. As for TAN's player, they have little problems, but seem to fix them very quickly.
Slick
dont forget that funimation usually replaces their videos with hulu crap as quickly as they can which adds irritating commercials to the mix. not only that but TAN will also probably stream in HD for free users, funi does not do HD.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, hold up! I thought Geneon closed in 2007? Anyone mind explaining this to me how a company that went out of business is back in business?

This really shocks/confuses me though. If Geneon is back, this is fantastic news.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Whoa, hold up! I thought Geneon closed in 2007? Anyone mind explaining this to me how a company that went out of business is back in business?

This really shocks/confuses me though. If Geneon is back, this is fantastic news.

Geneon USA closed. they're talking here about Geneon Universal
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Geneon pulled a Willy Wonka. It didn't go out of business, it just closed its doors. Later it teamed up with Funimation to distribute some of it's properties.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Geneon pulled a Willy Wonka. It didn't go out of business, it just closed its doors. Later it teamed up with Funimation to distribute some of it's properties.

You know, that does make sense to be honest. Despite the fact I really enjoyed Karin and yes bought all the dvd's (starting with the limited edition box set) why Funimation would save a series like that.

It's not a bad series in the least (otherwise I sure wouldn't buy it) but it's really not a popular series either. Geneon teaming up makes all the sense now.

On to the series they licensed, since there is far too much fanservice (mainly because the characters are under 18) I would have preferred Arakawa Under The Bridge or dare I even ask the final season of Hare and Guu.

But whatever, the fact that Geneon is still around (somewhat) is good enough news.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm 99% sure that it will be simulcast on The Anime Network, which means that Sentai probably has licensed it. That "3 days left thing" would end on sunday, which is when HSOTD begins airing, and the font is the same as the HSOTD logo.

Heres the speculation thread from Mania. They seem to have it pretty much figured out:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=101337

Last edited by doubleO7 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

You know, that does make sense to be honest. Despite the fact I really enjoyed Karin and yes bought all the dvd's (starting with the limited edition box set) why Funimation would save a series like that.

It's not a bad series in the least (otherwise I sure wouldn't buy it) but it's really not a popular series either. Geneon teaming up makes all the sense now.

On to the series they licensed, since there is far too much fanservice (mainly because the characters are under 18) I would have preferred Arakawa Under The Bridge or dare I even ask the final season of Hare and Guu.

But whatever, the fact that Geneon is still around (somewhat) is good enough news.

You need to read the other posts. Geneon Universal is the Japanese arm of NBC Universal. It's completely different than the Geneon USA that use to distribute titles in North America and had their final titles distributed by Funimation. It's already been confirmed multiple times that Geneon USA will only exist until it's licenses expire.

Geneon Universal owns animation studio Rondorobe among others and is the master license holder of many titles in Japan. It's creation when Universal acquired Geneon was the big holdup to getting the rest of shows like When They Cry and Shakugan no Shana.

Edit: Apparently, Sentai is at AX. They have a booth, but no panel scheduled. If they do announce it there, or through a press release, it would be a bit a surprising. (Though not so much considering all the hints they've left on Anime Network's forums.)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
There's no doubt about it, Highschool of the Dead will be a hit in America, so whoever gets in it's all golden

Yeah, it looks like the kinda thing that could catch on in in the US. Zombies? Gratuitous violence? Girls? This show has alot going for it. I wonder if they could get it on tv?
psychopuppet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sentai has sent out a press release they have it and will be dubbing it.
Quote:

SENTAI FILMWORKS ANNOUNCES

HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD LICENSE

LOS ANGELES (Anime Expo), July 2, 2010—Sentai Filmworks today announced its acquisition of the new hit anime series HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD. Based on the ultra-violent manga by Daisuke Sato, directed by Tetsuro Araki (Deathnote, Black Lagoon) and produced by the internationally famed studio Madhouse (Deathnote, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D-Bloodlust, Wicked City) HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD combines hordes of flesh-eating zombies with state of the art animation for one of the most action packed anime series ever!

Sentai Filmworks will be releasing HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD in both English dubbed and subtitled versions throughout North America.

A deadly new disease is ravaging the world, turning the populace into mindless zombies, and the number of infected is skyrocketing by the second. As their fellow classmates and teachers succumb to the infection around them, a small group of students at Fujimi High School are fighting for their lives after surviving the initial outbreak. Now it’s up to Takashi Komuro to unite a small group of blood-soaked survivors in a desperate bid to escape! School’s not just out for the summer, it may be out forever as a handful of students face the ultimate test, survival, in HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD!

About Sentai Filmworks:

Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, including hit series like Guin Saga, XAM’d, Clannad, Gintama, Eyeshield 21 and hit movies like Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuff and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network and YouTube.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, there you go.

Pizza?

Last edited by prime_pm on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It looks like our pleading at TAN succeeded! Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Well, there you go.

Pizza?

Well, that answered my question.

What type of pizza? I'll take mine with pineapples and tomato's.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
psychopuppet wrote:
Sentai has sent out a press release they have it and will be dubbing it.

And I will be buying it. I had a suspicion SF would be the ones to pick this up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5