• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shocker Toys: One Piece, Soul Eater SDCC Exclusives

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Quote:
We can even just have a basic blob for a head and just draw the character's face on it! Yeah!

You must not be a figure collector. Check out the Revoltech, figma, and Nendoroid lines. Exact same technique is being used.

YOU must not be a figure collector. All those lines you listed either have unique heads, or at least unique hair sculpted for them. These things just have round blobs with no molded detail with the character's face on them (kinda like Hasbro's Mighty Muggs, but with even LESS painted detail)
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Quote:
We can even just have a basic blob for a head and just draw the character's face on it! Yeah!

You must not be a figure collector. Check out the Revoltech, figma, and Nendoroid lines. Exact same technique is being used.

YOU must not be a figure collector. All those lines you listed either have unique heads, or at least unique hair sculpted for them. These things just have round blobs with no molded detail with the character's face on them (kinda like Hasbro's Mighty Muggs, but with even LESS painted detail)

lol all of you must be n00b figure collectors, this is like a mash-up of Stikfas and Urban Vinyl, so this is basically a new type of collector item... sort of. Basically, the Stikfas customized. lol
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I only have one Revoltech (Asuka) and one Figma (Reika from Gantz), so I can't comment on differences between them and others from their manufacturers (though I have trouble believing Figma Reika and Figma Kyon have much in common Wink), but clearly their amount of detail and work done on them is far better than what we're seeing with Shocker, not to mention both offer customization features. As for the Nendoroid line, yes most are similar but at least it's a logical design by making anime characters "chibi" (and really cool when you do it for series that don't even feature animated shots like that, like Death Note), plus most are priced for about the same as these Shocker toys and even the Nendoroid seem to have more work done into them.

Anyway, whatever, I don't plan on picking any of them up, so no loss to me. For those who do enjoy these sort of figures, more power to you.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Let's look at it this way guys:

It's Shonen Jump characters modeled in Final Fantasy VII anatomy. Wink
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
(though I have trouble believing Figma Reika and Figma Kyon have much in common Wink)

As for the Nendoroid line, yes most are similar but at least it's a logical design by making anime characters "chibi" (and really cool when you do it for series that don't even feature animated shots like that, like Death Note), plus most are priced for about the same as these Shocker toys and even the Nendoroid seem to have more work done into them.

Figma Reika and Figma Kyon actually use the same joints and probably a similar base model in the 3D program they use to output the figure.
Nendoroids actually use a similar type of joint, but not as "locked" (if that's a good term to use for it). Similar but sort of simplified version of a figma... and, yes, chibified
But, all in all, toys are fun, if you actually let them "breathe"!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Drac wrote:
Lame, I wonder what they're going to do with 500 unsold boxes.

Bury them in a New Mexico landfill site along with all the other E.T. The Extra Terrestrial Atari 2600 game cartridges. Where else? Smile

Hey! I finished that game! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2