Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Scan Site Says It Will Remove Manga


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
msgundam2



Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 271
Location: Indiana USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
since The reason I buy anime and manga merchandise is because of scanlation and fansubs I should stop buying anime and manga From now on I'm getting free one way or another.

Last edited by msgundam2 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiyugi



Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

The problem with a lot of the publishers is that they're not willing to take risks, especially with titles from the 80's and 90's so you can understand why people visit scanlation sites to read scanlations of manga like the ones I mentioned in my original post.


Yeah that's true.

I know this is entirely different example, but you don't see American Comic Book publishers printing old comic books like Superman, Batman, X-Men or G.I.Joe books. And if that happened with some kind of huge graphic novel, they are not going to make many copies because it "might" have a huge fan base.

I say that's just common sense. I guess the most rational thing for anybody to do is just read the synopsis about that title. At least that what I used to do when I couldn't find a copy.

I sincerely do feel your pain though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BorgmanJayce



Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 298
Location: Hades via UK
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
The only way I'll support a legitimate digital manga future is if the publishers offer downloads-to-own that are available all over the world (and yes, that includes the UK), that are viewable on a iPad (I hate Steve Jobs with a passion and yet I'm still planning on buying one on import from the US as there's no way in Hell I'm paying a obscene amount for the UK version because it's handy for reading PDF books on as well as scanlated manga!), have none of that bloody DRM crap, are sold at decent prices (why do you think ebooks aren't succeeding at the moment?) and also have decent translations.

At the end of the day, if the publishers want to get rid of piracy, they'd be better off working with the scanlators rather than working against them as some of the scanlations I've read are just as good as the real thing if not better!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Draneor



Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 355
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
Kaesebrezen wrote:
We're finally back to IRC. Yep. Good news.

If I were the industry, I'd go after L**k next. Piracy will always be around, but running a massive XDCC archive of scanlations and untranslated manga is a pretty large target. I wouldn't assume IRC (or torrents) are safe.


Last edited by Draneor on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sharonlover



Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 77
Location: Washington DC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
*shuffles back to IRC*

at least now maybe we can fall back on the way it use to be before manga/anime became so fricken big. My wife tells me of a time where IRC and small ftp's brought us all the manga we needed. Looks like it's time to brush up on my IRC commands...it's been a while.

In a way, I'm glad to see they are finally getting their hands around this. As a scanlator, I still plan on working the few projects that I have and releasing them through my various channels (all things that are not licensed in America and likely never will be).

The fans are still going to want their manga and another method will arise. I did enjoy the ease of access to so much manga though, that will be missed. They really need a manga e-bookstore, I'd be willing to pay.

I'd also be willing to scanlate items for free, just to get this stuff to the fans. Hell that's why most of us do this, for the fans. Those in it for profit need to go back into the hole.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dagon123



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
since The reason I buy anime and manga merchandise is because of scanlation and fansubs I should stop buying anime and manga From now on I'm getting free one way or another.


Straw Man tactic but whatever floats your boat

also this isn't gonna stop piracy of Manga, there are still plenty of places that make you do 3 easy more steps and its right there for you, these aggregator sites are going down because they are so bluntly obvious and easily accessible,, find click, BAM its right there, the ones making money off of these I'm glad are going down, but I'm never going to endorse shutting down all fantranslations, because they give you a much broader spectrum of things to read, until I see Kodomo no Jikan and Freezing! get legit digital releases, I'll continue to use "other" sources then legit ones to read them
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iindigo



Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
The problem I have with no scanlators being around is similar to that of no fansubbers being around... Only the super mainstream stuff gets translated and published in the US while anything truly interesting is ignored.

Doesn't affect me at the moment since I can just head to the local bookstore or combini and pick up an original Japanese copy for ¥300 or so (yay for living in Tokyo), but dammit I can't read Japanese yet...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sharonlover



Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 77
Location: Washington DC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
iindigo wrote:
The problem I have with no scanlators being around is similar to that of no fansubbers being around... Only the super mainstream stuff gets translated and published in the US while anything truly interesting is ignored.

Doesn't affect me at the moment since I can just head to the local bookstore or combini and pick up an original Japanese copy for ¥300 or so, but dammit I can't read Japanese yet...


agreed'

snoopycool brought a lot of stuff that didn't kick up interest to the fans. Lucu, HelenESP, FrankenFran,

He also brought a few series that became so popular they actually licensed them (at which point they were pulled from his site, like a proper scanlator should be doing) such as Shiki, Deadman Wonderland, Flame of Recca, ect ect...

Point being, when scanlation is done by the right group and for the right reasons, it's a good tool for the manga industry to use to determine viability of a product. On the other hand, sites like onemanga and scanlators who continue to publish licensed material only hurt the rep of what scanlation is suppose to be about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BorgmanJayce



Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 298
Location: Hades via UK
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
iindigo wrote:
The problem I have with no scanlators being around is similar to that of no fansubbers being around... Only the super mainstream stuff gets translated and published in the US while anything truly interesting is ignored.

Doesn't affect me at the moment since I can just head to the local bookstore or combini and pick up an original Japanese copy for ¥300 or so (yay for living in Tokyo), but dammit I can't read Japanese yet...


At the end of the day, whether domestic anime and manga publishers like it or not, scanlators and fansubbers are a necessary evil especially if it's material that will never have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting a release in English (if the Hades Saga OAVs and movies get a legit release, then I'll buy them as long as it's not Sentai that releases them!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asimpson2006



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3151
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
I never cared for One Manga at all. I used other sites, but since most of them are going down now it's just a bit harder to find what I am looking for but it's worth it. Hopefully OpenManga or what ever it's called works out. If it does, I will support it fully.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuskus



Joined: 04 Aug 2009
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
We all know that this isn't going to stop piracy and will end up hurting those who use manga scan sites to read unlicensed manga. (When I say "unlicensed manga" I don't mean the latest chapter of Naruto, I'm talking about old Go Nagai comics or Fist of the North Star or the internationally famous Princess Knight.) I mean, sure, it'll keep some kids away from the pirated manga but do you think those kids will put out money for a volume of Bleach? Of course not, they'll just read manga in the hall of their local Barnes and Noble, which is incidently in the way of me looking for manga to buy. The rest of the kids will just learn to get their latest manga fix from irc. Speaking of which, can anybody direct me to an irc tutorial so I can read some Mazinger Z?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peroxid



Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 210
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:00 am Reply with quote
For me it's a good thing since I buy and don't read online, And with this kind of sites going down, I believe the sales will go up, so more licenses.

Still isn't there 1000manga left that is their sister site?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NDenizen



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
The obvious nature of OneManga means this was inevitable, really. Though I suppose it is good riddance - taking a mangaka's work and providing it in such bad quality never does the art justice, and the easy nature of it managed to cloud the effort that scanlators put into bringing us manga.
People started to assume that an end-result sight like OM was actually the heavenly provider of their weekly fix, when that just isn't fair.

That being said, I still used the sight regularly, to check things, try out new manga or use it as a means of knowing what's come out recently, as well as following whole series on there. As a result, I bought loads of manga because of online manga sites. Being unable to easily view stuff is going to make it harder for me to find new series - I am sort of forced to stick to the ones I know.

As for how its all happened, it seems no actual legal alternative exists for such a thing. So yet again this looks yet another step back, created by ignorant and conservative publishers in denial about how "intellectual property" works today. Not to mention that unlicensed stuff is out of reach too, how does that make sense?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Orange Hollow



Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 65
Location: Krasnoyarsk, Russia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
At least now we know for sure, that some ANN staff daily visited that site. Of course, only to get news, no illegal manga downloads, god forbid! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
luisedgarf



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Posts: 542
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I imagine some people will have trouble coping with the change, but this is something they probably needed to happen without realizing it if they spend all their time reading manga online.

Sorry for the schadenfreude kids, but I am honestly VERY happy about this. I sympathize with you all a little bit, but it wasn't mean to last forever, so buck up, and get your Otaku on in other, better ways.

http://www.shonensunday.com/top.shtml I highly recommend starting on Sunday


Well, since you live in the U.S. It's not a big trouble for you anyways...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group