• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amagami SS & SS+ (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I find it a telling point (and somewhat typical of galge in general) that the only girl who might interest me, personally, is not an option, and doesn't get an arc.

Ah well, I guess I'm just not the intended audience.

- abunai

You mean his little sister?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Haruka's best friend. She does seem interesting enough to award a whole arc. I'd definitely pick her and his sister over the clumsy and the shy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
To those who haven't already noticed. If you watch the very begining to the OP song 6 girls are shown one after the other, and is apparently the order that their arcs will appear.

You can check yourself, but I have also tried to decribe them aswell.
1) Haruka Morishima (likes puppies and kittens)
2) Kaoru Tanamachi (crazy hair)
3) Sae Nakata (sister's friend who he got snacks for her, has pigtails)
4) Ai Nanasaki (short haired girl on swim team)
5) Rihoko Sakurai (friend who was reading dieting books)
6) Tsukasa Ayatsuji (class rep)

At least now I am able to differentiate the different heroins.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
abunai wrote:
I find it a telling point (and somewhat typical of galge in general) that the only girl who might interest me, personally, is not an option, and doesn't get an arc.

Ah well, I guess I'm just not the intended audience.

- abunai

You mean his little sister?

Don't be absurd. His sister, while technically above the age of consent, is too young and too squawky to be interesting. Frankly, the whole Nii-nii thing is a turnoff, albeit funny.

egoist wrote:
Perhaps Haruka's best friend. She does seem interesting enough to award a whole arc. I'd definitely pick her and his sister over the clumsy and the shy.

That's the one -- Hibiki. She seems like the only steady and sensible one in the lot. If I were going to hit on any of those other girls, my interest would wane the moment I was exposed to their oh-so-colourful character quirks. What Haruka put our wimpy protagonist through would have made me walk away instantly.

On the other hand, his submissive persistence did get him laid in the end, and one should really never underestimate the value of that. Wink

DuskyPredator wrote:
At least now I am able to differentiate the different heroins.

I'm hoping you meant "heroines".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
I finally decided to give this show a chance after hearing it was starting to get better. I just watched the first 5 episodes and, quite frankly, it's a bit interesting. I read on here that there would be 6 arcs and each would revolve around Junichi and a different girl. I wondered how they would pull this off but it seems they're going with spoiler[a Clannad OVA style "okay here's what would have happened if he had gone after this girl instead" theme and then starting the story over after each arc. Which I think is better than the other option of him dating each of the 6 girls for a period and then picking the best one at the end.]

Not sure I needed spoiler tags there or not but better safe than sorry.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
If I were going to hit on any of those other girls, my interest would wane the moment I was exposed to their oh-so-colourful character quirks.

The swimming team girl looks like the quiet, composed type to me, although she does fall more into the kuudere type... Though in general, I agree. Reasonable, sensible people seem to get the short end of the stick (or at best a background role), don't they. Especially so in romance series.

Edit: wow. The feeding scene just made this show worth watching. That was excellent Razz

Oh and Kaoru seems to be great. I know I'm going to avoid episodes with Rihoko like fire though.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 - Getting out of the friend's zone.

Jun'ichi Tachibana now officially gains "The Fetishist" nickname. Which body part is he going to kiss next? To see the answer to that question alone makes the series worth it's time. Added all other merits, including the opening song and sequence which I grew to like, Amagami SS proves to be a must for romantic comedy fans like myself. In this episode I especially loved the final comments of those boys in the park.

Although the ending plot twist made me a little uneasy. spoiler[Oh noes, Kaoru saw her mother doing something she shouldn't be. I just hope it doesn't get too angsty for the sake of it. Like in Girl's High for those one and a half episodes - completely out of place and not even well done.]

So far the episodes have been pretty good. Keep 'em coming...

In my opening post I mention how bland first few episodes are, yet I didn't drop the series at that point (as I would usually do). There was but one reason that compelled me to check out a few more episodes - the whole confession sequence in episode one. Haruka cleverly lead him to confessing. Jun'ichi had no such thing in mind, yet he did, and when she turned him down he was... bewildered. Everything happened so fast! I bet "what the hell just happened" were his exact thoughts and knowing how his last Christmas eve turned out I could totally understand why he got so depressed. The point - it's a very unusual sequence. Definitely an attention grabber.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda surprised on how they chose the worst girl as the first one. They made it work well though, but you had to watch more than a couple of episodes to get to the good stuff. Most people drop it before then. I stuck with it because Kaoru was coming up, and from her first scene in the first episode I knew I'd like her best. Probably one of my favorite anime girls, even.

I like how these kids actually have at least one parent at home. Not that I think we'll ever actually see most of them (almost certainly not Junichi's), but they are mentioned as being at home, unlike most parents in anime (especially protagonist parents), who, if they are still alive, are out of town on business on a semi-permanent basis.

I'm looking forward to Rihoko's arc, too. That looks like comedy gold.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
Episode seven was an excruciatingly dull experience, but then again, the majority of the Kaoru arc has been pretty terrible. Besides for the bellybutton scene in the sixth episode, which gave me one of the longest fits of laughter I’ve had in awhile, the Kaoru arc just doesn’t have the same magic that made the Haruka arc so enjoyable. I solely put the blame on Kaoru for this change in quality because she is way too normal to truly grasp my attention. The Haruka arc worked well because she was a batshit crazy loon who was an absolute riot to watch, but with Kaoru, it actually makes perfect sense to for Jun’ichi to be pursuing her and it makes the show rather monotonous.

Oh well, hopefully Chubby-chan’s arc will be chalk full of sidesplitting hilarity.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
I was about to say how much more natural this arc feels than the the first one (except the throws...). I guess I'm just tired of the characters in romance feeling forced, with apparent quirks and all that.

Oh, how this thread reflects personal preferences post by post... funny, innit.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
I think I laughed at all the wrong parts of this. Or maybe the right ones, hard to tell.

I just finished the first "arc", and honestly the "behind the knee" thing was more ridiculous and awkward to watch than funny. But the little epilogue scene at the end of ep 4 was epic... I'll spend the next few hours picking my internal organs off the ground and pushing them back down my throat. It had a real Baccano kind of feel to it, like Isaac and Miria.

Overall if each arc is similar to this... well, it's entertaining but not exactly atlantic in depth. And I'm a little cut to find out that there is no Miya arc Anime cry By the way, thanks for that Miya can can link, JP - awesome.

EDIT: and now having seen episode 6.... Belly button?? This time (mostly thanks to the last time) it was so ridiculous that it _was_ funny. The witnessing sister made it even moreso. Really what is going to be next? Outside of the elbow? Left foot middle toenail?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I was about to say how much more natural this arc feels than the the first one (except the throws...). I guess I'm just tired of the characters in romance feeling forced, with apparent quirks and all that.

I mostly agree, but as I was finishing ep.7 I was realizing that the next episode is the last one of the arc. Maybe I should wait until I see the episode to comment but I simply do not see how the finale will not end up completely rushed and unnatural.

on a side note, the thing I was most upset about in ep.7 was that we did not get to hear Junichi's response to his sister calling him a spoiler["belly-button licking freak!" (or whatever similar phrase your chosen fansub used), as far as I knew he hadn't realized his sister had witnessed it and I wanted that seuqence to continue a little longer.] Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
I watched slightly less than half of the first eppie back when it first started and almost died of terminal tedium. However, y'all are kinda making feel that maybe I should try to persist. I may give this a second chance.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
^ Really, it's not that bad, - if you've got time to waste or want to relax. It even has some funny parts.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
I mostly agree, but as I was finishing ep.7 I was realizing that the next episode is the last one of the arc. Maybe I should wait until I see the episode to comment but I simply do not see how the finale will not end up completely rushed and unnatural.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too, one more episode would be better... even if there are hints of more-than-friendship here. I thought it was all a bit too quick with Morishima, too, so maybe it's just a general feeling.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Ep.8
so many times in a romantic series you have two people that like each other and can't bring themselves to simply and honestly tell each other how they feel and I want to yell at the screen to just get on with it.

And then we have this episode spoiler[in which that is exactly what they do, they're completely honest with each other, both come to the idea of going on a date, a mutual confession comes out easily and earnestly and they end up flirting in a delicate amnner and end up relieved and happy...
and it was boring as hell.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7