• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You Episode IV: A View Hope

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
if it was that popular how come they never release Beast Wars in original English on Japanese DVDs.

It did get a DVD release with the Canandian audio track. It was popular enough to get two movies. Getting a movie is evidence of relative popularity.

uh link or picture to back that up, please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
You were on the wiki just like me and it was mentioned there but if you need a link: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?r=any&exact=&q=beast+wars&order=score&media=dvdonly&step=20

Quote:
Audio Track Japanese: Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo
English: Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You were on the wiki just like me and it was mentioned there but if you need a link: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?r=any&exact=&q=beast+wars&order=score&media=dvdonly&step=20

Quote:

I didn't see any link on Wikipedia about the Japanese DVDs having English audio. All I see just saw is DVD information regarding Region 1 and Region 4 But the link is good enough for me, what bothers me, no Japanese subtitle on the region 2 Japanese DVD. Glad to see the Japanese finally got the English audio on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "fifteening"? As far as the dub, I consider it an extra. It's nice if it is good, but not the main selling point to a show.

Fifteening really needs to be added to the lexicon. I'd add it myself, but I can't word it concisely enough.

Fifteening is when a company takes something that is not or mildly offensive/inappropriate/vulgar, and purposefully "ups" the level of it, to get a higher rating (this term predating the US rating system, it's based on the British rating system, which had "15" as the highest [non-adult only, I'm assuming] rating).

I don't know who coined the phrase or when, but it was used to refer specifically to Manga Entertainment's policy of spicing up dubs to make them more appealing to a particular audience with their shiny red 15 badge. In the UK films and home video are rated by the BBFC and the available ratings are

U (Universal, suitable for all)
PG (Parental guidance)
12/12A
R18 (which you won't see outside licensed sex shops)

The BBFC themselves apparently remarked about the unnecessarily bad language IIRC.

I've recently made reference to a couple of Jonathan Clements' remarks about this and if I can just find them again.. actually, it was in the Appleseed commentary and I'm not going to dig it out to transcribe it right now. He did have this to say regarding the dubbing of Return of the Overfiend however:
"We also decided that whenever the characters' lip-movements didn't exactly match the script and required an extra syllable of dialogue, the syllable we would add would be "F***." It was our little tribute to Manga Entertainment's Anglo-Saxon scripting policy"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Quote:

I didn't see any link on Wikipedia about the Japanese DVDs having English audio. All I see just saw is DVD information regarding Region 1 and Region 4 But the link is good enough for me, what bothers me, no Japanese subtitle on the region 2 Japanese DVD. Glad to see the Japanese finally got the English audio on DVD.

What finally the BW DVDs have always been dual audio there. From Popeye to Bugs Bunny Japanese DVDs have been dual audio too, whenever an original track is available prior to the R2 release.
I will try to imagine how a R2 release not having subs is of any consequence to a person in the R1 market.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
I realize that fanservice is popping up in more shows these days but is it really even possible to have a show that is nothing but fanservice?

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=54

I also find it ironic that the purpose of fanservice is to "please the fans" but the complaints about it keep popping up.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
That definition should note it is meant to please domestic fans, which it does. Foreign fans complaining about things is what we do best.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
This has resulted in some weird ones, such as CPM giving Genocyber a 13-up rating, despite graphic, dripping gore and shota-molesting. I think this is just one of those times.

Violence is tolerated orders of magnitude more than sex in the US.

Yeah, but Justin mentioned shota-molesting (Shota is the Anime fan slang male equivalent of Lolita). Also, while violence is tolarated much more than sex in the U.S., I feel you're over stating the issue for this particular title. Genocyber is, from everything I'd ever heard about it, a lot rougher than Bleach or Inu Yasha and those are two well known shows that show up under the 13+ rating. On the other hand, almost all Gundam's, Infinite Ryvius (Bandai seems to use/have used 13+ as a catch call in the past), and the original Geneon release of Heat Guy J (which Funimation kicked up to 14+) so shows using the rating do seem to be all over the place.

BTW, I always had this idea in my head that some companies used the Gaming rating system as a guidelines for their ratings. Justin, do you know if there is any weight to that idea?
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
configspace wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
This has resulted in some weird ones, such as CPM giving Genocyber a 13-up rating, despite graphic, dripping gore and shota-molesting. I think this is just one of those times.

Violence is tolerated orders of magnitude more than sex in the US.

Yeah, but Justin mentioned shota-molesting (Shota is the Anime fan slang male equivalent of Lolita). Also, while violence is tolarated much more than sex in the U.S., I feel you're over stating the issue for this particular title. Genocyber is, from everything I'd ever heard about it, a lot rougher than Bleach or Inu Yasha and those are two well known shows that show up under the 13+ rating. On the other hand, almost all Gundam's, Infinite Ryvius (Bandai seems to use/have used 13+ as a catch call in the past), and the original Geneon release of Heat Guy J (which Funimation kicked up to 14+) so shows using the rating do seem to be all over the place.

BTW, I always had this idea in my head that some companies used the Gaming rating system as a guidelines for their ratings. Justin, do you know if there is any weight to that idea?

Actually, from personal experience and other people I know, and from anecdotal evidence I see from what other people (parents) will tolerate, I can say that's not an overstatement at all. We can also evidence of this the editing of anime (most forms of violence remains, but much fanservice, ecchi humor/jokes and certainly any nudity whatsoever is edited out) as well as broadcast TV in general. Yes, the self ratings now can vary with violence level, but it certainly takes a whole heck of a lot to get a TV-MA rating just from that alone. On the other, one nude scene and the show gets instantly gets a TV-MA rating, with the only exception being Media Blasters (which as I said makes more sense).

And like I mentioned previously, the complaint that ultimately got DBZ removed from Toys R Us was specifically about the very occasional nudity. Despite the pages and pages of characters literally beating each other to a bloody pulp, there was not a peep about that.

As far as "shota molestation" in Genocyber, I checked back because I hardly recall it (crap series btw), but it's only a few seconds somewhere in the middle of the first episode, and it seems almost a non-issue because it's in a very different context. It was not meant to titillate one bit--it was a group of thugs harassing the boy. They grabbed his crotch to make fun of him (something like asking how big was he down there), then they proceeded to beat the crap out of him. Fanservice or sex it was definitely not.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
I also find it ironic that the purpose of fanservice is to "please the fans" but the complaints about it keep popping up.
Lolz, that's pretty funny, once I think about it.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I had i bit of an OT question how do you get to be a guest on the show? Do you have to go on twitter? Just wondering ^-^
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
braves wrote:
Ever since then I've always thought of Justin not digging these style over substance shows. Nothing too personal, though. Just wanted to give my $0.02 since nobody else said anything about it.

Pretty much entirely accurate, though there are exceptions (the names of which elude me at the moment).

I thought it got it's themes such as risking the lives of everyone or guaranteeing the death of a few across a lot better than say Evangelion which had the exact opposite effect of what was intended. Instead of going outside and making friends they went online bought a Rei body pillow and called it their wife.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Jedi Master wrote:
Lolz, that's pretty funny, once I think about it.

You can make all shows service some of the fans all of the time, or some shows service all of the fans some of the time, but not all shows to service all of the fans all of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13