• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Ooh, a figure thread! I'm always looking for someone to chat figures with but other than my boyfriend, I don't really have anyone else to talk about it with.

My shelves are pretty dusty, I recently got an air purifier which seems to be helping but I don't keep up as well as I should on the dust so please excuse the dust bunnies. I have 8 cats, they shed A LOT lol

I believe that this https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.wood.92798/media_set?set=a.10152751352563709.651828708&type=3 should be set to public but looking at it, a lot has changed since April! I've redone 3 of the shelves and re-organized things. I should do updated shots next weekend.

Some recent updates include:

I also have Levi but he has yet to be put up for display.

Rozen Maiden key chains.

Card Captor Sakura - I adore this figure.

And a more updated version of my top shelf.

If I get around to cleaning this place next weekend, I will do whole room updates Smile

I am anxiously awaiting the arrivals of my Sailor Moon Atsumete figures
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-76TyVR5M4ko/UosCHd1xkYI/AAAAAAAAC_U/1UWFD1e-1KM/s1600/figuren-sailor-moon.jpg And the Card Captor Sakura kuji prize http://s1.tsuki-board.net/pics/figure/big/213907.jpg?t=1403069600 which are both in the mail on their way!
dudebro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I suspect it depends on where "here" is for you, apparently not Britain. If you are in the US they certainly do sell good display cabinets. The one in the photo above came from an ordinary furniture store. I've also gotten cabinets from consignment stores, antique malls and flea markets. Stores going out of business will often sell their display cabinets. Some of the cabinets I have came from a former Teddy Bear store. If you go back this thread you will find some posters who were happy with cabinets from IKEA.

I've looked through a lot of stores and Googled but there is absolutely nothing. Not even image search returns relevant results. I found one store that custom makes glass display cabinets, but I'm not some high roller private collector who can afford that.

Quote:
About cleaning figures, I tend to consider dust to be a preservative. I don't mess with it unless it becomes obvious. The more you handle your figures, the more likely something will break. Even fairly flexible plastic figures will break if they hit just right. Those odd strands of hair anime is so fond of are easy to break off.

I use compressed air and a very fine microfibre cloth meant for LCD screens. I don't see how they could possibly break from just carefully holding them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Can you afford this? The same company carries other cabinets. Or .This

Also like I said, the cabinet in my photo came from an ordinary furniture store. It was specifically listed as a collector cabinet as it has more shelves than normal (seven instead of four). Most furniture stores do have catalogs for things they don't carry. It is called a "picture frame cabinet" as it doesn't have front opening door frames to block your view. This opens by sliding the front sideways others open by little doors on the sides.

It is not the carefully holding that breaks a figure, it is the dropping. The more often you handle a figure, the greater the odds of dropping it. The more gently you hold it the easier it is to slip out of your hands.

In addition to what you use, go to a hobby shop and check out artist paint brushes. They come in all sizes and shapes. Get something very soft. They are great for removing that last film that compressed air doesn't move and your cloth is too bulky to get to
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
dudebro wrote:
I have around 30 figures...

Any chance of a picture?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
How about a photo of my most recently opened figure. Here is Nyaruko from NISA's Nyaruko, Crawling with love!

Is that enough leg for you?

Last edited by Alan45 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
^

Way to go to avoid criticism that her "underpants are visible from almost any angle".

My cup runneth over. Wink

I wouldn't be game enough to display her on my shelf. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dudebro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Can you afford this? The same company carries other cabinets.

I know about those Ikea cabinets, but they are way too small.

Quote:
It is not the carefully holding that breaks a figure, it is the dropping. The more often you handle a figure, the greater the odds of dropping it. The more gently you hold it the easier it is to slip out of your hands.

Well that's a risk with a lot of things, nothing specific to figures. The bigger figures might get damaged from a drop, but I've had a few of my figmas fall off the shelf a few times and they're completely undamaged.

Quote:
In addition to what you use, go to a hobby shop and check out artist paint brushes. They come in all sizes and shapes. Get something very soft. They are great for removing that last film that compressed air doesn't move and your cloth is too bulky to get to

I've been meaning to get a soft brush of some kind.

errinundra wrote:
dudebro wrote:
I have around 30 figures...

Any chance of a picture?

I don't know. My phone's camera is almost useless. I might try during the day if I remember.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
dudebro wrote:
Quote:
I know about those Ikea cabinets, but they are way too small.

Then buy two or more. Very Happy In my experience a six foot tall cabinet three feet wide and a foot deep with five shelves is going to cost US $300 to $600. Fancier cabinets go up from there. This makes the Ikea stuff inexpensive. If you can't afford things in that range I suggest you troll the local consignment store or flea market on a regular basis.

errinundra wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't be game enough to display her on my shelf

The nice thing about having a lot of figures is that people who are not into anime don't see the individual figures.

A couple more recent additions:

First the girls from Hidamari Sketch courtesy of Figma

Followed by Oshino Shinobu from the Monogatari series

This business of photographing figures is really complicated, it is not helped by the loss of the dedicated camera stores that used to be around. I'm still learning by trial and mostly error.

Last edited by Alan45 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't recall Miss Nyaruko dressing like that in the show...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Perhaps not. However, I find it so completely in character that I can't say for sure without rewatching. I think she may have suggested it and been threatened with the dreaded fork.

You are supposed to be able to use the crow bar thingy in her hand instead of the ladle. It was a bit hard to do and I didn't want to take a chance in breaking her heart hair in the process. It is hard to tell from the photo but she is standing on some sort of slime being. It is a 1/7 figure from Max Factory.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I like the figure a lot. However, I'm done buying any more until my spatial/financial sitch improves dramatically.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Shelving my figurines has always been a problem for me since I lack the room space for any glass cabinets. I end up having to dust my figurines monthly. My computer desk has been overtakened by my collection and add any more open shelves would leave me barely any head space for when I sleep. In addition, I can't move my furniture around to make space for a glass cabinet. Cleaning figurines is also a pain, I have compress air and brushes but they don't to remove all of the dust debri as clean as I want it to be.

Lastly, a funny story about my collection:

I live with a nuclear family so when I'm away from home for classes or work, my grandmother often goes in my room for a view of the outside on the balcony. I find out that she counts how many figurines I have and she constantly mentions that I have 24 "wives."
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Come on people, we need to keep this thread fresh. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a camera and some figures that weren't featured recently.

@EmbraceMe
You should get a male figure and see what your grandmother says then.

A couple more recent figures:

Mei Misaki from Another If anyone is curious, the doll does come out of the coffin, the joints are not real though.
Ririchiyo Shirakiin from Inu X Boku SS in full Oni mode.

And a figure that is not new but that I mentioned up above and I felt needed a closeup.

Shiki Ryogi from the Garden of sinners

Last edited by Alan45 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I've bought a bunch of figurines since my last posted photos of them. Unfortunately I can't post any photos due to internet because I'm currently vacationing in China. I'll post photos upon my return to the U.S. some of my new collection includes a Saber figure, a Senran Kagura figure, Fire Emblem's Tharja/Sallya (which has a great posterior). The Senran Kagura figure is one more of my favorite purchases because you can do so much with it. You guys will see once I post photos of her. Wink You'll have to wait till the week of of August 16 though.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Some questions to those people with Ultimate Madoka.

Does she dominate her surrounding figurines?

Did she thrill you when she arrived?

Does she still thrill you?

Does she accurately match the image (especially her face) from the TV series?

Does it matter?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 97 of 111