• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Yes We Kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting to hear things like "honor among thieves." I know many people are tiffed about Crunchyroll hosting fansubs in their beginning. Funny that many anime groups and cons had fansubs shown a few years ago. Some people watch a few episodes just for review. Some people do not watch at all (even though I am sure some of those people bend the copyright laws in other ways.) The point is .... life is not fair. Japanese anime companies shaft their own people to produce these same shows. Paying people little money. People just look away. No one boycotts the anime studios for outsourcing their own culture. If you want to boycott Crunchyroll, just do it and be quiet. Until you right all of the wrongs in the world, you are still a hypocrite. I am one too.

To make clear, I am not one into "justifying" x volume of purchasing due to x problem. Nor am I interested in I.P. turning into a money cow to milk for the rest of eternity with strings attached to it. That was not what our forefathers intended. Eventually, these shows are supposed to go to public domain (after several decades) for others to use and benefit from.

I do agree that the subject was avoided on the interview. What is more interesting is the dire witch hunt over the issue after the house is burning down. Quite of few of these sites have been around for years. Now we have the pitchforks out? Onemanga and Mangafox even had an Iphone app. No one had a fit until recently. Of course, some people will still go one enjoying their Nintendo emulator with playing unlicensed games on their fill in the blank device.

The interview was very interesting. Hopefully, the manga portal takes off. I would like to see everyone get involved much like what you see on 360 marketplace, Itunes, etc. Depending on how they set it up, I would not mind digital downloads if the price is good, and the DRM is good (non-existent would be nice or tolerable.) Ad based free site would be good to have to sample series. I would like to see the anime merge together like this. The video quality on Crunchyroll member side is very good for streaming. In a perfect world, Funimation, Sentai, Crunchyroll, etc. would have an anime site hosting all of their titles with money going to the appropriate companies.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
First Almaz read up on monopolies and why what you suggest shouldn't and couldn't happen. Leads to some unfair dealings.

Second you can speak to ghosts? Our ancestors believed in copy right so much it's in our founding documents, so thus a part of our nation since the beginning the major change however came in the 1970's were we recognized the copy rights of other nations, because we wanted to enter into a more "Fairer and modern world". Even if we take you public domain aspect into account it certainly doesn't occur an hour to a day after broadcast and is for the U.S. more than a few decades, lifetime of author plus 70 years. That's the basics. So to quote the intent "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

A lifetime plus 70 is a limit and keyword of exclusive.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Very interesting interview, but it was rather irritating that even now, he still found a way to justify the way the site used to operate. I'm genuinely confused how it was ok in his mind for Naruto to be on CR simply because they were offering a "simulcast" before Viz had a chance to do anything with it. I don't see how that makes a difference. It doesn't really change that they had licensed content on the site. I'm also glad Zac pointed out that the venture capital wouldn't have shown up if the site didn't have already licensed shows bringing in viewers.

I'd say that my feelings about CR remain the same. I wish them luck and hope they can help anime, but they won't be seeing anything from me.

I love their content and how easy it is to use their player now a days, also HD is nice. though I wish they would go back and redo some of the bad subs they have posted.
@LordRedhand I am a firm believe in the constitution but who's laws do you go by because crunchyroll is an international company since all of it's sales are made online to a global fan base 20% are in southeast asia 30% in europe and africa, a majority in america and then some other places as well I am sure.
P.S. anyone else find it slightly ironic that greed from FMA said the quote above
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Second you can speak to ghosts? Our ancestors believed in copy right so much it's in our founding documents, so thus a part of our nation since the beginning the major change however came in the 1970's were we recognized the copy rights of other nations, because we wanted to enter into a more "Fairer and modern world".

While I missed the part of ghost communications 101, I am familiar with our history to know that the "modernization" of our copyright laws is far from the interest of "we the people." Copyrights was intended to be there but not to the level (communistic/pro-business) they are now. I do not expect people to be versed in the real history. Heck, most people know little history now. They take what they read on the Internet as the word of God as blasphemous as it is.

timeldred wrote:
My digression about attorney culture: you know that famous photo of the construction workers in New York City all sitting on that crossbeam seemingly miles in the air, calmly eating their lunches? Every time I see that, my reaction is "no lawyer would ever allow that photo to be taken today." This image that is held up as a symbol of American grit and can-do has been turned into an anachronism by the fear of liability. Thanks, lawyers!

There is so much truth to your last paragraph. It is amazing how much things have change for the worse, in my opinion, in the past 40 years.

Last edited by Almaz on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
First Almaz read up on monopolies and why what you suggest shouldn't and couldn't happen. Leads to some unfair dealings.

People need to stop bringing up "monopolies are illegal, you can't do that" when referring to the anime industry. It's small enough no one is going to care if there was some sort of monopoly, and what Almaz is saying wouldn't even qualify as a monopoly.

However, this sentence:
Almaz wrote:
Copyrights was intended to be there but not to the level (communistic/pro-business) they are now.

is quite hilarious.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I am kinda curious. Crunchyroll is putting out a "professional dubbed" DVD (jury is out on quality until release). How many people who do not have 5cm Per Second already? I have a copy already (liked The Place Promised in Our Early Days better.) I know some people do not. How well will this do against something that have not had any release? I would like to see Skip Beat or Natsume Yūjin-Chō on DVD (already requested them on their survery.) Why something that had already been released and dubbed?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It would if it was a group f businesses coming together to keep others out or if one site were to gain control over the entire sector. This leads to an unbalanced approach to negotiations and payments. You know that fine eastern philosophy of finding balance? Having your works through one door is not balanced at all. Options

Also Almaz I think you need to study communism a little bit more. Here a first lesson for free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np2c0
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I am kinda curious. Crunchyroll is putting out a "professional dubbed" DVD (jury is out on quality until release). How many people who do not have 5cm Per Second already? I have a copy already (liked The Place Promised in Our Early Days better.) I know some people do not. How well will this do against something that have not had any release? I would like to see Skip Beat or Natsume Yūjin-Chō on DVD (already requested them on their survery.) Why something that had already been released and dubbed?

maybe because it is already dubbed and they already have full rights for it. and they think that stuff sells better with a dub. I know I will be buying it.
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Fantasy doesn't really evolve, that's why Lord of the Rings which was written in more than 50 years ago isn't that different from a recently released fantasy series.

It doesn't evolve if you only look at the genre on the surface and in terms of its most basic conventions. Yes, guys (and sometimes girls or demihumans) in armor or loincloths swinging swords at monsters and other guys (and sometimes girls or demihumans) in armor or loincloths seems to be unchanging from decade to decade. But the themes and allegorical subtext certainly evolve with the writers and readers. For example, Robert E. Howard's shameless bigotry (and I say this as an avowed REH fan) simply wouldn't fly today. Contemporary fantasy writers and readers tend to create and demand casts of characters that favorably depict more than just white men (and white men with pointy ears).
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:

I know several people who would like to pick up the DVD - they've gotten into anime within the last 2-3 years and are branching out from The Big Mainstream Titles. The ADV release went out of print in just a few months, didn't it? I don't imagine it was a huge print run, either. (Anyone? Anyone?) I missed it myself for various reasons, and I'll be ordering the new release promptly.

I'd like to see Natsume on DVD as well, but you have to admit that an hour-ish standalone release that's going for $70 and up on Amazon and eBay is less risky as a maiden voyage than a 26-ep (2 seasons) series with no dub. If this first release goes well, I imagine a more ambitious project might follow in time.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
Legend of legendary legends is somewhat interesting. People have like the 3 episode rules with new series and surprisingly enough, ep. 3 is the make or break moment. Either its interesting enough to continue with, or "no... maybe when it's all done." or "no more". I'd decided I'd keep up with it. It gets interesting. Still "meh" but getting interesting. But I agree with the aesthetics comments Zac and Gia made.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:

To answer the first question, I don't have it.

Second, the movie is out of print so I think they're just taking an opportunity here.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
A lifetime plus 70 ...
... would under a less pro-corporate Supreme Court be held unconstitutional ...

... which is completely beside the point for fansubbing. The Disney corruption of copyright has nothing to do with the practice of distributing without permission the raw of an anime the year it was produced, with or without an attached derivative work of subtitling, which is trampling on the rights of the creators under the most liberal imaginable copyright regime..

Obviously, as the naive engineers that started Crunchyroll started to grapple with the problem that what they were doing was blatantly illegal, versus the fact that they had all these "fans" telling them how great it all was ... they rationalized some compromise between right and wrong.

The problem is right and wrong are not like numbers ... (right+wrong)/2 = wrong, not half-right.

And having struggled to arrive at the compromise, even as flawed as it was, Kun Gao is too honest by half. If he were more of a corporate snake oil salesman, he would say what companies like Funimation want to hear, "well, we were naive, didn't understand what we were doing, we at first thought you could compromise between the rights of the owners and the desires of the audience, but finally we realized that rights are rights, even if a majority wants them to go away, and so we went to Japan and offered to shut down Crunchyroll if they wanted".

Give it that spin, "we were wrong, we know that now, we are so sorry, but we have changed our ways", and the copyright moralists would be far happier ... a repentant sinner is always good for the revival meeting.

But ... it seems more like Kun Gao finally did the right thing, but doesn't really believe that what they were trying to do before was entirely wrong. Its more that it was unworkable: properly enforcing the upload rules they arrived at would have required a massive increase in paid staff, and they couldn't afford to keep the site running without the income available from going legit.

And while right and wrong is terrain where engineers often come unstuck, unworkable and workable is more comfortable ground.

Personally I'm a pragmatist, so what I care about is that Crunchyroll is doing the right thing now. I don't really give a damn if they ever go around putting on a repentant sinner act, as the copyright moralists would clearly prefer.
Almaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
I know every time an older title is rescued there are quite a few people who missed out on said title. If it is enough to make money of off in this environment, I do not know. I know my Best Buy did not even sell all of their copies at the time. Now, I do not know if they will even pick it up. Crunchyroll on the podcast said that the DVDs are being sold in stores; however, they did not say which stores. On top of that, they are redoing the dub. Do not know if that is cheaper than licensing the one ADV did or not? I will not be buying another copy since I have the original release. For me, there are too many releases that I do not have to go double dip.

@LordRedhand
Sigh. I understand where you are coming from but do not agree. In order to not drag on in this forum, you can PM me. You and I discussing this will not change the world sadly.

@agila61
Right on for most part with my view point.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
... On top of that, they are redoing the dub. ...

AFAIU, the dub is already done, but it only had electronic distribution. This is its first release on physical media.

Indeed, that might have been part of why they picked 5cm/s ... with a dub already available, they can start out with a hybrid release.

If they do Aoi Hana, I'd expect it to be a sub-only release, and would hope they'd be able to work with Nozomi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6