• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-08-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
Great comic, but I have to disagree about the whole "Anno took a dump on the fans" thing. The End of Evangelion was a stunning, beautiful and daring piece of cinema that astounds me no matter how many times I watch it. Why do people hate it? Because characters die? Because you have to work out what the imagery means yourself? What would people prefer, Shinji and Asuka and Rei teaming up and beating all the bad guys and everyone being happy and totally okay forever?
Yes. Yes that would have been nice. Wink
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Manwards wrote:
What would people prefer, Shinji and Asuka and Rei teaming up and beating all the bad guys and everyone being happy and totally okay forever?

Eww.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
*reads the comments.
Oh, dtm42, one of these days, Robin will cover RahXephon. Will you be ready?

Yes. I mean, why wouldn't I be ready for when RahXephon is portrayed to be the Masterpiece it really is and have everyone changing their tune and riding the Reika bandwagon?

Wait, that came out wrong . . . . . .
sonickid101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
oh boy theres a lot of eva arguments boiling up again, so lets straiten it all out shall we,
End of Eva is a smartsy artsy film not revenge on fans
Rahxephon is a modern day Yuusha Raideen not an Eva rip off
and Evangelion merchindise is still totally out of hand that it makes star wars merchindise seem pathetic
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Obviously that statue of Anno taking a dump has some deep philosophical meaning. Message boards will take years to come up with a coherent theory about it and then conflicting ones will form thus creating debate over its true meaning for ages to come.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
the difference between a genius, and an EVIL genius, is that the one makes you happy and the other makes you happy by tearing your hair out...

Great stuff Robin, as always...
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if that's actually real poop, or just chocolate.

And about Master of Martial Arts op: I've seen that show!, but it had a different name. Actually it had lots of names.

And, fun fact: Anno in spanish literally sounds like Ano, which means A-hole.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Manwards wrote:
What would people prefer, Shinji and Asuka and Rei teaming up and beating all the bad guys and everyone being happy and totally okay forever?

Eww.
No worst than what we did end up with. Eash! Wink
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Manwards wrote:
Great comic, but I have to disagree about the whole "Anno took a dump on the fans" thing. The End of Evangelion was a stunning, beautiful and daring piece of cinema that astounds me no matter how many times I watch it. Why do people hate it? Because characters die? Because you have to work out what the imagery means yourself? What would people prefer, Shinji and Asuka and Rei teaming up and beating all the bad guys and everyone being happy and totally okay forever?

How dare you think like a rational person!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Manwards wrote:

How dare you think like a rational person!
I'm elderly, please forgive me.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
My personal theory

Anno wanted Evangelion to be about his triumph over depression and be an inspiring tale to get people out of the house and to make friends, but deciding (in a moment of gross incompetence) to also add in religious symbols because he thought it was cool. Anno being Anno (in other words a pervert) also made sure that the outfits would be incredibly sexy. After seeing how succesful Eva was Anno looked in horror as people began buying Rei and Asuka body pillows (the complete opposite of what he wanted) and watched as people started to add pointless references to Christianity meaning that no one cared about his tale of one man's triumph over depression.

Anno naturally got angry and made EoE a depressing story which included Anno ranting about how pawing over a 14 year old girl was gross. He would then go on to make a Cutie Honey OVA that was mostly about the lesbian relationship between Cutie and a hot cop.

Then Anno apparently began watching some movies and shows that where actually inspiring and decided to give it another try with Rebuild.

Next stop for Anno: how to make an anime whose backstory makes sense.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Rebuild of Eva 4.0 will be a 3-hour long end-of-the-world sequence where, after Kaoru brings about horrifying bloody destruction of everything we know and love, the world collapses into a banal, predictable moe rom-com featuring loli-ized Rei and Asuka fawning over a clueless Shinji. The ensuing two hours will be a barely-modified repurposing of the script from 6 random episodes of H20 ~Footprints in the Sand~ with the names replaced.

The end credits will roll over an 8-bit graphic of Anno pointing at the camera and laughing, while the OP theme from Master of Martial Hearts plays.

Sooo.... Best Movie Ever!?

The Xenos wrote:
Obviously that statue of Anno taking a dump has some deep philosophical meaning. Message boards will take years to come up with a coherent theory about it and then conflicting ones will form thus creating debate over its true meaning for ages to come.

Pshaw, clearly it's just a thinly veiled tie-in to the next UMD flick "Clean-up on an Isle for Two."
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
but deciding (in a moment of gross incompetence) to also add in religious symbols because he thought it was cool.

That's not personal theory. That's really what happened. Laughing

Charred Knight wrote:
He would then go on to make a Cutie Honey OVA that was mostly about the lesbian relationship between Cutie and a hot cop.

And it was AWESOME (kinda narm, but still awesome!)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does that Rei statue remind anyone else of the spoiler[freaky human-shaped monster made entirely of naked women] from Gantz?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
but deciding (in a moment of gross incompetence) to also add in religious symbols because he thought it was cool.

That's not personal theory. That's really what happened. Laughing

Charred Knight wrote:
He would then go on to make a Cutie Honey OVA that was mostly about the lesbian relationship between Cutie and a hot cop.

And it was AWESOME (kinda narm, but still awesome!)

I tried to base my personal theory off of some known knowledge such as the religious themes being pointless (stated by the Assistant Director).

Also RE: Cutie Honey is by far my favorite Anno series. Say what you will about him but his one of the most influential creators in regards to fanservice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5