• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Perfect Blue/Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow... this came out of nowhere. I don't know what to say, it's not as though I was expecting this. His work was always so interesting, too. Why do the good have to die young?

You will be missed Kon-san. RIP
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm terribly shocked and saddened by this. Perfect Blue was one of the first DVD's I ever bought. I loved all his work and was looking forward to future projects from him. I don't know if he has any family, but if so I hope they are doing okay. He will most assuredly be missed.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this just made my day end with grief .

I think I just shedding tears at the moment too. I am now pissed at myself for not watching Perfect Blue.

Kon still had so much to do. I can't believe another has fallen.

I will truly miss you, Director Satoshi Kon, you will never be forgotten.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely sad by this news. I have been truly moved by all his works and I admired him so much. Rest in peace, dear friend.

"a film director is like a painter, a painter puts the colors as he wants on the canvas" (Millenium Actress)
You made beautiful art.
ZajoII

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
This is such tragic news. Satoshi Kon was definitely an amazing director, one of my favorites, if not my favorite. A young death is always terrible, and there was so much more he could have done. He's left behind an amazing legacy of work, though.

Satoshi Kon, you will be missed. Blessed repose and eternal memory.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
glittering: I was lucky to see the Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers premieres. I got his autograph and shook his hand. Crying or Very sad

Dan: I wasn't a fan of Whisper, but I do recognize Kondo's untapped potential. Though, personally, this makes me think of Keiji Miyazawa.

jsieckza: He's credited as one of the artists for the Marvel edition of Akira.

Bara: Yeah, I know how you feel. I barely survived a red-light camera earlier.

Egan: Doesn't really matter what the cause was, as it sucks either way. But I was thinking it could be heat stroke, 'cus the Japanese are suffering from a bad heat wave which killed over 100 of 'em and hospitalized thousands, and he actually tweeted about the heat getting to him, too.

Viga: Yeah, he's a real effin' gentleman. His wife was lucky to have him.

Anyway, what's creepy is how he wrote in his blog about how he shaved his head a few weeks earlier, and felt reborn, and his wife compared him to a Buddhist monk. I just hope Miyazaki's got a few more years left in him, because I need at least one of my heroes to still be around until we can get some new blood in the industry... *sigh*
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Satoshi Kon. You will be missed. While you may be gone from this world, you will live on through your works.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Dreadful news indeed, my friend is going to be crushed when he hears about this Sad
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
It was the poster for Millennium Actress.

I've held off framing my Millennium Actress poster in the hope that I would see Satoshi Kon again and have him autograph it. Signature aside, I also wanted to have an opportunity to thank Satoshi Kon for producing such a touching, heartfelt film and thank him for sharing his unique vision of storytelling with the rest of the world.

::sigh::

I can't even wrap my head around this. I'm trying, but I can't.

This man's filmography was the sole reason I started to care about animated films again. I attended/braved Big Apple Anime Fest ONLY to see Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress. I paid whatever Lincoln Center asked for to see Paprika. Satoshi Kon's films were events I circled on my calender. Yume-Miru Kikai was no different; I've been anxiously waiting to know when the film would be completed and when it would debut.

My condolences to all those who knew Satoshi Kon personally; his colleagues and peers in the animation community; his family and loved ones; and especially the many people who's lives he touched with his films.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Satoshi Kon, One of the greatest directors in Japanese Anime History. My deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to your family, friends, and colleagues.

This brings tears to my eyes Anime cry , when I get off of work today In tribute to his legacy I'm Marathoning through the movies he directed in Chronological order Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely shocking news. I loved his work on Perfect Blue, Paprika, Roujin Z and Magnetic Rose. His works had a knack for standing out from the crowd. Anime has lost one of it's most visionary directors. He left us way too soon. RIP, Satoshi Kon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Mere words can not convey the joy I have for Satoshi Kon.

He shared his talent with the world and for that I am blessed.

Granted, my exposure to his works may have been limited (Perfect Blue & Paranoia Agent); but those few have helped me appreciate anime a little more and for that I thank you.

Satoshi Kon
1963 (Sunrise) - 2010 (Sunset)
R.I.P. Anime cry

Last edited by Dumnerd on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagi21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Man I'm so angry, I can't believe this is true...Satoshi Kon was one of my favorites. So unexpected. I loved Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Paranoia Agent, and Paprika. I still have the Perfect Blue VHS which made me a fan of his, loved his character and director style. Still haven't really sunk in that this is the end of such works.

Thanks for all you have given us, Satoshi Kon R.I.P.
tsukikage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Kon-sensei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Rest In Peace Satoshi Kon-Sama.

Another genius has faded away from this world. It was shocking to hear that you've passed away. Thank you for everything. You will remain as one of the most notable directors in the anime industry, especially among us fans. Your legend will live on through the beautiful works you've left us with.

I just spend these past hours watching Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika. Long Live Satoshi Kon!!! \(TnT)/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19