• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - But is it Art?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="animehermit"]
Wyvern wrote:

Quote:
Really the episode 13 of the 2nd Gig really makes you question.. much like judging gender based on online avatars in an MMO or forum.. what is seen may not necessarily be the case. (Although in My DM experience most of the time players tend to choose their own gender when imagining a character, but that's not always the case from game system to game system. I know my brother played a female avatar on WoW, because as he put it "I play this game for hours, might as well have something good to look at while doing so." which personally makes me go "Sigh" but is interesting...)

its funny that you mention this because, as an avid world of Warcraft player i know a lot of people who use avatars of the opposite gender. I never really understood it, I don't even do the traditional Role playing and i always choose a male character.

Given the chance I almost always choose a female character. I specifically avoid the use of "avatar" here, because I don't see the character as an avatar of myself. She is just a character in the world that I just happen to control, like any other game. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just don't identify myself with my character, even if it is an obvious self-insert type (and that includes anime).

And the primary reason, well, is stated above. I'd much rather see the backside of a female character than a male one (and front side, and side side...).
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
now THIS is my first computer...

man punch cards were SUCH a novelty...

as for the pic for what anime female? where's the brain bleach?
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
now THIS is my first computer...

man punch cards were SUCH a novelty...

as for the pic for what anime female? where's the brain bleach?

I used to have one of those!

My first computer was a homebuilt that I plugged into my TV for a monitor. Storage was a cassette tape player. No OS, just Basic. Come to think of it, it was pretty useless...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Since I'm already female, I guess I would most like to be one of the female protagonists with a reverse harem.

-Except I would make much better use of the harem.

.........um. like starting a moving company or something..... heh heh.

yeah sure. like that. Anime smile + sweatdrop
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Note: I'm also female, but I'd still like to be Kino. Or maybe Major Kusanagi. Or Haruhi from Ouran because I get to be fawned over by men and women Very Happy
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote
Kids, I too remember having to type my work out on a typewriter. It wasn't even a word processor!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
We had either a typewriter or a word processor when I was young (I even used it), but we had a computer too.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I also remember when AOL was hot stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I also remember when AOL was hot stuff.

Ha! My first email account was on Fidonet! For my programming requirement in college, I had to take Fortran on punch cards! To afford my first computer, I had to move out of my apartment and into a cardboard box!

Box! You were lucky, we lived in the gutter on the side on the street!

You were lucky to live on the side, we lived in the middle of the street!

{NB. Italicized statements not vetted for accuracy}
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Punch cards! Well, you win the old race. My dad used punch cards on huge computers.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Punch cards! Well, you win the old race. My dad used punch cards on huge computers.

Yes, it was programming on a batch programming minicomputer ... and the last gasp of punch cards at that University, since two years later, it was on greenscreen terminals connected to a Unix multi-tasking minicomputer.
cheesechimp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
As someone who went to art school the reason people say 'anime is not art' is because it is a crutch, or a shortcut.

Think about it. "anime style" came about as a way to simplify the human form in order to be able to draw it simply and multiple times. The whole point of the anime style is to simplify the character. Anime is art, but one static piece of anime-style art is pretty lazy, especially if you're in a art project where the teacher asks you to draw the human head and you just draw a quick sketch of Naruto. (yes i have seen people do this) And if your'e just mimicing a style, you're not learning anything.

The Venus of Willendorf, pretty much any European art prior to the Classical Era or during the Dark Ages, Cubism, and Edvard Munch's "The Scream" all use styles the forgo realism for simplicity and stylization, and few people protest their value as "art." I think the reason people say anime isn't art is primarily because they are using "art" as a synonym for "high art." It's like if a literary buff said that Harry Potter, Nancy Drew, and any book by Stephen King were all "not art." They're likely not considering the process of creation, but instead thinking about the "artistic value" of the final product. Because they know that most anime is titillating schlock created primarily to entertain without delivering a message, they assume all anime had too little artistic value to count as art. That is likely the justification, and I would personally say that very little anime is worthy of being even considered for the title of "high art." I wouldn't say anime is inherently not "high art," but I would agree that the pursuit of anime in an art class is stupid and counter productive unless it's an animation class or some pro-cartoon curriculum. Anime artists should allow a knowledge of how to draw things realistically inform the way they stylize their art, not stylize their art instead of learning to draw from reality.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
An example of someone who uses art as "high art" is Mr. Answerman himself, who says he's a cartoonist, not an artist. In that context, I felt like he was saying that because he doesn't use a brush or other tools of the trade, or hasn't learned the rules of concepts like proper anatomy, that he isn't an artist.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
About the fanservice being censored on anime. that was the reason why I stop watching fansub anime. Because I couldn't tell what anime was uncut and which was censored. That's why I'm glad most of our anime (I know some are censored like Strike Witches, Vampire Bund) are uncut on legal site like Funimation's video portal, Youtube, Hulu. I was a little upset when Sekirei: Pure Engagement is censored when Funimation did a simulcast for it. I'm glad that was brought up on the Answerman's interview.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
There have been recent examples of anime being broadcast on TV censored and then being offered elsewhere around the same time in a "director's cut" fashion, unedited. Seikon No Qwaser is a good example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5