• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oreimo Episode 2 Leaked 1 Day Before Japanese Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I would bet that most of the people foaming at the mouth about paying $5-8.00 for the shows didn't even get the subscription yet. Especially those who always spout out at the mouth about how the continuously download illegal fan subs. I'll give ANN the $8.00 after everything blows over just to show my support.
Also, if $8.00 will make you want to see a place of business burn to the ground, I think you may need some psychological help.
Slick
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
slickwolfie wrote:
Also, if $8.00 will make you want to see a place of business burn to the ground, I think you may need some psychological help.
Indeed, $8 that you can get back if you paid by credit card, irrespective of what ANN says or does not say. Definitely burning ANN to the ground is the one and only available response to losing $8 of credit balance on a credit card for a week.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
slickwolfie wrote:

This is America we're talking about here. We get mad over a 3 cent short in our change with threats of lawsuits fer christ sakes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
If ANN's aspiration is to bring fans and industry closer together, in something like this, its got a fundamental and possibly irreconcilable conflict between internet time, in which a day without news is a big deal, and Japanese business time, which sometimes seems to be more like waiting for grass to grow.

You're missing my point. They don't have to wait for the Japanese before making vague reassurances to their own customers, unless ANN is so business un-savvy that they signed a contract which has forced them to shut up completely. Which is just daft.

There's no excuse for remaining silent. There may or may not be a reason, but there's simply no excuse.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You're missing my point. They don't have to wait for the Japanese before making vague reassurances to their own customers, unless ANN is so business un-savvy that they signed a contract which has forced them to shut up completely.
I would expect that they are not so totally clueless that they think pressing the contract to the letter is the way to build business relationships in Japan.

If Chris or Justin has received a request to say as little as possible until a common response is sorted out, then their answer to the News side will be the same as if Crunchy or Funimation had received the same request. Which would leave Zac as much in the dark as if it was Crunchy or Funimation which was in this boat.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
slickwolfie wrote:

This is America we're talking about here. We get mad over a 3 cent short in our change with threats of lawsuits fer christ sakes.

Yes, but not that many. Usually those who do are are twitchy psychos, or lawyers thinking to make a big haul from a class action.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I think the point people are trying to make is that they'd feel a little better if there was at LEAST a "hey, we're working on it." it seems a bit negligent to people who are customers to not even give them that courtesy.

and 8 bucks to some people in this economy can be a big deal, especially if it's sitting on a credit card garnering interest.

I was looking forward to togainu so maybe by the time i finish watching other things i've got going on, it'll be sorted out.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:

and 8 bucks to some people in this economy can be a big deal, especially if it's sitting on a credit card garnering interest.

Well if any of those people are the ones who purchased the simulcast I think they need to reevaluate where they spend their money.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
glitteringloke wrote:

Well if any of those people are the ones who purchased the simulcast I think they need to reevaluate where they spend their money.

If the stream had been available here I probably would have paid it myself - it is much cheaper than buying two series on DVD, something I've been unable to afford for months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
I think the point people are trying to make is that they'd feel a little better if there was at LEAST a "hey, we're working on it." it seems a bit negligent to people who are customers to not even give them that courtesy.

I was looking forward to togainu so maybe by the time i finish watching other things i've got going on, it'll be sorted out.

While I can understand the need to confirm that they are working on it, wouldn't it be obvious in this situation? More like a notice of when an official statement would be given is better.

*not directed at you glitteringloke*

Also, for goodness sakes it's only $8 at the most we're talking about here. If it was that much of a hardship, then you shoudn't have participated in the first place. Even $8 sitting on a credit card these days isn't that much of a hardship.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
That's the point I was making. You can cancel a purchase on a credit card if the item has not been delivered, so even on one of those 30% per year credit cards, we are talking about $8*(.3/52) = $0.05. We are talking about someone who believes its appropriate to burn down ANN over a nickle.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether to laugh or sigh when I see people comments made by people who don't realize that rants are inherently hyperbolic.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't know whether to laugh or sigh when I see people comments made by people who don't realize that rants are inherently hyperbolic.
That hyperbole is why ranting over the possible loss of a nickel makes the person who is ranting look so ridiculous.

Its like encountering the drunk fellow ranting at why they always get four pennies back, and laughing about it with the teller after the drunk clears out of the store (true story).
unready

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
There's no excuse for remaining silent. There may or may not be a reason, but there's simply no excuse.

So you allow that they could have a reason, but you won't accept it?

Even if there's some truth that they're silent on the advice of legal counsel, I think it's much more likely that they're staying silent because they're trying to salvage the business relationship with Aniplex USA and they don't want any premature public statements to screw it up.

(BTW, why isn't anyone ranting about Aniplex remaining silent? Tip: This is a rhetorical question.)

agila61 wrote:
I would expect that they are not so totally clueless that they think pressing the contract to the letter is the way to build business relationships in Japan.

I'd state it differently. Business relationships are about more than contracts. If at any point you need to pull out the contract to resolve a business dispute between partners, it's already over.

Last edited by unready on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
No, it's just people focusing on the hyperbole. People like to make others out to be extremists. So why bother to actually discuss the parts of the letter that are quite well written and logical (ANN's own Justin Sevakis saying that FUNi needs to upgrade their server security 16 months ago and, as far as we can tell, falling prey to the exact same method of extraction) when you can just say "Hahah! He's going to burn ANN down over $5? What a loon".

It's just irritating. And I see it happen over and over again. People completely glance over actual points of discussion and only focus on the inherent hyperbole(s) of the rant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 31