• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love, Not War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I feel almost beholden to purchase it one way or the other, what with Funimation paying Oasis whatever the heck they asked for to use the original opening theme.

Only on the first episode, though. Confused

Wait, wait, like, on the home video releases? That's going to require some processing...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic to see Bamboo here writing the column again. Truly an exceptional treat indeed. I usually don't read Shelf Life usually, so it's great to get to read some reviews from Bamboo again.

Yet, none of the listed reviewed shows really interest me that much. But that is okay, as long as Funimation is making money, that is enough for me. Because there is always Dragon Ball and One Piece.

Thanks for the well written and very much enjoyable to read reviews Bamboo. But I have to admit, out of all the series, I probably would watch Line Barrels just because there is action if I were to watch any of the series.
Ian K

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As I was watching Eden of the East, I kept thinking about what he said. Every time the episode ended, I wanted to know what happened next. Every time the main character got on his motorcycle, I wanted to know where he was going.

I was affected similarly, always wanting to see what was around the corner. Unfortunately when the series reached the end of its run I felt like none of the events I had been waiting so eagerly for had been as good as I hoped they would be. Sad Still, I appreciate that it is trying to be different and intelligent, and I hope that other people like it more than I do and buy it so more series will follow its lead.

vashfanatic wrote:
Question on Eden of the East: DVD or Blu-Ray?

Apparently the BluRay looks pretty good (if not quite amazing). If it was me I'd go ahead and get the BluRays since they're so cheap, even though I'm in the same boat as you equipment-wise.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
Eden of the East in native 1080p, so really there is no reason NOT to spring for the Blu if you've got a player.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
It's great to see you back Bamboo!

Quote:
They're not meant to be realistic accents. These are the fake accents that we asshole Americans use to make fun of other countries, like the flamboyant Austrian and the sing-songy Italian.

I saw episode 1 on Funimation's website and the accents really, really, really grated on my nerves. Looks like I missed the point.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm happy that the Oasis theme is used even just for the first episode. That opening sequence has some of the best motion graphics work I've seen in an opener, and it's cut perfectly to that song. It's one of the smarter compromises I've seen a domestic company make to both keep costs down AND please its fanbase. Nice job, FUNI-- you earned my Blu-ray purchase.
SpaceSavage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Personally, I'm happy that the Oasis theme is used even just for the first episode. That opening sequence has some of the best motion graphics work I've seen in an opener, and it's cut perfectly to that song. It's one of the smarter compromises I've seen a domestic company make to both keep costs down AND please its fanbase. Nice job, FUNI-- you earned my Blu-ray purchase.

The Oasis song was used in the Japanese broadcast.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:

Yep. I'm really glad they bothered to at least have it on one episode, since I love that opening :]
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:

(At risk of sounding like an ungrateful fanboy--don't worry Funi, I'm buying the BD soon enough!)

I said as much before Funimation confirmed they would be using the Oasis song, but to reiterate, my view has always been that leaving it out of the license was a non-issue; an alternate OP soundtrack is about the last thing that's going to dissuade me from making a purchase, and it's pretty difficult to do that as is (so long as I'm getting DVD-quality video and audio [English track not necessary] at a decent price point, I'm good to go).

When I've heard people talk about the OP as a necessary inclusion, they seem pretty adamant about it; a compromise like this doesn't seem like it would jive with them. Seems like a weird waste of money.

But hey, the effort counts. I'll enjoy it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The Blu-Ray looks really, really pretty. But to be honest, the SD version looks just as nice, so unless you want to splurge, I don't think there's a big difference.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
SpaceSavage wrote:
The Oasis song was used in the Japanese broadcast.

I'm sure virtually everybody talking abotu EotE is more than well aware of that. (It was a pretty widely fansubbed show, which I'll quickly admit is how and when I first watched it as it aired.) It's also mostly irrelevant to the discussion. Production IG's deal with Oasis' Japanese label is a completely different contract that has no bearing on Funimation's deal with Oasis' American label.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
When I've heard people talk about the OP as a necessary inclusion, they seem pretty adamant about it; a compromise like this doesn't seem like it would jive with them. Seems like a weird waste of money.

For the most part, I break ranks with that kind of thinking. The whole "purist or die" mentality is something I've outgrown. (Quick for-instance: I'd be more than happy to see Macross Frontier have music edited out if it would make the cost of a domestic release feasible.) I'd rather be 75% happy with something than 100% dissatisfied.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
The Blu-Ray looks really, really pretty. But to be honest, the SD version looks just as nice, so unless you want to splurge, I don't think there's a big difference.

I prefer a hi-def option wherever possible, and in this case the price was more or less the same on Amazon. Made me one very happy shopper! Hopefully this pricing parity becomes more commonplace.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Earlier today, I saw Ira Glass at The Grove in Anaheim, as part of a public radio tour he was doing. For two hours, he talked about what made good radio, and what made good storytelling. In order for a story to be interesting, it has to always have forward momentum. It doesn't matter if you're telling an epic, or a banal work anecdote. A good story must be paced so that one action follows the other, with another action right around the corner, so that the listener will always be curious about what happens next.
A woman after my own heart -- I just love Ira Glass! Cool Anime smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Okay, well, this'll probably be my Christmas purchase, and I guess I can wait until then to make up my mind Blu-Ray vs DVD. I just know that I won't be able to afford an HD-TV or Blu-Ray player for a very, very long time, so I'm guessing I will be doing the double-dipping.

Oh, and I stand as someone who wanted the opening theme badly, not to the point of "no sale," perhaps, but I adamantly wanted it. If for some reason Oasis only wanted them to use it on the first episode (which seems weird), that's fine -- at least I have it once and don't have to keep a fansub or something to see its original glory. Thanks so much, Funimation!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4