• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pandora Hearts Sub.DVD Vol. 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm probably going to end up buying this despite the problems, reason being: I want to support anime releases that are targeted towards women.

...uh... what? Pandora Hearts is a shounen series...granted, it ran in a magazine with a higher-than-average female readership, but I don't think the creators would describe this as "targeted towards women."

It ran in the same magazine as Kuroshitsuji, and Nabari no ou that pretty much turned into BL halfway along. And all these other manga. It may be nominally a shounen mag, but in reality...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Is there a reason ANN doesn't include screenshots in their reviews? It seems like more and more reviews mention video problems, but it's hard to illustrate that without any pictures. I mean, even the season previews have screenshots, so why not the reviews, where people would actually be potentially putting money towards the show?

This thread has links to some of the screenshots so hopefully that helps you out.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
It runs in Monthly G Fantasy, which is published by the same company (Square-Enix) that releases Monthly Shounen Gangan, but it is not, in itself, a specifically shounen magazine.

Anyway,
Quote:

I'd personally swap those. Pandora Hearts is one of the most intricate ongoing manga. It's like Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, but done right.

QFT.
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely amazed, baffled and astonished to hear someone describe Pandora Hearts as simplistic. I feel like we watched two completely different series -- much as I love PH, personally in the beginning I found it so complicated and full of unresolved mysteries that I got a bit lost. This turns out to be one of the series's strengths later on, imho, as the various hooks carefully built into the plot start to pay off, but at the beginning it's certainly a lot to wrap your head around.

But judging by the praise for the father/son relationship in the Grim arc, which was the most boring and plodding part of the anime for me, I'm guessing the reviewer just prefers extremely different things out of their anime than the average Pandora Hearts fan.

I'm really disappointed to hear the video has been made even worse in the domestic version, though. I'd been looking forward to getting my hands on a US release very badly, but I guess I'll just have to suck it up and shell out for the R2s.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Loren Leah wrote:
But judging by the praise for the father/son relationship in the Grim arc, which was the most boring and plodding part of the anime for me,

But at least Grim arc turned out to be necessary in the manga.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
It runs in Monthly G Fantasy, which is published by the same company (Square-Enix) that releases Monthly Shounen Gangan, but it is not, in itself, a specifically shounen magazine.

Everywhere I've seen it listed, it's been listed as shounen. That said, yes, it is in the magazine with several series that are blatantly pandering to the slash-happy fangirls who read shounen anyway (there are others that are more explicitly guy oriented), so hey, maybe I should be rejoicing that it's breaking down an artificial gender barrier?

Edit: speaking of gender targetting, is there any way to get rid of the Sekirei ad? It may not be NSFW, but it's definitely TEFW (Too Embarrassing For Work).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Vash: myANN -> skins, and then you can choose a different skin.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Vash: myANN -> skins, and then you can choose a different skin.

THANK YOU!!
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
GFantasy has Black Butler and Nabari no Ou, but it also has Higurashi and Umineko, which are most definitely seinen. I wouldn't really give the magazine a demographic at all. It has series that appeal to men, women, children, teenagers, and adults.

But I definitely wouldn't consider PH to be shojo. Alice and Echo get a couple of panty shots, and that chapter/episode (you know the one) features a drunken Alice stripping half-naked.

It's slashable, but the author doesn't pander to female fans at all. Unlike Toboso and Kamatani.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It's slashable, but the author doesn't pander to female fans at all.

Mmmm, I must disagree here. The way that the manga-ka portrays a lot of the guys relationships with each other (close but with a touch of distance, a lot of times from a superior/lower ranking relationship, maybe slightly unfriendly to each other as well) is quite a bit of pandering to the female (and male) slasher fans. I agree with the "it's shonen but shonen aimed at girls," statement for the above reason, the manga-ka seems to be able to please both sides of the audience and adds visual incentives for both genders to keep reading as well (like the scene with Alice stripping? Also involves some very drunk, and very cute when they are drunk, male characters as well, yay for equal opportunity fanservice).
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What came first? Counter-culture's obsession with Alice in Wonderland, or the directed marketing of Alice towards the counter-culture? Somewhere between 1865 and Hot Topic's 1988 flagship store,

Here's a hint: Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" dating from 1967. Interpreted Alice in Wonderland as an acid trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_%28song%29
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Everywhere I've seen it listed, it's been listed as shounen.

everywhere = english-speaking / non-japanese websites?
You can check the japanese wikipedia or amazon.co.jp, which list the magazine simply as a "fantasy manga magazine aimed at middle and high school boys and girls".

It's one of the few magazines for a general audience, with series that are not so easily classified as "shonen" or "shojo".
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
...and is for that reason, depressingly hard to find. Even a popular series like Pandora Hearts gets pushed to the row BEHIND Shounen Jump in the Japanese bookstores (you know, the row no one ever visits?).

But yeah, I agree with everyone who says it is a Shounen series in terms of structure, but appeals to much wider audiences.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
For those worried about the video quality of NIS America's releases, as far as I can tell, Our Home's Fox Deity looks fine. So, I think that NIS America has likely gotten over their video problems. They had a rough start, and the insanely grainy nature of the Pandora Hearts video made them look bad (whether they turned the brightness up too high or not, the original video was too grainy, so they were pretty much screwed on that regardless), but I don't think those are representative of what NIS America's releases are typically going to look like. Only time will tell though.

In any case, if you haven't picked up Pandora Hearts yet, I'd say that you should go for it, grain or no grain. It's a great series.
Teufel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered this and hadn't popped in the DVDs. I was going to wait until volume 2 came out and marathon them as I love the series. So I was a little worried reading about the brightness and grain.

Popped the DVD and watched the first episode and eh... I can live with it. Maybe I just enjoy the show enough that I can ignore it, but I'd rather have DVDs like this than none at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3