• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The only down side to Beck is all the English dubbing in the show.

If it was a real anime show there wouldn't be so much English dubbing.

What's will all the F* words being thrown around in English.

If I wanted to watch Native English speakers in an animated feature, I would just watch normal TV.

Some of the songs were cool. The dog is a mess. But too much Engrish.
Ashton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
So the talks of a second season of Beck may be true.

Well, lets hope so but I kinda doubt it because spoiler[the slide show at the end of the last episode covered the whole American tour that lasted up to volume 15 in manga. They could continue the animation after that but I really don't see it happening.]
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:

If I wanted to watch Native English speakers in an animated feature, I would just watch normal TV.

I do like the Engrish in the show because Maho and Ryouskie grew up in New York City before the moved back to Japan.
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
ac_dropout wrote:

I do like the Engrish in the show because Maho and Ryouskie grew up in New York City before the moved back to Japan.

That's one of my gripes of the show, I grew up in NYC and I don't sound like Maho or Ryouskie.

They found native English speakers from the UK to voice the thugs in the show. They should have found native English speakers from NY to voice over Maho or Ryouskie line.

People in Japan won't notice the difference. But could you imagine what mainstream USA will think when they switch over to the Japanese audio track on their DVD. WTF Maho and Ryouskie sound like FOB's instead of people that grew up in NYC.

For it to be more realistic Maho and Ryouskie should speak stilted Japanese and fluent English, not the other way around.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
ac_dropout wrote:

If you grew up in the U.S. your english isn't that bad, trust me. I guess people just assume that because you're asian you probably speak engrish.
They sound like they just arrive in the U.S. and have to force a lot of words out. I guess the actor did the best they could, and the singing wasn't bad. The english wasn't that bad, and a lot of the lyric didn't make sense.

Wouldn't they have trouble with Beck, a real rock group, they might have to change the name.

Last edited by darkhunter on Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
People in Japan won't notice the difference. But could you imagine what mainstream USA will think when they switch over to the Japanese audio track on their DVD. WTF Maho and Ryouskie sound like FOB's instead of people that grew up in NYC.

For it to be more realistic Maho and Ryouskie should speak stilted Japanese and fluent English, not the other way around.

Well while the English spoken by Ryuusuke and Maho wasn't anywhere near fluent, it was probably easier to get Japanese voice actors who could speak English because there probably aren't too many English voice actors that are as fluent in Japanese.

All in all, I don't mind it since the story is suppose to be from a more Japanese perspective anyway. Aren't the Japanese somewhat easily impressed by English culture or language anyway? The Engrish to us was probably cool to them since most of them can't speak even close to that.

At any rate, I still find the show to be very entertaining and innovative for what they tried to do with the intercultural theme.

darkhunter wrote:
Wouldn't they have trouble with Beck, a real rock group, they might have to change the name.

They could probably change the name to "Mongolian Chop Sqaud" like they did to BECK's U.S. album name in the anime.

I already knew about the U.S. band, Beck. So it didn't surprise me when I learned that they changed the name in the anime itself.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
What a coincident, Beck's newest album is currently #1 on the rock chart.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Tony K, I loved this show. The characters, the story, the music... everything was awesome.
I do, however, disagree with Ashton about the ending. Sure it could have ended right after spoiler[Greatfull Sound, when Koyuki kissed Maho], but I liked the actual ending. spoiler[The band completely falling apart, but Koyuki being the catalyst to bring everybody back together. The American tour, Slip Out in the background, and Koyuki's first meeting with Ryuusuke replaying - Thank you for saving BECK.] It left me much more satisfied than many of the other shows I've completed recently.
This show ranks very highly on my list of favorites. I too gave it a masterpice ranking. I haven't read the manga, but seen a few chapters... I don't like the art for Koyuki as much as in the Anime. I'll deffinately be buying it in July, though. If anybody brings over the DVD... I don't care if it's 4kids... I'm buying it!
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
just started watching today. god i love the intro to this show. who does the english voices exactly? they can't possibly be real americans.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
who does the english voices exactly? they can't possibly be real americans.

The voices for the Japanese characters speak English or the American characters? I'm pretty sure the people that do Ryuusuke, Maho, and Koyuki's vocals are Japanese. Not sure about the fluent English speakers, though.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
wow, is that really "The Pillows" playing themsleves in this anime? cause if so that's pretty cool.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, is that really "The Pillows" playing themsleves in this anime? cause if so that's pretty cool.

Jeez, you got pretty far in the last 2 days Shocked. Yeah, that's them. If you look in the credits of the episode, you'll notice that it has their name written in English next to the songs they played. I was really excited when I first heard them playing "Advice."
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Jeez, you got pretty far in the last 2 days

lots of time on my hands Smile

anyways, i really liked this series, and would highly recommend it. for being based on a manga, it wraps up well.
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Well finally I got some time and sat down to BECK.
And all this time I was sure my Top Ten Anime list is all set and I wont need to update it for many years.. And them BUM, I am seeing BECK, all 26 episodes in one day, and I just cant get enough of it. To me, BECK is a work of pure genius. Maybe I am a little bit biased because I was not getting alot of good titles lately, but during the whole series I guess I only had like 2 r 3 things to complain about, which for me is a very rare occasion. I really enjoyed the strange animation style and chara design. IT was fresh and perpetuated this "eazy" style that was noted throughout the series. I really liked the voice actors, I think they did a great job with the english dialouges (well, maybe except the Americans, the still sounded a little stiff). The story - brilliant. And of course the best part - the music. I have been like semi interested in japanese punk so it felt nice seeing the begginer rock scene from the inside. The best songs there were the opening of course, first time that I watched the opening so often. Second one was "My world`s comin down" by DyBre and of course that song that starts with "Full moon sways". I am seriously thinking about getting the OST from Japan.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I saw the show a while back and I really liked it, but I had one major problem with it. spoiler[Koyuki was supposed to have this kick-ass voice that turns peoples heads, but the voice-actor who played him could not carry a tune. It was far too nasal for my tastes. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10