• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Tournament Proposals - Results!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
excaliber736

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess you could go with Most important tool/accessory (there must be a better way to say that). Which adds other magical items and tools into the mix-- magical amulets, Death Note,, Alchemist's Watch, etc.

Good point, I like that idea even better Very Happy
It would be cool to look at all of the aspects of equipment that are essential to the plot of the anime and I see the potential for some good discussion there.

Maybe a better title would be Most Useful Impedimenta, as that would allow us to cover all the bases with one word. Unless anyone finds that overly cumbersome.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
Time to vote, people.

As I see it, there are three viable options right now:

Coolest Character - This is for characters who do whatever they do best with style and/or class. They are characters that other characters respect, admire, want to emulate, and/or want to hang out with. They could be suave ladies' men, bad-ass action figures, dashing heroes, or the laid-back guy who always has his act together and isn't fazed by anything. To assure that the category wouldn't be dominated by Bad-Ass characters, the field would be broken into Bad-Ass and non-Bad-Ass Groups.

Best Mentor - This is for characters who are teachers, trainers, and/or advisers for other characters. They rarely do the action themselves but are responsible for making the main characters into what they are.

Best Adversaries - This is for individuals and/or groups which actively oppose each other for some interest, whether it's the safety and freedom of the world or the love of another character. The dynamic between the two sides, the extent to which the conflict is a two-sided affair, and the dramatic or comic effectiveness of the conflict would be key evaluating factors.

Again, I think the latter option would be best-served waiting for next time (so we can keep our pattern of two individual tournaments for every group tournament), but if people want to vote that one in, I'll roll with it.

Voting Rules
1. Any registered forumite who isn't banned may vote.
2. Choose a top pick and a second pick from the list above. Top pick scores 4 points, second pick scores 2. Alternatively, you may pick two options equally for 3 points each or make a "don't care" vote, which gives each option 2 points.
3. There will be no negative voting this time.
4. Do register your vote even if you don't care which we do, as this is also a gauge of current interest level for the tournament.
5. Voting will continue until 11:59 p.m. Friday EST (GMT-5, I think?) or until we have gone 24 hours without a new vote, whichever comes first. The next step - choosing characters for the tournament - will start sometime the following day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahumut75

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Coolest Character: 3 points

Best Mentor: 3 points

Best Adversaries: 0 points

While I'll certainly participate in whatever wins, I think Coolest Character and Best Mentor strike me as the most fun right now. I'm teetering on the edge of favoring Best Mentor, but I'll split the points since I can't make up my mind Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
I only have one question about the splitting Coolest into badass and non-badass: are we going to allow three characters per franchise as before or should we go for less, lest a few series dominate either given side?

As for voting: don't care, they all sound equally interesting to me.
excaliber736

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
Best Mentor 3 points.

Best Adversaries 3 points

I am not thrilled with coolest character as I find it too subjective (everyone has a different idea of what defines 'cool'), and I think there would be little critical evaluation beyond 'my guy is totaaly cooler den yurs.'

Therefore, I am giving my points to best mentor and best adversaries. Not too choosy about which one of these wins.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Best Mentor is my favourite option, I was going to give it my primary vote, but on further reflection I will not. It is not me being fickle, it is me thinking things through. We just had Best Supporting Character. Too much overlap, and too soon. Most of the characters in the last tournament were not mentors, but a few of them were. Maybe in one or two tournaments down the track this tournament's time will come, but I would feel slightly uncomfortable if it were held now.

Coolest Character is just too subjective for my tastes, and does not really excite me. Even the non-badarse characters do not appeal. And what exactly will be the focus of discussion? Still, it is different from what we have done recently, and ANN has already hosted a similar tournament in the form of Most Moe.

Best Adversaries is a pretty solid option. I don't feel as strongly on this one as with the other two, but I don't have the issues with it that I have with the other two.

I give my primary vote (4) to Best Adversaries, and my secondary vote (2) to Best Mentor.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
I think that I just might give this a try.....

Best Mentor: 4 points
Coolest Character: 2 points
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
Best Adversaries: 4 points
Coolest Character: 2 points
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Coolest Characters - 4
Best Adversaries - 2

(as i said before, I definitely think Best Mentors is a good category... for later)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Like I said in the original discussion:

Coolest Character: 4 Points
Best Adversaries: 2 Points
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Hm... just for interest's sake, let's go with:

Best Adversaries - primary vote
Coolest Character -: secondary vote

I urge the organisers to agree on and define the terms (with good and bad examples). Maybe also confine the tournament to a smaller group of characters, since I felt there were far too many contestants in the previous one that sort of... filled the space before the real heavy-hitters came in.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
4 points to Coolest and 2 points to Mentor.

Let's see if this time Guts favouritism surpasses the unsurpassed Gits favouritism. Oh Gits, I'm so voting against all your characters.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Let's see if this time Guts favouritism surpasses the unsurpassed Gits favouritism. Oh Gits, I'm so voting against all your characters.

Oh, I hardly think it's a given that a GitS rep would be one of the top contenders. There will be a lot of other entrants just as strong or stronger.

For my vote, I think Best Mentor is by far the weakest option of these three (I foresee it being an awfully shallow field and just don't find it to be an interesting topic), and I don't see that it would be any less subjective than CC would be. Coolest Character for 4, Best Adversaries for 2.

As for limiting series to two entrants: that point is already under consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Time to vote, people.

Coolest Character - 4 points

Best Mentor - No, thank you. BSC just concluded and I see them as identical, not similar. Most characters in BSC would easily be applicable in this category.

Best Adversaries - 2 points

Voted.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Coolest Character 4 points.
Adversaries 2 points.
Mentor 6 month subscription to Good Parenting Magazine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4