• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Teen Arrested After Doodling 'Weapons' in Notebook

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Is... is this a joke article?
KradvonWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
-face palms-

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a case of paranoia gone so far it's stupidity. So he doodles weapons in a notebook, we all have. SO he takes things apart and puts them back together. Who hasn't done that? So his home had chemicals that could go boom if mixed a certain way: ALL homes have chemicals like that. It's just a bloody witch hunt due to a fear caused by Connecticut. First sex was blamed by the media, then rock n roll, then books, then video games, and now drawings and a curiosity in how things work are to blame for massacres. When does the stupidity end? When they realize that there really was something wrong with the killers' minds, not anything they had around.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Is... is this a joke article?

Everybody wish this was, even I thought it was a joke article, it's not. This is what happen when the worsest, deadliest massacre happen, this overreaction happened and now people can't tell which is threatening and non-threatening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
[expletive] profiling bullshit.

He probably just likes cool-looking weapons.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
I know that it's been not too long since the tragedy in Connecticut but come on, this is rather ridiculous! Arresting a kid just because he's drawing weapons in his notebook? Who hasn't done that and just because he draws weapons doesn't mean he's intended to plan a massacre.

As for the deconstruction and reconstruction thing and the chemicals found at his home, that's just paranoia talking and really doesn't really mean anything unless if the kid does plan something sinister, it's all baseless assumption.

Once when the kid's parents bail their kid out, they should sue the government for this ridiculous accusation.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
I drew some figures to pass the time on my break at work and got called into a meeting.

I used to draw stuff in my spare time all the time while at school.

I knew folks who drew shadowrun stuff folks with guns and orks with axes whats the world fallen into?

free speech is a thing of the past next will be freedom of thought as well.
ScrambleBuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
There goes the possibility of a bright, young, next generation of an Engineer student down the black hole.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
I know that it's been not too long since the tragedy in Connecticut but come on, this is rather ridiculous! Arresting a kid just because he's drawing weapons in his notebook? Who hasn't done that and just because he draws weapons doesn't mean he's intended to plan a massacre.

As for the deconstruction and reconstruction thing and the chemicals found at his home, that's just paranoia talking and really doesn't really mean anything unless if the kid does plan something sinister, it's all baseless assumption.

Once when the kid's parents bail their kid out, they should sue the government for this ridiculous accusation.

Yeah thing just went too far, As I said people can't tell which is threatening and which is not. Oh great, I hope it doesn't end up with a police officer or security guard somehow let a guy with a pistol through security checkpoint lazily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Paranoid much NJ? Bloody'ell. Rolling Eyes

I happen to be from NJ who is also a member of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Kohii wrote:
Paranoid much NJ? Bloody'ell. Rolling Eyes

I happen to be from NJ who is also a member of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
That was fired at your educational and law authority, not the total State population which I'm sure has much much more on their minds at present still dealing with, and rebuilding from the Sandy disaster. No offence meant. Happy New Year. Still, this reminds me of the witch hunt and paranoia that raised up after "Death Note" where a boy was done for writing peoples names in his note book in a similar way, remember that? This kind of thing will happen again and again in the US until your congress finally braves up and ignores the powerful gun lobbyists, then grabs the stinging nettle and restricts gun ownership more robustly.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Still, this reminds me of the witch hunt and paranoia that raised up after "Death Note" where a boy was done for writing peoples names in his note book in a similar way, remember that?

I do remember reading about the paranoia of US students writing names in their "Death Note" replicas on Wikipedia.
I mentioned it before on this forum.
Here's the link to it again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note#Copycat_crimes_and_imitations
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
BTW, What's with the "Kohii"? Wink
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Sorry about that. I forgot to erase "Kohii" when I replied back on your comment.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Sorry about that. I forgot to erase "Kohii" when I replied back on your comment.
No worries mate. BTW "kohii" is romanji for コーヒー, which is Japanese for "coffee". Can also mean "tiger fur". Laughing
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
And so it begins I guess. The annual witchhunt after a national tragedy stemming from mass paranoia and ignorance.

I could not count how many boys draw weapons during classes. Considering the fact that every average household has enough common-use chemicals in kitchen and in medicine chests/first-aid kits to build a bomb from it, police has a lot of arrests to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6