• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
first manga...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
Mine was Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, old Viz version. Or Akira, back when Epic did their colorized version. Speaking of which (both of them), I have to say I rather prefered it when they translated the sounds like they used to. But to each their own, I suppose.
Kiaelf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
I just recently started reading Manga and I'm working my way through Rurouni Kenshin. I'm up through book 4 now and have 5 and 6 still to read. Just also recently bought the first Orphen manga and also a Warcraft book called The Sunwell Trilogy: Dragon Hunt. Also I'm doubting it's true manga as it's read as a regular american book is read and not "back to front" like the true manga titles, however the artwork is very impressive.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
Kiaelf wrote:
Just also recently bought the first Orphen manga and also a Warcraft book called The Sunwell Trilogy: Dragon Hunt. Also I'm doubting it's true manga as it's read as a regular american book is read and not "back to front" like the true manga titles, however the artwork is very impressive.

That's a "manwha." It's Korean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was a used copy of one of the Tenchi Muyo mangas (this was back in '01) that I paid about 5$ for. However, I ended up not caring for it and not buying any more.

The first manga that I followed was Chobits, which is the one that gave me the manga "bug".
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I read some old Viz comics and Epic's Akira issues almost ten years ago. I loved reading them, but unfortunatally at that age I had no means of buying comics (they belonged to a friend's older brother). Years later I was introduced to Blade of the Immortal, and my interest took off from there.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The first manga I read was an old edition of Inu-yasha, and the first manga I collected was Zoids: Chaotic Century. I've since finished Zoids (and continue to be a fan of it). I also still collect Inu-yasha. Since then, my interests have changed somewhat, but I am still primarily the shonen fan that I was then.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop - the boxset version
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Kiaelf wrote:
Just also recently bought the first Orphen manga and also a Warcraft book called The Sunwell Trilogy: Dragon Hunt. Also I'm doubting it's true manga as it's read as a regular american book is read and not "back to front" like the true manga titles, however the artwork is very impressive.

That's a "manwha." It's Korean.

Technically, an ameri-manhwa since it's written by an American.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ai Yori Aoshi. And it still holds "THE" place in my heart. No matter what other titles might be a temporary favorite. I don't even know why I picked it up; most likely the look of Aoi on the cover didn't hurt Shocked ..... I didn't even know about manga at that point in time. Anime, yes, manga, no. It was interesting. And after spending several minutes totally confused by the flipped right to left format I finally figured out how to follow it Confused : OK, so I completely overlooked the "how-to-read-a-manga" part at the back (what I thought was the front) of the book Embarassed
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
My first "manga" was actually a Magic Knight Rayearth artbook. Then, I bought MKR Vol. 4 before Vol. 1 by accident. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Then, I bought MKR Vol. 4 before Vol. 1 by accident. Embarassed
Heh, I nearly did that with a few of my first titles. At that point in time, I wasn't used to a book having so many volumes.
ZeroFrame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Battle Angel Alita, also known as GUNNM.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Then, I bought MKR Vol. 4 before Vol. 1 by accident. Embarassed
Heh, I nearly did that with a few of my first titles. At that point in time, I wasn't used to a book having so many volumes.

When I first wanted to get Chobits, my parents got me Vol. 2 first. I don't know why, but I usually end up getting Vol. 2 of a lot of things first: Angelic Layer, Tsubasa, and the .hack//Legend of the Twilight anime. (I thought the .hack Vol. 2 was Vol. 1...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
Began my collection with Kazuhisa Kondo's manga iteration of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079. A pretty good Vaz release from 2000 of which I wish I owned more than Volume 1.

Another early manga acquisition of mine is a Volume 1, first print, copy of Initial D from before the edict came down to include the "nicknames" and edits. Ohh, what could have been. :(
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
The first manga I read was Inu- Yasha. After a while though it didn't interest me anymore and now it sits on my shelf where I might start buying it again. *sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7