• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Greatest Censorship Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
configspace wrote:
In fact, it seems less of a problem with original western content--see Alan Moore, despite getting into "trouble" at schools and libraries as highlighted by CBLDF from time to time. They are a much more resilient to criticism than Viz or Japanese controlled companies who paranoid about reputation, saving face and wrong ideas about sales.

Frankly, I agree. Actually, I think these kinds of fears are usually on the Japanese licensor side, as much as (or more than) American publisher side.

Of course it varies from artist to artist, but the fact that the author of Saint Young Men doesn't want her work to be published in English, because she's worried about offending Christians, is just ridiculous. All she would have to do is watch a single episode of South Park or Family Guy and she'd realize that Americans are much more savage towards Christianity than her manga ever is. Of course it's her own decision, but c'mon.

Maybe it's like how some people believe N-word are the only ones who should make N-word jokes, or how only Jews or Muslims who should make Jews or Muslim parodies. Like, it's OK for those in the inside to do it, but outsiders are not supposed to, because somehow insiders have "credibility" about the subject but which outsiders do not.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
touma wrote:
There are also a lot of people who are not even aware of the editing.
I think that a significant percentage of the customers just buy and read manga without participating in forums, such as this, or any other activities where they would be likely to hear about the editing.
All that they know is what they see printed in the book.

And then there are those who do know about the editing but do not care, even if the story does not remain intact. I am one of those.
I would generally prefer to have unedited books, but I am not going to refuse to buy something that I would like simply because it is edited. All that I care about is how much I enjoy the book that I get to read. How much that book is edited is not really a factor in my buying decision.

That's up to you. However, a mindset like that really shouldn't be the norm. We don't want publishers to get a permanent message from readers saying "We have no problem with edits as long as the story remains intact." It's a copout and a pretty frustrating one at that.
trandraskell wrote:
This has to do with a corporations making choice based on the comic code that exist in the USA.

The Comic Code Authority is nothing but a joke.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
The Comics Code's been dead for over a year and the copyright for the seal belongs to the CBLDF.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was dead longer than that. Laughing
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Deadman Wonderland went through censorship manga-to-anime, and anime-to-Toonami.

Manga-to-anime: The swearing in the anime was bleeped in the Japanese TV version (possibly the DVDs too). Remember the infamous line from episode 1, "Maybe I *bleeeeep* her ugly *bleeeeep*"?

Anime-to-Toonami: Yay! FUNimation made an uncensored dub! But for some reason, Toonami doesn't feel that a TV-MA rating at 12:30 at night isn't good enough to cover their backs. They bleeped and redubbed pretty much every profane word. I also heard they edited a brief scene of nudity as well, but don't quote me on that. (FUNimation Channel luckily shows it uncensored completely.)
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I thought it was dead longer than that. Laughing

It took a long time to die but it actually had started to lose it's influence as early as the 70s when Stan Lee publically challenged the and released a Spiderman story dealing with drug addiction.

Soon after that the "direct market" took hold. Publishers could now bypass the code entirely by selling comics either through privately owned comic book stores or by mail order, rather then in more public newsstands.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
DC was using it right up until the end, when they decided to stop playing around and rate their comics. Archie pulled out the day after, since it was an entirely pointless exercise for them.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Interestingly, Dark Horse and Seven Seas don't sully the front covers with warning labels either.

IIRC Dark Horse prefers to give detailed information in its order solicitations/catalogs, so that retailers can make their own decisions, rather than placing sales-killing labels on its comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9