• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Editorial: How Bill 156 Got Passed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I guess we'll be relying on fans and companies in Japan to fight this...

Is there nothing we foreign fans can do to help? Even if it's just fighting with our wallets...?

Even I'm wondering about that too. Already have all the so called questionable series and such.

Though I'm staring to wonder is there anything that fans here in the US can do?

michaeltanzer wrote:
O.M.G. They can't take the late night portion of portion of anime from television in Tokyo. That's not fair!!!! Sad

I could not agree with you more. Was considering moving there for that reason. Unfortunately thanks to this stupid *** bill , I'm not wasting my money relocating if it's going to act like as worse as the FCC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. Hopefully this means utter garbage like gantz will never see the light of day again.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
And maybe "utter garbage" like Bleach will cease to exist. I'm fairly certain there's some parts of that show Gov. Ishihara would disapprove of, as well.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the informative article.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel "utter garbage" would more accurately describe the words of people desperately going for the edginess of a cynic ten years their senior, yet lack the ability to outclass someone ten years their junior. It must be a trying duality.
Momoko_Kuzuryuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Excellent. Hopefully this means utter garbage like gantz will never see the light of day again.

Take a chill pill, dude. You do realize this bill puts ALL anime/manga in the same bucket, right? I mean, this guy could take away the innocent Azumanga Daioh because of Sakaki's breasts and how much the other girls talk about them.

So yeah, an anime you clearly hate will be taken away, but so will anime you like too.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

now this is what im really getting sick of seeing when talking about this bill like if this bill is past anime's like Queens Blade or KissxKiss or any other Ecchi or fanservice anime will go away and just have the "good anime" on instead and are actuality glad this bill was pass and think that the anime fans and the industry should be blame for going "to far"

now don't get me wrong after reading this the anime industry should be to blame but not for going to far or taking risk and really I think everyone that is a fan of anime should be against this bill because if you really think this bill is going to make anime and manga better then I think you'll be be sadly mistaken
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
I remember when Ranma's bare breasts were on primetime J-TV.........

Did fandom even notice that disappearance? Nothing's really changed.......
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
Either certain content is bad enough to warrant government regulation - and if it is, it is bad enough to be so regardless of the media in which it is presented - or it's not bad enough to warrant govt. regulation, and in that case why is this bill even being pushed along?

The degree to which this worries me is equal to the degree to which the bill will have an impact — a consequence you seem not to deem probable. It is right to interpret this bill as an indication of mainstream Japanese dislike for the anime and manga industries, though this comes not as much of a surprise.
Quote:
The best I can hope for is this bill being a feint - basically, a trophy win Tokyo's politicians can take home, put on their fridge, and point out, "See? We did something in legislature today mom!" If they only do some token enforcement and don't press the issue much, they win, and the publishing industry remains largely unaffected.

Your interpretation is somewhat comforting, not least because it equates the bill with a shallow and barely consequential political display. If we presume that an indifferent attitude will be adopted by the ruling party now that their "victory" has been secured, the self-regulatory state of the affected industry should indeed allow for business to be largely unaffected, as you have mentioned. To actively police hitherto-unrestricted content, of course, would presumably be restricted by budget constraints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Gentry wrote:
Couldn't you condense the article down to about 2 paragraphs please. It's a bit too long for my taste and only managed 3 lines or so before flicking to another page. Thanks.

*falls off my chair laughing*

Thanks, I needed that.

Heheh, that's what you'd get from a generation raised on manga with minimal text per page. Laughing
The future looks bright. I smell a new bill abolishing manga as it's proving detrimental to childrens ability to communicate in a literal, rational, and coherent manner, after they pass the bill that outlaws text messaging. Hows this?
Quote:
How Bill 156 Got Passed: Bunch of political wankers passed it cause they hate you.
Condensed enough? Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
How Bill 156 Got Passed: Bunch of political wankers passed it cause they hate you.
Condensed enough? Laughing

Couldn't you condense this line down to about 2 words please. It's a bit too long for my taste and only managed 3 syllables or so before flicking to another page. Thanks.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Are you nuts. Gantz is anything but garage. What their doing right now with this bill is garbage.

Mr Big200 wrote:

now this is what im really getting sick of seeing when talking about this bill like if this bill is past anime's like Queens Blade or KissxKiss or any other Ecchi or fanservice anime will go away and just have the "good anime" on instead and are actuality glad this bill was pass and think that the anime fans and the industry should be blame for going "to far"

now don't get me wrong after reading this the anime industry should be to blame but not for going to far or taking risk and really I think everyone that is a fan of anime should be against this bill because if you really think this bill is going to make anime and manga better then I think you'll be be sadly mistaken

Unfortunately that may be the case if those fear mongers get their way. In the 90'sI've been exposed to a lot of violent video games and very very questionable series like mad bull 34 and especially the La Blue Girl Series, and does that want me to mimic them? NO!

Did it influence me in a bad way. HECK NO!! Unless you count me becoming an otaku.

It's only harmless entertainment guys and unfortunately those politicans on both countries don't understand nor I think they really give a crap. It's regulate,regulate,regulate when it comes to them.

This is why I'll NEVER EVER become a politician.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

It's only harmless entertainment guys and unfortunately those politicans on both countries don't understand nor I think they really give a crap. It's regulate,regulate,regulate when it comes to them.

This is why I'll NEVER EVER become a politician.

Perhaps, if people who feel as strongly as you did become politicians, things would look different. Emphasis on if and did.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
@jr0904: Who says the politicians actually believe in any of this nonsense? Calling out politicians on bullshitting is kind of like asking a dung beetle not to collect turds. It's just how they roll. It's the culture that has to change; once people stop responding to the pandering, there will be no value in stoking a moral panic and they'll move on to something else.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
Since I'm not familiar with the inner working of Japanese government, politics, the legal system, etc, would anyone happen to know if there is a similar system in place to get the bill challenged in court and found unconstitutional or whatever the equivalent would be?
In the US, bills like this can be challenged, like how the recent California video game bill went to the supreme court. Is there something similar that could be done in Japan?

Edit: Since I haven't seen anyone mention something like this, I presume that there isn't, but I thought I'd ask since I don't recall seeing a straight answer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4