• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Out With The Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
On the topic of those Robotech toys; they would be collecters items now worth a few hundred (insert local currency here) if they were in good shape and in their original boxes.

Sadly, the dolls my sister and I got were taken out of their boxes when we got them. They're still in pretty good shape, though. But I think my sister has them all now; we worked on splitting up our dolls and action figures a number of years ago, and I do believe we ended up agreeing on her getting all the Robotech ones.

Sadly, the Pink Lady dolls we got when my family lived in Japan (back when I was really little in the mid-to-late 1970's) have seen much, much better days. Sad My sister also has a Licca-chan doll from the 1970's (created by shojo manga artist Miyako Maki, who is the wife of Leiji Matsumoto), as well as a grocery store Licca-chan playset. Poor Licca-chan has also seen much better days. The accessories for that Licca-chan playset were rather ornate, and the cash register was pretty cool (too bad we broke it Razz).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
... But it would be nice if they did say when a series is canceled.
Thing is, sometimes there is not a definite decision to cancel a series. Rather, its placed on haitus until/unless and until/unless never happens.

For manga, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel with Print on Demand offering an escape from haitus hell ... a publisher could put a series on haitus "unless/until", and if unless/until does not happen within six months, start releasing it at a sedate pace on PoD.

Heck, if someone got really creative, they could post the number of sales they need to make back their set-up costs and so get started on the next volume: they could make it like a fund-raising telethon "progress to our goal" display.

True, but then a company could let us know that it is on hiatus. Not knowing is (almost) the worst part.

I like the idea with printing on demand and the counter for sales. There's always the digital option as well if it cost too much to print a series. Though I'd much rather have it printed personally.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
My wife picked up the Matchbox Robotech dolls on clearance sale a number of years back. She wanted them to go with her Barbie doll collection. At the time she intended to set up dioramas and wanted Rick Hunter as a substitute for Ken.

At the time we had no idea of the background, just that the box art looked cartooney. It wasn't until several years later, when I got into anime, that we found out the story behind them. Matchbox put out clothing sets for them also.

We still have two full sets of dolls and 4 or 5 clothing sets as well. I think we still have the boxes for the out of box set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4