• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Survey: What Was Your Favorite Fall Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Where's Legend of the Legendary Heroes?

And this survey made me realize how dead Fall Quarter was for me. Really, I'm starting to get worried that I'm losing interest in anime, because Winter doesn't look very good, and Spring isn't exactly exciting me, either.

I guess there are still the continuing series that I watch, but for me, there seems to be slim pickings when it comes to new shows. Sad
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I don't think my vote was counted since, according to my results, only three people voted and none of them watched Tegami Bachi which I know I voted for. Help?
There you go ~ maybe it was just people who voted for Tegami Bachi as their favorite who's vote was not counted.

I find it more likely that the results display lag behind the vote, which is why I referred to it as being lame with respect to user feedback ... having a system where the results displayed to a user lags behind the vote just cast by that user is pretty far behind the state of the art.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
agila61 wrote:
OTOH, according to the "results" after I voted, my votes weren't counted ~ giving feedback that obviously excludes your own vote seems an odd way to encourage participation.

I voted pretty early, and looking at the results, it seemed pretty clear my own vote was reflected in them immediately, at least.
When your vote for number one has zero responses, its pretty clear that your vote is not reflected in the results shown. OTOH, if your favorite did show up, it could be that a previous response was similar to yours.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Where's Legend of the Legendary Heroes?
I'm thinking this is based on anime that launched in Fall (which means voting for a number of anime mid-series), rather than anime that concluded in Fall. Personally, I would have rather have had it be anime that concluded in Fall.

Last edited by agila61 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The only series I watched entirely was Arakawa Under The Bridge season two. The reason I didn't haven't watched the current episodes of Bakuman and The World Only Kami Sama knows is because they pretty much follow the manga (NOTE: this is actually for the better and not worse, so don't think I am saying the series isn't worth watching, because Bakuman especially is a masterpiece of a series) and I've been very busy recently.

Arakawa Season two was easily the best show this season (next being Bakuman followed by The World Only Kami Sama knows) was really fun watching from episode one to the final episode. It was also one of the very few shows that had minimal to no fanservice and an actual plot that went somewhere and actually caught my interest. Hopefully a third season is made one day, as the manga is still ongoing at this time.

But yeah, Arakawa is a fantastic series and is not just your standard comedy. Much more character development and back history than I would have initially thought and the opening theme fits the series pretty well.
Mizuneko2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
I just realized I'm really getting back into the swing of watching anime (in a serious way).

Watched (more than 5 episodes): 11
Bakuman.
OreImo
Star Driver
Squid Girl
Kuragehime
Samurai Girls
Soredemo
Panty & Stoking
Togainu no Chi
Psychic Detective Yakumo
The World God Only Knows

Finished: 4
Bakuman.
Star Driver
OreImo
Kuragehime

Favorite: It was a tie between OreImo & Bakuman., but of course I could only pick one, which was Bakuman.. Honesty I kinda feel OreImo was the better of the two, but I just HAVE to see how Bakuman. plays out. It's pretty captivating IMO.

I also REALLY enjoyed Kuragehime. I usually avoid shoujo anime, but I LOVED this series. I've never read the manga, but I hope the anime continues somehow.

Finally, I thought BONES' Star Driver was the most impressive (out of the series I watched) visually.

On another note: I'm really surprised more people (according to the poll) sat through 5 episodes of Panty & Stocking than Soredemo viewers. Did anyone besides me enjoy Soredemo?

I've decided to finish watching Soredemo, Samurai Girls, Squid Girl, P&S, Psychic Detective Yakumo, & The World Only God Knows before I start watching the Winter season.

(sorry for the long annoying post! i'm just really stoked i watched so much anime (haha) and now i'm sharing my thoughts on them. i usually don't participate in forum discussions during the actually airings.)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
And this survey made me realize how dead Fall Quarter was for me. Really, I'm starting to get worried that I'm losing interest in anime, because Winter doesn't look very good, and Spring isn't exactly exciting me, either.

You're looking at it the wrong way! At least as far as I'm concerned --and I'm looking at similar scarcity over the next couple seasons-- now's the time to catch up on backlog. From 2010 alone I've got Katanagatari, Arakawa, Tatami Galaxy, Kuragehime, and Shiki (and maybe Soredemo) to watch.

Anyway, PSG was definitely the best of season for me, since I wasn't being a classy fan who watched Kuragehime. Oreimo was the runner up, followed by Squid Girl and Star Driver, all of which were pretty close together in the running. Certainly turned out to be a better Fall than I thought it would be.
unready

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Pretty sure the poll is bugged, or at least, I'm still seeing the exact same result as when I filled it out a bit ago.

I chose Kuragehime as my favorite of the season, but if Shiki was on the poll then that would have been my top choice.

Ditto.

Everything I voted for shows 0 votes. If I try to go back, I am thanked for my vote, so I can't try again. Online polls are always questionable, anyway, but this one has an extra layer of questionability.

And WHY isn't Shiki on the list? It wouldn't be my favorite, but I did actually watch the whole thing.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
Perhaps it was intended to be a closed poll until the results were announced but was left open in error until after the first three votes went through?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
People keep mentioning shiki, but shiki was Summer. As was legend of the legendary heroes.

I think a lot more people SHOULD watch Kuragehime / Jellyfish princess if they have not already. It was really a joy to watch.

Star Driver is a show that I think hits or misses. It has a lot of plays on its own genre. It has a lot of style, visually and musically. The characters themselves can be a bit flat, but because the show is so character driven, the majority of them develop quite a bit. Its only real issues are the fact that its so formulaic. Its basically a magical girl show, only with guys, and girly mecha. Following the traditional magical girl formula for each episode.

Because of that though, I think Kuragehime was the real gem of the season for me.

I did watch quite a number more though...
Panty and Stocking... so much can be said and has been said about the series. I truthfull watch it primarily for the soundtrack, which btw, is an amazing OST done by Taku Takahashi of M-flo, with lyrics for the songs written by Lisa (Former M-flo) and Emyli (works with M-flo often).

Soredemo had a great opening sequence. Squid girl had a great translation job on crunchyroll. But both are 4-koma and tend to be a bit forgettable.

Bakuman was horribly slow, nothing ever happened, every episode was basically the same, only barely building on the last.

Zakuro was... actually a pretty solid shoujo series. But... left me a little empty.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
I actually finished almost everything I started. Since the poll isn't working here's how I voted:

Watched all:
Otome Yokai Zakuro
OreImo
MM!
Star Driver (up to date)
Bakuman. (up to date)
Squid Girl
The World God Only Knows
Toaru Majutsu no Index II
Tegami Bachi Reverse
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge
Motto To Love-ru

Watched more than one episode:
Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector (only 2 eps in, I'll finish it some day)

Favorite:
Toaru Majutsu no Index II

Favorite was closely followed by TWGOK (can't wait for the sequel!), Zakuro, and Squid Girl. But no masterpieces this Fall.

Also I only got through one episode of these titles with no plans to ever finish:
Fortune Arterial (painfully generic)
Yosuga no Sora (painfully boring)
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes (painfully unfunny)

I was actually looking forward to Milky Holmes, too bad.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thallium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Mizuneko2 wrote:

Did anyone besides me enjoy Soredemo?

Yep, i wasn't sure after the first episode, but after the next few i noticed getting attached to the characters and laughing about certain situations in the show. I was even able to ignore the attacks on my eardrums by Chiaki Omigawa over the course of the series. All in all i found the show quite enjoyable.

Best show for me was probably Squid Girl, followed closely by Kuragehime.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Thallium wrote:
I was even able to ignore the attacks on my eardrums by Chiaki Omigawa over the course of the series.

I guess she appeals to different people. I think her voice is very cute and I've unintentionally watched and enjoyed everything she's been in (except for Hidamari Sketch) so I'm really looking forward to Hana-Saku Iroha.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryoyami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
Bakuman was my favorite and Yakumo wasn't half bad, that was my vote. The others lacked a lot in terms Originality and Animation. Can't say any better for the beginning of 2011, nothing special so far. Out of all the recent Anime released I only got interested in 2.

I read this in another post and made me think. Lately I'm loosing interest in Anime. It has been a long time since something entirely new both in Plot Originality or Animation surfaced. I wish we could see better plots and not more attempts at business making Anime (Beyblade Metal Fusion, Vanguard) or dumb fanservice plots.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
I didn't think of that. Index II, Bakuman, and Star Driver are still airing so I automatically didn't put a check on them.

I was torn between answering the question as what I expect they probably meant (i.e. "Have you watched all episodes to date"), and the literal meaning of the question. In the end, I answered it literally.

Simply put, that part of the poll was poorly done. The question either should have been rephrased, or the anime that had not completed airing should have been omitted.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I was torn between answering the question as what I expect they probably meant (i.e. "Have you watched all episodes to date"), and the literal meaning of the question. In the end, I answered it literally.
I took the presence of ongoing series launched in Fall and the absence of Legends, launching in Summer and concluding in Fall, to indicate that it meant the complete Fall run of series launched in Fall ... even though that left me voting as my favorite a series that could end up falling below my number two, if they have too many fillers in the second half of the series.

Quote:
Simply put, that part of the poll was poorly done. The question either should have been rephrased, or the anime that had not completed airing should have been omitted.
As I noted, I think it ought to have been series concluding in Fall, not series launching in Fall, including series that are not yet finished. They not only posed the question they were actually asking poorly, but were also posing the wrong question.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Man, looking over the list, I realized I only watched one episode from one show from Fall, and the only reason was because I was at SDCC so I saw the pilot for Iron Man. So I couldn't mark down anything. Razz

I may go back and watch Kuragehime and Squid Girl though. Those two sounded the most promising.

Winter's lineup looks much more interesting for me, with 3-4 shows I may try out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3