• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Great Unwatched

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:

My wife, the understanding non-collector between us, is concerned I will die first. Then what? Since I am chronologically 63 years old this is a valid sticking point. I've jokingly referenced the local University's audio-visual department as a likely recipient although with the current technologies of Information Storage and Dispersal prevalent in many institutions I doubt they want to be bothered by such a donation unless a decent compensatory endowment accompanied it.

Have you inquired with your local library? I would assume that they'd be willing to accept donations of your DVDs at no cost to you. That's kind of what I'm leaning towards, since it would be a bit silly to donate my collections to my friends seeing as I don't expect them to outlast me by much.
Beized

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
Oh, giant, shiny Nadia with all 10 dvds inside that I bought for super cheap on rightstuf (there were only two left!), I swear I'll get to you eventually.
N.R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

N.R.--- the 2000 date is a re-release of the Toshinden DVD. It came out in May of 1997. http://www.mania.com/battle-arena-toshinden_article_73405.html the first issue used a cardboard cases with plastic clappers, like a lot of Warners releases from around the same period had.

Thanks for clarifying that up! I stand corrected.
Stretch24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
My collection consists largely of VHS tapes since these could be gotten cheaply as DVDs took over. At first I loved anything that could be called 'anime', and would gladly watch anything new. I taped pretty much all the anime that appeared on Adult Swim, too. A quick count of my 'legit' collection shows around 685 VHS tapes or sets of DVDs. With time my standards have raised and sometimes a show doesn't seem to be good enough to be worth the time that watching it will demand. I've never gotten around to:

El-Hazard Wanderers
Dancougar
Ehrgeiz
Dominion Tank Police
Devil Lady
Godannar
Here Is Greenwood
Grrl Power!
Idol Project
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVAs
Monster Rancher
Clash of the Bionoids
and
Wedding Peach.

One set which I should have watched long ago, but haven't, is Crest of the Stars.
progSHELL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Holy hell! On a whim, I checked the prices of Aura Battler Dunbine on Amazon. Disk 1 fetches the one whole cent new. However, in order to aquire the final disks (disks 11 and 12) you need to slap down $150!!
Ronolo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I hav'nt done an official count as to how many DVD/Blu-Ray disks of anime I have. I estimate I would have 1300-1500 disks total. As how many sit in the to be watched pile with shrinkwrap still on it, I estimate 100 disks.

You may laugh at me with my Manga pile. Below is what I have as of Manga that I hav'nt read.

Marmalade Boy
Saint Tail
Inu-Yasha

I know this is a short list. There are two reasons why I hav'nt read them yet.

1) I already have the DVD's to them, so I already know the story.

2) It is in Japanese, and I cannot read Japanese yet. I bought them as a novelty thinking I would be able to read Japanese in the future.
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
This has all been a wildly fun read. I've got a pretty decent collection (no clue on an actual disk count) but, due to a moth-like predisposition to join startup companies, my backlog remains a decided majority of that collection yet I still continue to buy for many reasons.

For starters, I have a peculiar compulsion to be able to make an informed commentary on any show that's made even minor waves among fans or the press. I'm also paranoid about missing a show as I've stumbled across a few gems that, at the time, I had heard little to nothing about and, on occasion, I've even been charmed by a mediocre show that has some uncharacteristically excellent episode, story arch, character, concept, etc....all the stuff that keeps me coming back. Likewise, as many have mentioned, I fear something going out of print and it costing a fortune to acquire retroactively. Although anime has been somewhat commoditized in recent years, the resurgence of artboxes has certainly rekindled a certain facet of this obsession.

I can also identify with those who are buying in support of the industry; I too have immense admiration for the creative teams that power this medium. Even if anime doesn't twist my noodle as frequently as it once did, the fact that it still has that potential will always be a motivating factor. This includes buying mediocre or so-so titles, if only as minimal damage control, for those titles that try to tread new ground. It pains me to think that a studio's very existence might be threatened by taking such a creative risk on a title that may simply not have been well-received as compared to simply playing it safe with another cookie-cutter title as is so often the case.

And so far, for the time being anyway, the physical medium offers a superior experience. I have a pretty good home theater setup and watching over-compressed streamed content (even HD streams) on a 60" screen just doesn't cut it (yeah, there's some high resolution illegal stuff out there but that's never been my thing). The same goes for audio and I still usually have my choice of subs or dubs and, often, commentary tracks and extras.

It's clearly only a matter of time before streamed content catches up (BR will keep the game alive longer) but, even still, I don't want to be at the mercy of licensing. Besides, there's something immensely intoxicating about walking into a room full of shelves and have at your fingertips a huge variety of shows to choose from that, even if I don't watch them now, will still be ready for me to pluck from the shelf when I find myself in the mood for whatever peculiar blend of traits it has to offer.

Lastly, I cannot fairly ignore raw, unadulterated compulsion. I do truly want a largely comprehensive collection and I'm always working towards cherry picking older far as well. I know I'm not likely find every title out there nor am I willing to pay the extreme prices that some are commanding but I have been tenacious enough to fill in some of the more critical gaps among the more classically popular fare.

A note to would-be collectors who find themselves with similar compulsions: always try to buy your items used. There are few things more cruel than being in a perennial deadlock with media you own knowing that peeling away that .001" layer of cellophane that lies between you and its contents will cost you many tens of dollars if not much, much more. Such is my fate with Aura Battler Dunbine 11 and 12 and the first Urusei Yatsura boxed set.

This has been a really enlightening article (and subsequent discussion). There are far more collectors that I can identify with that I had ever imagined. So "cheers!" my fellow anime collectors. May more media find its way to your doorstep!
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
progSHELL wrote:
Holy hell! On a whim, I checked the prices of Aura Battler Dunbine on Amazon. Disk 1 fetches the one whole cent new. However, in order to aquire the final disks (disks 11 and 12) you need to slap down $150!!

Ahhh Aura Battler Dunbine the bane of every collector's existance....
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
jared_thorin wrote:
progSHELL wrote:

Ahhh Aura Battler Dunbine the bane of every collector's existance....

It really is a shame it never got reissued in boxsets, as the ending's pretty spectacular as Tomino shows go. *evilly waves to his 11+12 Smile*
staab99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
The only shows that I have that I have not seen are Clannad and Clannad after story. I recently just finish Count of Monti Cristo and Elfen Lied. I tend to buy things I have already seen and can rewatch over and over again. There are a few shows that I have downloaded but haven't gotten around too watching.
Nightmare7even

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Great article. While my anime collection pales in comparison to that of many people on this forum and others elsewhere, I can certainly empathize with the lot of you when it comes to having stacks of unwatched Dvd's. I probably have around 250-300 or so anime Dvd's between boxes sets and single releases out of which I have around 75 unwatched & unopened discs' and the reasons are pretty much the same as others have stated. My entire DVD collection consists mainly of anime and is the main reason I even have a DVD player.(I'm not a fan movies as I can't stand most of the crap Hollywood churns out). I remember one particular case several years ago in which I bought boxed sets of Noir & Rahxephon at a local Best Buy after reading postive reviews about them, well they ended up sitting a good 6-7 months on my shelf before I got around to watching them. Between my video game and car hobbies I find it difficult to find the time to watch my unwatched anime Dvd's much less amass 1000-4000 Dvd's(some of you guys are a bit crazy Rolling Eyes but i'll give you credit for dedication). Alot of folks seem to complain about the high price of Ah My Godess Season 2 Vol. 5, it sure makes me feel good to know I was able to get the entire series Vol.5 included and with the collecters artboxes as well awhile back at great prices Very Happy Now if I could only find Ah My Godess Season 1 Premium boxset at a reasonble price Sad
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote
Aah, such a timely topic. Lately I too find myself staring at my anime shelves and seeing more & more titles I've never watched. Among these are things I've bought because I heard others recommend (Baccano!!, Big Wind-Up, Cromartie High School, Phoenix, Giant Robo, Millenium Actress, Megazone 23 part 1); some I've heard were... not great, but I wanted them anyway (Glass Fleet, Trinity Blood); some I just couldn't bear to watch (Samurai X OVAs; I read spoilers and was so spoiler[depressed thinking about watching Kenshin die] that I couldn't even start); and a few just because I found them cheap and they looked interesting (Dai-Guard, Sky Crawlers).

It's funny that Mike mentioned Aura Battler Dunbine actually because that too is on my shelf, under that last category of "too cheap to pass up." I found both 6-disc ADV sets in my local used DVD shop for $16 per boxset and someone in the forums here said basically, "Uh, you should really buy that," so I did. $32 + tax for the whole 12 disc series, not bad, right? Laughing I have yet to watch it, but someday, someday...

The most difficult to explain are the series I never quite finished (later volumes of Kyo Kara Maoh! & Otogi Zoshi, and the very last discs of both Samurai Champloo and Yukikaze-- actually, friends and I tried watching the latter when it came out but were too drunk at the time to follow it and gave up). Once I'm "out of the moment" on a series, it's really hard for me to get back in I guess.

There are also a number of DVDs I've bought because I watched the fansubs but never actually watched the DVDs themselves (Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi [Ghost Slayers Ayashi], Black Blood Brothers, Cyber City Oedo OVA, Demon City Shinjuku OVA, Embracing Love - a Cicada in Winter OVA, Gakuen Heaven, Gankutsuou, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Hetalia, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Junjou Romantica, Kizuna OVAs, Kuroshitsuji [Black Butler], L/R, Loveless, Pumpkin Scissors, Sukisho!!).

Despite this, I have plans to buy more. Maybe it's some really niche hoarding compulsion? It's weird because I definitely don't do this with manga at all-- that's always read within days of receipt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
It's funny that Mike mentioned Aura Battler Dunbine actually because that too is on my shelf, under that last category of "too cheap to pass up." I found both 6-disc ADV sets in my local used DVD shop for $16 per boxset and someone in the forums here said basically, "Uh, you should really buy that," so I did. $32 + tax for the whole 12 disc series, not bad, right? Laughing I have yet to watch it, but someday, someday...

Sorry to say this, but you more than likely bought a bootleg for Dunbine. ADV never released boxsets for Dunbine, though it was one of the most-requested collections fans wanted from the company. Not to mention that, as said in the article, the last two volumes are infamously expensive to buy.

Considering the price you paid, not to mention that they were boxsets, you more than likely bought bootlegs rips of ADV's release. And bootlegs don't help anyone but the bootleggers.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Sorry to say this, but you more than likely bought a bootleg for Dunbine. ADV never released boxsets for Dunbine, though it was one of the most-requested collections fans wanted from the company. Not to mention that, as said in the article, the last two volumes are infamously expensive to buy.

Considering the price you paid, not to mention that they were boxsets, you more than likely bought bootlegs rips of ADV's release. And bootlegs don't help anyone but the bootleggers.

ADV released boxes with volume 1 and 7 which, judging from what poonk wrote, somebody sold them full to the shop. She also mentioned that she has 12 discs. I've yet to hear of a bootleg that contains as much discs as the legit release. If it was a bootleg it probably would have been on 6 discs in one box, not the 12 in 2 that poonk mentioned.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Well, I know what bootlegs look like and they're not bootlegs. Unless bootleggers would go through the trouble of making nice ADV chipboard boxes, 6 standard cases (not thinpaks) wide each. I'm pretty sure it was just a case where the resale shop just didn't know what it had in its hands. I'd say they probably looked up the UPCs on the boxes-- which would be for the single + (mostly empty) box, originally-- and priced the whole set accordingly, not realizing the difference. That sometimes happens to some lucky folks who buy from used DVD sites-- they order v01 + box and end up getting the whole series. So it was really just dumb luck, especially considering that particular place usually overcharges for used anime (I often find used boxsets priced higher than I could buy them new on RightStuf, so I have learned to price check before buying).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8