• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The World God Only Knows Episodes 1-12 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Omigosh, this show sounds SO right up my alley... I hope it gets licensed soon!

Maybe it should be mentioned in a review that you got it off Crunchyroll so that morally inclined people won't think they have to wait for a license o,o

Meh.

Personally I found the bugged game episode the most fun (lol @ the volleyball mini game) and practically skipped through most of Kanon's arc. So while I can get where carlos is coming from, imo he's underrating the filler.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
It's even available, to some degree, overseas. (Not sure how many countries Crunchyroll really stream to, but I figured out some time ago that I get about... 60% or so of everything Crunchyroll streams in Norway.)
MegaDork007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that the anime follows the manga closely. Judging by the amount of chapters Season 1 covered, the anime should cover a few very important plot points and spoiler[end a few arcs behind the current one.] Awesome material, and it's definitely one of my all-time favorites.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I went in expecting it to lambaste the otaku's ideals and how different 'reality' is from video games.

Instead I got a show depicting "reality" as if it were a video game.

Needless to say I dropped it. Just not for me.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I went in expecting it to lambaste the otaku's ideals and how different 'reality' is from video games.

That would have been a far superior show, one that destroys and utterly mocks the romance novel for the exploitative piece of trash built for lonely people that it is, not celebrates them as having any useful function in modern society.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Rather than get into the show itself (I enjoyed it about as much as Carlo), I just wanted to point out that, IMO, TWGOK had the best OP theme of 2010. The part used to intro the show is just a small sample of the full 8+ minute song that was sampled in parts for the last two episodes. It has a great flow listened to all at once.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Omigosh, this show sounds SO right up my alley... I hope it gets licensed soon!

Go watch it now on Crunchyroll! It is there for all to see, free!

As for the review, very well done! I agree wholeheartedly, though I might have given it the A- to A range instead of B to B+. The one beef I have with the review is:

Carlo Santos wrote:
Filler episodes in between the main story arcs are fun, but not nearly as compelling.
(emphasis mine)

These are side story episodes and not filler. They come from the manga. From my understanding, filler is usually used to refer to anime only episodes used to fill out the season when the show is in danger of running out of original source material. Prime examples that I see people complaining about most often are Bleach and Naratu.
Megiddo wrote:

I was expecting this too, and Elsie seemed surprised when his game tactics worked in real life to start with. In the end, my take was that the loose souls make the girls like game girls instead of real girls.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Carlo Santos wrote:
Filler episodes in between the main story arcs are fun, but not nearly as compelling.
(emphasis mine)

These are side story episodes and not filler. They come from the manga. From my understanding, filler is usually used to refer to anime only episodes used to fill out the season when the show is in danger of running out of original source material. Prime examples that I see people complaining about most often are Bleach and Naratu.

Filler exists in Manga too. "Usually in Anime" does not mean "always in Anime". Filler pads a story, and I think most of us know how padded many Shounen titles are before they are adapted in Anime.

zensunni wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I was expecting this too, and Elsie seemed surprised when his game tactics worked in real life to start with. In the end, my take was that the loose souls make the girls like game girls instead of real girls.

Although there was some social commentary, and though there were criticisms of the gaming industry, this show was a comedy first, a drama second. Not the other way around. People have to remember that. I mean for example, Keima pulls a simply massive Zaku-themed rickshaw around in episode two. I struggle to see how people mistook it for a serious hard-hitting social-commentary piece. Even Welcome to the NHK was a comedy (or at least, used comedy extensively).
gerbilx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show for the opposite reason most of you seem to dislike it. Out right satire and parody is more often than not just a smattering of spite. It's too easy to do, and it doesn't say all that much. It's both jaded and one sided. It's just that snarky kid you knew in high school given a voice through some artistic medium.

For me, what makes this show wonderful is that it does cast Keima in a positive light. He has heroic tendencies, and they are his own. He's a good guy, somewhere deep down there, and he's pretty good at helping all of these people out. And it's not that he's a good person because of his games. Nor is he any worse than he could be. He is an individual, and he merely bases his decisions off of knowledge that he's gained from his games, and that's it. What I absolutely adore about this show is that it never says that Keima is in the wrong for liking what he does. He doesn't drown himself in games. He's not waiting for real life to instantly become more ideal. What he has isn't traditional escapism, but a very real choice, a desire to play games because he actually, honestly loves them.

There are a lot of ways to live through life, and a lot of things to do while doing it, and what makes Keima admirable is that he does what he wants and loves to do. It would have been so much easier, and so much less meaningful to just make him some loser that the audience can laugh at as they feel good about not being an eroge or any other some such fan themselves.

And on a final note, I must say that the final arc was by far my favorite. Then, the first, second, and finally the third.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay gerbilx, since outright satire is "so easy to do", could you point me to anime that does feature satire involving the disconnect between the galge (dating sim) girls and real life girls? Just about the only one I can think of is Genshiken, and that's only a minuscule scale (the club members even comment that Saki is the childhood-friend character). Even though they say that, Saki is really interested in Kousaka because of his looks, not that they used to be childhood friends.

Since it' so easy, there must be a large amount of stuff like that. I'm not sure how I keep missing it, but sometimes the things you want just seem to elude yourself, ya know?

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched it back on CR when it was airing. I really thought it was just kind of "meh", personally. If I had missed an episode or two for some reason somewhere down the line and got behind I'm not sure I would have had the will to get caught back up and finish it.

If the second season gets Simulcasted I might watch it. But the question on my mind is, does the story really ever go anywhere?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Carlo Santos wrote:
(emphasis mine)

Filler can have a range of meaning, one being that which you are using, and the other to mean general padding of the series with stories not related to the larger plot and lacking development of the characters. I would classify the backlog episode and the multiple POV episode as the latter.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
I enjoyed the show for the opposite reason most of you seem to dislike it. Out right satire and parody is more often than not just a smattering of spite. It's too easy to do, and it doesn't say all that much. It's both jaded and one sided. It's just that snarky kid you knew in high school given a voice through some artistic medium.

For me, what makes this show wonderful is that it does cast Keima in a positive light. He has heroic tendencies, and they are his own. He's a good guy, somewhere deep down there, and he's pretty good at helping all of these people out. And it's not that he's a good person because of his games. Nor is he any worse than he could be. He is an individual, and he merely bases his decisions off of knowledge that he's gained from his games, and that's it. What I absolutely adore about this show is that it never says that Keima is in the wrong for liking what he does. He doesn't drown himself in games. He's not waiting for real life to instantly become more ideal. What he has isn't traditional escapism, but a very real choice, a desire to play games because he actually, honestly loves them.

There are a lot of ways to live through life, and a lot of things to do while doing it, and what makes Keima admirable is that he does what he wants and loves to do. It would have been so much easier, and so much less meaningful to just make him some loser that the audience can laugh at as they feel good about not being an eroge or any other some such fan themselves.

And on a final note, I must say that the final arc was by far my favorite. Then, the first, second, and finally the third.

The thing is, he shouldn't be cast in a positive light. He should be attacked because visual novels are a problem. He is not someone who should be cast as a hero. An anti-hero? A comedic foil? Yes. But he is not a heroic figure and the fact that the source of his foul personality isn't condemned makes this far too apologetic to be good. If it was mocked, destroyed, and deconstructed, it would be a lot funnier and a lot easier to watch.

The fact is, this show takes a real problem and inexplicably coddles those who should be taken down several pegs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
@ Beatdigga - I'm not understanding your apparently strong aversion to dating sims or visual novels. I fail to see how they are any different than any other kind of unproductive entertainment pursuit (such as watching anime). If people derive enjoyment from them, what's the harm? Any form of entertainment can be a problem if you devote too much time to it to the exclusion of a well-balanced lifestyle, but this doesn't seem like something that is exclusive to dating sims or visual novels. And I'm not speaking as fan of those things because I've never read a visual novel in my life and my one excursion into ero-gaming is boring me silly. Just not gettin' the hatin'.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
edited to get rid of inadvertent double post. If a mod or admin sees this, please delete.

Last edited by Blood- on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3