• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Azumanga Daioh Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cell21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes!! Finally a release thinpack edition of Azumanga added to my collection.^^.Even though i started collecting Rahxephon series with the limited edition boxset around christmas time i wasn't too bothered with ADV's marketing of thinpack dvd cases becuase buying indiviual dvds for my anime boxsets was more fulfilling than buying the whole boxset, let alone you tend to get extra information from producers and interviews with voice actors and mini poster from Full metal panic and reversble covers.However, for thinpacks they take up less space,cheaper and my recent purchase of Bubblegum crisis 2014 collection just felt like a bootleg in my opinion . It all depends on taste, if you want to wait another month or so after the final volume release then fair enough.But i tend to buy boxsets as they are more impressive as a anime collection and tend to stand out more like my Full Metal Panic chipboard boxset shining in my anime collection.It's very nice to look at as anyone would know.Azumanga is a good comedy anime series ,but the only problem is some jokes tend to be refering to Japanese culture which sadly not Japanese and the repetitve joke syndromes tend to wear out which only works once or so times and gets fustrating.But thats my taste!!! therefore didn't buy the boxset and i knew that one day that ADV might do an Azumanga thinpack edtion.I might wait a few months for Final Fantasy unlimited and Neo Ranga for it to become a thinpack.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay so... At first I was like "Cool, I haven't bought Azumanga yet, I can just buy the thinpack" ... but if it doesn't have the extras or the movie, bleh. I can't get the movie anywhere else on DVD so I'll just buy the real DVDs someday. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angieness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I work at Suncoast and usually it's just the first week we sell anime for 19.99. If you reserve the title you get to keep the sales price for 40 days until you pick it up. At the moment we're having a Miyazaki sale, all the Disney released Miyazaki titles are on sale for $15.99.

As for the whole Eva thing, we got a mysterious Eva boxset on our release schedule. It's only $39.99 and it just says Neon Genesis Evangelion Box. Have no idea what this is going to be, if it's Eva Platinum I imagine people are going to be angry. It sucks that I've been working on Chrono Crusade individually and I know they're going to do a box. So yeah after I finish up CC that's the end of my buying ADV individual discs
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ADV Films has informed us that the Azumanga Daioh ThinPak Collection does not include Azumanga Daioh - The Very Short Movie, or any other extras.

Even though I have the DVDs, I'm kind of disappointed in this. I'm not troubled by being "punished" for collecting the series a year early...but where I was going to highly recommend a number of my friends who highly enjoy Azumanga to buy it, I don't really want to anymore, especially since they're stiffed out on the movie, which may not be on the same level as the series, but it's not like you can pack it seperately. I'm willing to share my translation notes, but lack of movie is really silly. The extras on the discs were pretty lame anyway, so it's not like that part really matters.

I am torn on future thinpak releases. I want to wait on a D*N*Angel thinpak set, assuming this treatment will happen with numerous ADV titles, but the extras on the D*N*Angel DVDs are actually pretty good.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ADV Films has informed us that the Azumanga Daioh ThinPak Collection does not include Azumanga Daioh - The Very Short Movie, or any other extras.

Even though I have the DVDs, I'm kind of disappointed in this. I'm not troubled by being "punished" for collecting the series a year early...but where I was going to highly recommend a number of my friends who highly enjoy Azumanga to buy it, I don't really want to anymore, especially since they're stiffed out on the movie, which may not be on the same level as the series, but it's not like you can pack it seperately. I'm willing to share my translation notes, but lack of movie is really silly. The extras on the discs were pretty lame anyway, so it's not like that part really matters.

I am torn on future thinpak releases. I want to wait on a D*N*Angel thinpak set, assuming this treatment will happen with numerous ADV titles, but the extras on the D*N*Angel DVDs are actually pretty good.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
im willing to bet 5 us dollers there the same dvds as in the regular release just - the packins so unless the very short movie was a pack in on another disk im willing to bet its on the thin pack release.

now the translation sheets on the other hand might not be in the cases but as far as content on the disks its going to be the same.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
im willing to bet 5 us dollers there the same dvds as in the regular release just - the packins so unless the very short movie was a pack in on another disk im willing to bet its on the thin pack release.

It can't be, because the regular edition is 6 volumes long. The thinpack box set is said to be 5, which means either someone messed up in the announcement or they're putting more episodes on each disc. The Very Short Movie was included as an extra on Vol.6.

cyrax777 wrote:
now the translation sheets on the other hand might not be in the cases but as far as content on the disks its going to be the same.

There's no way they could fit those in there. The liner notes are about 12 pages (give or take) and a little thicker than what those thinpack cases will fit in addition to the cover art.

And besides, this already stated that there wouldn't be any extras, so as to not "punish" those who already bought each individual volume (like me Anime smallmouth).
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
Wake me when they release a Gantz Thinpak.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:18 am Reply with quote
Well, go ahead and defecate on my parade of cheapness Mr. ADV....

I guess I'll buy the original release when I have the money then. -_-
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
KawaiiKitty wrote:

Let's say you're a big fan of Azumanga

Which one would you get, the thin-pack or the boxset? Which one is ultimately the better deal?

It really depends on how much you are willing to pay basically for a box and some pins. Because if you already know Azumanga Daioh, then the cultural notes have less value (especially if you bought the English manga with the translator's notes). The Staff notes are occasionally fun, but they are very brief (like one paragraph), and most people would read them once, if ever.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
It's kind of a tough situation either way. The thing is, companies generally only release cheap boxsets or cheap rereleases if the title didn't sell all that well the first time around, or if they're trying to get more mileage out of a show and are trying to cater to those who didn't really want the show, but might want it now that it's half the price.

Of course, that means that more and more fans are waiting on the new releases until things end up either on sale, or in a cheaper boxset. Buuuuut, that means that the company is making less money (or even losing money) which means they'll bring over less shows, etc. Obviously, folks could just tell them to release things cheap the first time around, but they'd be in the red if they always did that.

I guess there's no real win for both parties. Buy it new the first time around, companies make enough money to get more stuff, etc. Don't buy it first, you save money by buying it the second time around but the companies lose money and can't break even. This is especially true for those shows that a lot of fans want to buy, but they either don't want to spend the money on it, or there are simply better things on the market that they'd rather spend their dough on.

It kinda makes me wonder if the money the company makes by selling cheap re-releases so soon after the first release makes up for the money they lose from people not buying the first releases..? Or if it makes a big difference? I'd love to see numbers on that one of these days.
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
dang, I'm not buying anymore of the older ADV releases...

but really, I like the deal

it's just, they need to announce it earlier so I don't get shafted... a day after getting all of pretear, they have the thin pak coming out...

anyway... come on EVA platinum thinpak... *har har har*

and before that, I'm off to sell my copy of AZUMANGA DAIOH that I got for 10$...

anyway, what about everyone else who collects their stuff, what are your feelings on the thing?

This is far from the first time they've done this. Years ago, I bought the Gunsmith Cats series on VHS... 30 minutes per tape, $30 CDN per tape, badly dubbed. (There wasn't really much choice back then though, so I bought 'em anyway...) So ultimately it $90 for a 90min. bad dub. Once I'd acquired the last tape, they released "Bulletproof," which combined all the episodes onto one tape for equal or less cost than one of the tapes I had ...like any other company would have done in the first place.
shattercone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I got this series in the regular release edition, and spent around $115 on it, with all the episodes and the boxset (about $19/disc). Whacking $45-55 bucks off this total would have been great, but now I already own it. Spending another $60 to have space for 3 more discs on my shelf is simply not worth it. Besides, then I would've spent ~$180 on the series!!

Brilliant marketing, getting people to buy things twice (or in the case of Eva, thrice or more Rolling Eyes), but irritating for those of us who are on the buying end of things. If this trend continues, no one is going to buy anything when it first comes out unless the extras are completely irresistable... Hear that ADV? You've gotta give me $45-55 in extras I want and need! Very Happy

I'd be cool with the initial individual DVD releases coming in thin packs and having an add on booklet collecting all the liner notes (similar to the booklet included in the RahXephon Movie Special Edition Boxset, even though this wasn't thin-pack), but rebuying a bare-bones release just to save shelfspace? No way. I'll get my own thinpacks and repackage myself for less than $2, thank you very much!!

My suggestion? Release everything in thin pack to start with... that way we can all fit even more anime on our shelves!
akitainu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm coming into this discussion late in the game, but I am a serious domestic DVD consumer. My wife and I have over 1800 anime region 1 DVDs. Nearly all were purchased at street date (actually before, thanks to our online retailer). Every time I see these collections...I grow red and then purple and then...realize that economics thump the skulls of loyalty. I bought the Azudai DVDs one at a time from the release date. That need is my downfall. There are people that are hungry, and people who like to fish...the wait is all the difference.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Another reason why you should buy Used DVD's whenever possible folks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4