• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku Article at Asahi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otakreg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
He's not criticizing capitalism and materialism as much as he's insulting the women who have succumbed to their effects. At least, that was my take on it: he really just doesn't like the women.

Which makes me think. How male-centric is otaku culture in Japan? I mean, here in America, if you're willing to be social, it's really not that hard to get an otaku girlfriend, but this guy is acting like 100% of women have no interests but cars and money. Maybe he just hasn't found the right kind of women yet? Or maybe in Japan, there really are no female otaku?

I've heard that "otaku" is a much more negative term in Japan than it is here. Here, it means that you like anime. In Japan, maybe all "otaku" really are anti-social male weirdos who spend all their time playing H-games...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
otakreg wrote:
In Japan, maybe all "otaku" really are anti-social male weirdos who spend all their time playing H-games...

Ever heard of Tsutomu Miyazaki? An otaku who kidnapped, rape and murdered 3 little girl? His case brought great media attention which cause many people to question the lifestyle of otaku. He had messy hair, a pale face, geeky. He was also unemployeed and stilll live with his parents at 27. So yeah, most guy probably wouldn't want to be associated with the term otaku.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
otakreg wrote:
Which makes me think. How male-centric is otaku culture in Japan?

Japanese men have "otaku" and Japanese women have "lolita goth", it all evens out in the end.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
otakreg wrote:
He's not criticizing capitalism and materialism as much as he's insulting the women who have succumbed to their effects. At least, that was my take on it: he really just doesn't like the women.

Because not only buying tons and tons of anime stuff put out by all kinds of large corporations but basing your entire life around it TOTALLY isn't succumbing to the effects of capitalism. Otaku subculture (note here that I'm not just referring to anime fans, you can be an otaku about Star Trek, superhero comics, gaming, etc) is probably the most materialistic in the world, nowhere else are things more important than human interaction. At least in mainstream society materialism is more of a status thing, not defending that kind of thinking, but at least there mass consumption of corporate goods serves a purpose and isn't just an end in and of itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
otakreg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
I think my brain kind of died halfway through that paragraph and I didn't finish what I was trying to say. That is, that the women he is criticizing judge others almost solely on a material basis, whereas otaku only buy stupid merchandise for themselves. It's not about bashing capitalism and materalism; it's about bashing shallow standards.

However, the two groups (women and otaku) share a mutual fear of each other. The otaku are afraid of the women because the women only like cars, money, and good looks. The women are afraid of the otaku because they're otaku, which in turn causes the otaku to become more secluded. It seems like a doomed chain of misunderstanding and estrangement, and both sides probably need to keep a more open mind...

Quote:
Otaku subculture is probably the most materialistic in the world, nowhere else are things more important than human interaction.

Otaku value things over human interaction, and the women that Toru criticizes judge others based on the things they have. The values held by both sides are equally sad.

Quote:
At least in mainstream society materialism is more of a status thing, not defending that kind of thinking, but at least there mass consumption of corporate goods serves a purpose and isn't just an end in and of itself.

I'd have to disagree here as well. When you say "mass consumption of corporate goods", what kind of goods are you talking about? Because I can't see why buying a new pair of $70 jeans is any different than buying a cheap pair of $20 jeans and spending the other $50 on otaku merchandise. Regardless, you're throwing away your hard-earned cash on unnecessary stuff.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Except most women I know DON'T care that much about cars and money and such, that's just a stupid stereotype. In fact, most women I know shop at thrift stores and would ramble on about sustainable energy and blood for oil or something along those lines if they caught a guy driving a flashy car. But I guess those are just the social circles I travel in...

Women, on the other hand, have very good reasons to be afraid of otaku, because otaku are known to say things along the lines of "I love Japanese women...they're so much more feminine than American women" and other such creepy things. And given my horrifying experiences in anime fandom (is it any wonder I choose to discuss the stuff online instead of real life?) that's not a stereotype at all. A generalization, sure, but there's more than enough truth to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
otakreg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Except most women I know DON'T care that much about cars and money and such, that's just a stupid stereotype. In fact, most women I know would ramble on about sustainable energy and blood for oil or something along those lines if they caught a guy driving a flashy car. But I guess those are just the social circles I travel in...

This is basically what I was trying to say when I said:

Quote:
this guy is acting like 100% of women have no interests but cars and money. Maybe he just hasn't found the right kind of women yet?

The guy probably had some bad luck in college but is definitely suffering under the assumption that ALL women are like that, which is false. (At least, it is here in America...)

Quote:
Women, on the other hand, have very good reasons to be afraid of otaku, because otaku are known to say things along the lines of "I love Japanese women...they're so much more feminine than American women" and other such creepy things. And given my horrifying experiences in anime fandom (is it any wonder I choose to discuss the stuff online instead of real life?) that's not a stereotype at all. A generalization, sure, but there's more than enough truth to it.

DEFINITELY a generalization, maybe even a stereotype... I've never said or heard any such creepy thing from an otaku...
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
otakreg wrote:
DEFINITELY a generalization, maybe even a stereotype... I've never said or heard any such creepy thing from an otaku...

Really? NEVER?!? Consider yourself very, very lucky. There are reasons why I don't often admit that I enjoy anime.
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:24 am Reply with quote
I think we've deviated here a little bit from the definition of 'otaku' which is in discussion. The otaku being discussed in this thread and article are the anti-social isolated-from-others Japanese otaku, not the American otaku...

(I'd think that to this Honda guy, a Japanese woman is just the same as other women)
Dejiko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
otakreg wrote:

Well, even Hideaki Anno did marry eventually (with the manga artist of Flowers and Bees), so who knows. He might be in for a 'Train Man Moment' somewhere later on, despite what he is saying now Wink

otakreg wrote:
Maybe he just hasn't found the right kind of women yet? Or maybe in Japan, there really are no female otaku

There are, even if the most visible part is very much into MxM romance or -to a lesser degree- smitten with cosplay (visit any Comiket cosplay gallery to see some examples or go see the movie 'Koi no Mon'... it's funny Very Happy).
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:54 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
otakreg wrote:

Really? NEVER?!? Consider yourself very, very lucky. There are reasons why I don't often admit that I enjoy anime.

Screw hiding it; almost everyone I know knows I love anime. My professors know, my advisor knows and my friends know (obviously, since anime is what introduced me to them). I don't try to hide it, and neither should you. I don't give two craps what some blonde airhead or some football buff has to say about anime, I'll gladly spread my love of Japanese animation around. If people cared about what others thought, anime wouldn't be what it is today because people would be afraid to buy DVDs, thinking that everyone in the store will make fun of them (but I guess that's what the internet is for). Also, there wouldn't be any conventions because everyone who tried to start one would be turned down for some Star Trek convention or something.

Here's an example of me defending anime:

So one day I'm walking in the cafeteria at college, wearing my Stand Alone Complex t-shirt. I'm waiting in line at the food counter to get some lunch when all of a sudden, the girl behind me says "Is that a cartoon on your shirt?" I turn around and say "It's not a cartoon, it's an anime, which is Japanese animation." She points it out to her boyfriend and they both start laughing at it. I flip off the boyfriend and he gets up in my face about how "cool" football is and how the Eagles are "gods". I'm like "I never said anything about your damn sport! You started dissing something you don't even know about, and I happen to love it, so screw you!" He pushes me into a wall and goes "Get your hands off my girl, you fat douchebag!" I'm like "I never even touched your girlfriend that you probably don't even love, you freakin' football whore! And do I look fat to you? Funny you're the only one who thinks that. Why don't you get a life and stop making fun of anything that doesn't have to do with your "kick-the-pigskin fest"? People like you suck. You are a complete stereotype - a 300-pound queer who spends his time watching the Super Bowl and acting like an animal (headbutting your friends) when your team wins and shooting people when they lose. Then you go and get drunk at a post-game party and kill yourself when you ram into a truck on the way home. You probably think I watch Spongebob and Nickelodeon garbage. Well, anime is much better than that. Ever hear of Gundam or Ghost in the Shell? No, of course you haven't; all you know of is Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, because they're everywhere. There's much more to anime than that, and it's more interesting than any boring sport you play. I would explain it to you, but seeing as how I wouldn't be mentioning the words "Eagles", and "Troy Aikman" (or whoever) you won't understand. As for your idiot girlfriend, she can suck it. No, really, she can."

And that's how I defended anime. Very Happy (Not really.)
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
(*snip*)

Just so you know, that story does not exactly render itself believable, unless you chose to omit the part wherein the supposedly 300-pound football player kicks the crap out of you for making an ass of yourself. (The only thing saving this story is the possiblity that the "Not really" at the end means you made the whole thing up.) It's better, in my opinion, to simply not play their game, so to speak, and just say something (to utilize your example) like, "Yeah, it's Japanese cartoon...thanks for noticing...have a nice day." Honestly, why would you care what two random people thought about your T-shirt? You'll probably never see them again, anyway. The only reason I would feel that I "need" to "defend" anime would be if the same person made fun of it every day, and if said person happened to be under 200 lbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
(*snip*)

Just so you know, that story does not exactly render itself believable, unless you chose to omit the part wherein the supposedly 300-pound football player kicks the crap out of you for making an ass of yourself. (The only thing saving this story is the possiblity that the "Not really" at the end means you made the whole thing up.) It's better, in my opinion, to simply not play their game, so to speak, and just say something (to utilize your example) like, "Yeah, it's Japanese cartoon...thanks for noticing...have a nice day." Honestly, why would you care what two random people thought about your T-shirt? You'll probably never see them again, anyway. The only reason I would feel that I "need" to "defend" anime would be if the same person made fun of it every day, and if said person happened to be under 200 lbs.

I did make that up. But how exactly does contradicting a loser football player make me an ass? And if some idiots laughed at my shirt for thinking it was some mindless Nickelodeon garbage (like Spongebob or Static Shock) I would get upset.
otakreg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
otakreg wrote:
Maybe he just hasn't found the right kind of women yet? Or maybe in Japan, there really are no female otaku

There are, even if the most visible part is very much into MxM romance or -to a lesser degree- smitten with cosplay (visit any Comiket cosplay gallery to see some examples or go see the movie 'Koi no Mon'... it's funny Very Happy).

Hmm... I cosplay... and I like shonen-ai... Loveless, anyone?

I'm gonna go with what space clam said and agree that there's really no need to shove our sub-culture in random people's faces. If someone disses your shirt, walk away. I've never really had a problem with this, maybe because I don't display my otaku-ness very blatantly in public. I only talk about anime and stuff when I know I'm in the company of other otaku. Lashing out at anyone who disses anime can get you a really bad reputation.
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
There were some extreme views in that article, but consider that the next time any of you decides to call themselves an otaku... Honda is an otaku. There are many like him. Simply watching Naruto fansubs doth not an otaku make. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3